Tribute to my dad

Seems like there is an unspoken message in there that I'll appropriately let go by, but I do need to comment on this part. This has not been my experience.

My father died when I was 24. Yes it hurt, but that hurt does go away. For many years now the thought of my dad simply brings feelings of fondness and love. I don't remember the two days in the small town hospital or the air evac, in which he died, trying to get him to one better prepared to treat his heart attack. I do remember the many days working with him in our family auto garage. I do remember his huge calloused hands and his humor. I do remember him strumming old time country tunes on mom's 58 Martin.

So to the OP I offer hope. It does go away. It does get better. You have the guitars, the music, the memories, and the love. That is what stays. The pain need not.

Well, everyone is different. For me, I have the memories, the love, all the good stuff. But i also have the pain and hurt, and it has never lessened. Not even a little.

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate all the kind words and encouragements. It's been a very odd journey so far, with several instances of "Oh, I've got to show my dad this" before reality sets in. The stories and remembrances from friends and family have brought many laughs and tears. Even the sad and bittersweet ones make me smile.

On a happier note, I'm really enjoying playing his guitars and amps. No matter how lost I get with one of his guitars, it still reminds me of him, and playing together. Pulling out his 513 and directly comparing it to mine is a cool experience. His Nash Telemaster is the only Tele I could ever need. Now, if I could just double my house to accommodate the doubling of gear! My ever patient wife is going to lose it one of these days.

Very sorry for your loss. my father's been gone for 35 yrs. I cant imagine what a absolute thrill it would have been playing music with him.

Back