Help with setting trem on screws after adjustment

Pauly 6 String

Hello all. I’m new to playing PRS’ and am setting up my Custom 24. The bridge was about 2.5/16” off the body at the screws so I decided to lowered it.

Having watched a PRS video I understand that getting the screws all at the same height is very important.

I have restrung it and had a hard time getting the bridge to stay put. The pic shows the best I’ve been able to do and the bridge is not sitting right in the screws.

How do I get this right. Won’t use trem until it’s sitting right.

Thanks

Paul

Be very careful. You are in the deep end of the pool here. If you do this wrong you can mess up the knife edges on the base of the trem. If you do that, you will be replacing the bridge.

You have to make sure that the groove in the screws are all at the same height. Do not judge this by the heads of the screws. Focus on the grooves. Do not adjust the screws with the strings tight. Loosen them so they are not pulling on the trem. Turn the screws a small amount at a time, 1/4 turn. From what I can see in the picture it looks like there are only two that are seated correctly, both E strings. Loosen the strings and start turning the center 4 screws 1/4 turn at a time until the gooves line up with the base plate knife edge. You do not want to get them in a bind against the base plate so make sure you pull back on the trem a little when you adjust the screws.

Thanks.

My question is with no strings and no springs why was it so hard to move the bridge up and down the screws to set it? I had to reach into the cavity and press on the block to get it set on the screws.

Thanks.

My question is with no strings and no springs why was it so hard to move the bridge up and down the screws to set it? I had to reach into the cavity and press on the block to get it set on the screws.
That is a good question. That seems a bit odd. It can be difficult to troubleshoot these things through posts on a forum but we usually get where we need to go in the end.

The bridge should just slide up over the screws fairly easily with nothing connected. Right?

I may take it apart again and start over and see what’s up. Bent screw?

I have not seen any of them be tight like you are describing. I would probably just adjust the screws and get it back to working. You could put the time into taking it all apart and not really find anything and have to start this all over again. It looks like you are not that far away from having it adjusted correctly from what I can see in the picture.

This is a setup video from John Mann.
All the screws should be level , Then I put a couple of strings and the springs on and get the bridge in the grooves , put a shim under the back of the bridge to hold it level , put on all the springs ( 4 usually ) tune up to pitch , adjust the spring claw until the bridge rides level to the body

This is a setup video from John Mann.
All the screws should be level , Then I put a couple of strings and the springs on and get the bridge in the grooves , put a shim under the back of the bridge to hold it level , put on all the springs ( 4 usually ) tune up to pitch , adjust the spring claw until the bridge rides level to the body

I just watched the video this morning.

Everything feels good now. To be honest the knife edge at the back of the screws seemed seated OK after a few tiny turns at a time adjustments.

Guitar is set up well and trem is quite tuning stable for how I’ll be using it.

Thanks for all your advice

Everything feels good now. To be honest the knife edge at the back of the screws seemed seated OK after a few tiny turns at a time adjustments.

Guitar is set up well and trem is quite tuning stable for how I’ll be using it.

Thanks for all your advice
Good to hear you got it sorted out.

Back