Tremolo Bar Corrosion Advice

GWillyB

Tremolo bar (or arm) has corroded/rusted. Came with a core guitar (Special Semi Hollow). Advertised as stainless steel.Never exposed to sweat or rain. I do live near the ocean. Any advice as to how to clean and preserve? Thanks!

Core bars are stainless. CE/S2/SE are not. You can try to polish it if the corrosion isn’t too bad. Ocean air shouldn’t be enough on its own - your pickup poles would corrode first.

Did you buy it new? If so, contact PRS customer support. They’ll replace it. If you bought used, it might have been replaced with an aftermarket bar. Buy a replacement bar, they are cheap (Core $20, CE/S2/SE $10).

They are definitely stainless with the core models. I live close to the ocean. I can get there in about 10 minutes depending on how many lights I catch and if the drawbridge is up. I have also played plenty of outdoor gigs in my area and I have never had an issue with any of mine.

Hopefully CS will sort it out for you. Whether that happens or not, I have had good results on surface rust using Miracle Cloth over the years. Used to get rid of small bits that would pop up on my motorcycles. I still use Miracle Cloth and/or Gorgamyte on my frets, pup covers and other shiny hardware. I usually finish off with a silver polishing cloth to get rid of the residual oils/chemicals infused in the Miracle Cloth/Gorgamyte and to give those parts an extra shine ;~))

Back