PRS 513 - Dead low E string on one pickup

zarc

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my 2007 PRS 513.
While everything is working as it should, the low E string volume on the middle pickup is very low compared to other strings on that pickup.
The low E string is working as it should on other pickups positions, meaning the problem is only with middle pickup.

I assume there is a contact issue somewhere inside the pickup on the low E string position?
I read some posts mentionning a dead pickup on a 513, but nothing yet with an issue only on one string.
Do you guys have any idea where this could come from?
Sounds like an easy to fix problem?

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Try lowering that pickup just a bit , I thought the 513 used a bar magnet ( I could be wrong ) so it would be strange that only one string lacks output. Also contact PTC they may have some insite

Thank you guys for your replies.

Unfortunately, it is not a matter of pickup height adjustment. The volume drop on that string is the same whatever the pickup height is.
When I gently tap the pickup cover with a metallic tool the sound produced is clearly lower in that area of the pickup.

Strange... Never heard of anything similar...
Did you contact PRS customer service?

I do not know how the 513 pickups are designed, but it sounds exaclty when you have a dead string on a piezzo pickup.
I will contact PRS customer service but wanted to see if you guys have already face this kind of issue

Gents, long ago, there was someone, who dared to dismount 513 pickups for some insight observation.

As far as I analyse, what I see, the pickups are built around six block magnets.

If you live in the USA I recommend to get in touch with PTC. Maybe there is on this particular pickup some malfunction on the pickup's groundplate, which is a printed circuit board, indeed.

Last edited:
Many thanks Maertl513, I had not seen that post! :)

Indeed, there seems to be individual magnets for each string. Just like with a piezo pickup, as I was mentioning.
Maybe there is a contact problem with the low E string magnet on my pickup?

Unfortunately I leave in France :(

Many thanks Maertl513, I had not seen that post! :)

Indeed, there seems to be individual magnets for each string. Just like with a piezo pickup, as I was mentioning.
Maybe there is a contact problem with the low E string magnet on my pickup?

Unfortunately I leave in France :(

There is a European PTC in Cambridge (England), if that helps.

The head of PRS Europe's Tech Centre is quite skilled with 513s. He executed Paul's order to modificate my 513 in 2014 ;-).
I can provide assistance to reach him directly, that you both figure out how to deal with your observation regarding your 513.

Hi everyone :)

Long time I did not come here but I wanted to keep you updated
I finally saw my guitar tech a few days ago and it came out that the issue was due to a partially demagnetized pickup.
Strangely it only affected the low E string...
He remagnetized the pickup which is not running perfectly fine!

I wanted to let you know in case someone else faces the same issue in the future.

Many thanks again for you help!

Back