Trem claw/screws slanted?

stankbank

On my S2 CE24, I noticed the bass string side was up higher than the treble strings. The treble side I sitting at about 1/16 or 4/64ths off the body. The bass side was about 6/64th.

TA8Dr7Q.jpeg

To balance them out (pull the bass side down), I adjusted the trem springs in the back, however, it results in the following:

vIF4RWJ.jpeg

Is this correct? It seems like alot of info online states that the claw generally needs to be even/balanced? If so, how would I ever get the bridge to be 1/16th on each side?

Last edited:
Put the claw back where it was and adjust fulcrum screws so they are even.

Release all tension from strings and springs before you do that.
Ok thanks. I’m a bit nervous to adjust them based on the severity you read about online about ruining them.

They are all pretty much level. The low E is maybe a bit higher than the others. Do I screw the Low E side into the body?

Bought it used, right?

If so the previous owner liked it with less tension on the low strings.

Probably read somewhere that it would return in tune better.

A lot of us tried that back in the day.

Just use a fairly new Phillips head screwdriver that is not to big or small and fits the screw heads perfectly and screw the bass side of the claw even with the treble side.

If you then like it, leave it.

If not learn by trial and error to get it where you do like it.

Just go slow.

You’ll have to retune every time you adjust the screws because the springs counteract and interact with string tension.

Unless you’re age, brain and skill set just can’t grasp what’s going on, you’ll figure it out.

Bought it used, right?

If so the previous owner liked it with less tension on the low strings.

Probably read somewhere that it would return in tune better.

A lot of us tried that back in the day.

Just use a fairly new Phillips head screwdriver that is not to big or small and fits the screw heads perfectly and screw the bass side of the claw even with the treble side.

If you then like it, leave it.

If not learn by trial and error to get it where you do like it.

Just go slow.

You’ll have to retune every time you adjust the screws because the springs counteract and interact with string tension.

Unless you’re age, brain and skill set just can’t grasp what’s going on, you’ll figure it out.
Purchased new here in Canada - Long McQuade. I balanced out the claw (so it is even) but the bass side of the trem is not even with the treble side. I think I need to adjust the 6 pivot screws but I am worried to mess it up.

Purchased new here in Canada - Long McQuade. I balanced out the claw (so it is even) but the bass side of the trem is not even with the treble side. I think I need to adjust the 6 pivot screws but I am worried to mess it up.
Sounds like it's already messed up...but if you're that unconfident and lack the tools and experience maybe you shouldn't do the work yourself.

But eventually it'd be good for you to learn how to do it yourself.

How old are you? Just so I know who I'm talking to. No offence intended.

Is there really an issue with it?
Does it play well?
Is the action good on it?
Are the bottoms of the strings all about the same distance from the frets across the neck?
Does it return in tune when you use the trem?

If it is functioning well, leave it alone. If it is not, take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it. They should be able to do a setup on it and get it sorted for you. If you are not someone who has worked on a decent number of guitars, the fulcrum screws on a PRS trem is not the place to start your learning process. It could be an expensive lesson.

Is there really an issue with it?
Does it play well?
Is the action good on it?
Are the bottoms of the strings all about the same distance from the frets across the neck?
Does it return in tune when you use the trem?

If it is functioning well, leave it alone. If it is not, take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it. They should be able to do a setup on it and get it sorted for you. If you are not someone who has worked on a decent number of guitars, the fulcrum screws on a PRS trem is not the place to start your learning process. It could be an expensive lesson.
Yeah... this is a good point. it does play well and its well intonated, etc..... I was just concerned as I saw/read that the uneven pivot screws can quickly ruin the knife edge so I started to ponder correcting it (hence this thread!) Maybe I am over thinking it.

@Lewguitar 41 and no experience with the PRS trem :)
So you can afford a new screwdriver if you need one.

We had someone break off the head of a tuning head mounting screw just the other day here and I'd hate to hear about that happening again.

I felt really bad about that. Felt like I gave bad advice.

Thanks for the clarification!

So you can afford a new screwdriver if you need one.

We had someone break off the head of a tuning head mounting screw just the other day here and I'd hate to hear about that happening again.

Thanks for the clarification!
That sucks. I missed that one.

No dating, But it's good to know if I'm giving advice to a 15 year old, or a 25 year old with some life experience, a job and the money to buy the right tools.

Man at 15, I had already rebuilt several junker dirt bikes with what tools I had and picked up more/better tools along the way. Lots of stories like that growing up the years before.. nothing was safe, take apart and attempt to put back together. Don't ask me how I discovered electricity! o_O

Did he break the head? I thought he stripped it? Don't feel bad, tthat's not on us. On the flip side, we got a luthier business and saved a poor guitar from a Frankenstein life!

And we've all stripped a screw..

Last edited:
A fellow teenaged dirt bike mechanic! Didja ever put some of your leftover parts in your buddy’s parts pile when he was doing a top end the night before a race? Yeah, I was a jerk.

I had a mini bike or two that I was working on and riding before 15. I had a neighbor that was several years older than me that also had mini bikes and a monster of a go cart. He put a 2 cylinder snowmobile engine on it. It ripped.

I enjoy going on long walks and making trim adjustments!

Fnar.

A fellow teenaged dirt bike mechanic! Didja ever put some of your leftover parts in your buddy’s parts pile when he was doing a top end the night before a race? Yeah, I was a jerk.

No but I did hide one of my mates valves from an engine rebuild. That went down well, NOT.

Last edited:
Back