Tremonti tuning tips

mattbfoster

Any tips for tuning a tremonti? I have a sc 58, and just bought a tremonti. Not used to tuning with a floating tremolo. Any tips? ie lowest to highest....
Thanks, Matt

Always give each string several good streches first. Start flat and tune up always ending while tightening not loosening. Use a lube like Big Bens Nut Sauce or even graphite from a pencil on the nut slots. The G slot is routinely a problem. Give the trem a push down and a pull up. Check tuning and repeat steps as needed.

A trem IS a lot more work but cand offer nice rewards!

I have zero issues with PRS trems ( I have 4 ) they get better with use. as Brian said tune up to pitch mine have been 100% spot on after first string change seldom have to tune.

Any tips for tuning a tremonti? I have a sc 58, and just bought a tremonti. Not used to tuning with a floating tremolo. Any tips? ie lowest to highest....
Thanks, Matt

I installed a Tremol-no and set it up to dive only.
It helps tuning stability and eliminates worries of all your strings going out of tune should you break a string.
Floating trems are cool if your Steve Vai but seriously ... how often do any of you pull up on the trem?

It helps tuning stability and eliminates worries of all your strings going out of tune should you break a string.
Floating trems are cool if your Steve Vai but seriously ... how often do any of you pull up on the trem?

Only when I'm playing Vai or a Pantera song.....so pretty much daily. :rock:

a good trem warble is up and down :) ( See David Gilmore and CRGTR :) )

When I got mine, I tuned it up,stretched the strings and then pushed the tremolo bar down to the body then re tuned untill it was settled, I found this useful, but took a while to stretch thr strings out

Thanks. Ordered a tremol-no. Will see how it goes installing it. Looks easy on YouTube.

I will say that when I installed mine, I had to plug and redrill the holes for the trem claw.
Not a big deal and well worth it to be able to use the tremol-no, IMO.

Another option may be to just use an "L" bracket and allen screw, like shown below.

I understand the desire to put a stop on the trem block but I just cant do it. I use mine for a tremolo affect and feeling the thing stop would be like Tiger woods hearing someone pass gas during an important shot. And yes, I do pull mine up sometimes.

I understand the desire to put a stop on the trem block but I just cant do it. I use mine for a tremolo affect and feeling the thing stop would be like Tiger woods hearing someone pass gas during an important shot. And yes, I do pull mine up sometimes.

All depends on your style of playing, I guess.
I grew up playing guitars with Floyd Rose trems that were "decked", meaning the baseplate sat flush with the body thus preventing it from being pulled up. Playing a guitar with a floating trem just feels "spongy" and unstable to me.

I would also have to think that decking a Floyd or blocking a vintage trem as discussed would offer a bit more resonance.
It also serves to help keep the other strings in tune should you break a string.
Break a string with a floating trem and you'll never make it through the end of the song.
As a matter of fact, that WOULD be the end of the song. lol ;)

You are right about string break for sure, break string finish song without guitar. All the floyds I had were full floaters but I could see where blocking a floating trem could help with energy transfer.

I put a kahler on my G&L back in the day. Screw in trem arm so I was able to swing arm opposite direction, it would touch body and bring trem back to zero to finish song. I took kahler trem off, it was black chrome and dulled my tone

Had I known I would keep it for 30 years I would have left it stock.

Back