Torero dead spot on G-string (F#), anyone else?

Crazy Macaroni

Hi,

I just recently bought an SE Torero from a retailer's net shop, so I didn't have an opportunity to test the guitar. However, it was very
nicely adjusted by the seller. The only thing that bugs me about the guitar is a dead spot for F# (12 th fret on a ½ steps detuned) on g-string.
From other strings this particular note sustains just fine. Has any of you noticed this or other dead spots on your own Toreros? I still have a
couple of days to decide whether I want to have this guitar replaced by another copy or my money back...

I would get a replacement, unless you're really attached to that specific guitar. Otherwise you'll have to pay a tech to fix it.

If it's a true dead spot then there's little you or a tech can do to fix it.

A quick test to see if it's a true dead spot is to tune up or down that string by a step. If the F# (Wherever it now is) still has the same issue then there's not much that can be done. If the dead spot remains at the 12th fret then it's a setup issue. Perhaps a high or low fret, dodgy string, etc.

If it turns out to be a true dead spot (The natural resonance of the guitar is killing that frequency) - and you know you can't live with it - then return it.

I'd try another first before asking for a refund.

I've tried three out and not one dead spot in any of them. Must be a fluke. I'd exchange it and get another one.

Thanks for replies. I'm pretty sure that it's the resonance thing here. Nice to know that it's possible to have a dead-spotless Torero so I'm going to contact the seller...

Back