Tom Petty- R.I.P.

Just saw the same... although it's not looking good, he's not been announced deceased, and no one aside from TMZ has reported his life support as having been discontinued. Not sure about their journalistic credibility but I hope they're wrong. Obviously it's not looking good, but he's young and I'm sure we all want him with us for many years to come.

Yeah, just heard on the radio that they've decided to pull life-support. Condolences going out to his family, friends, and loved ones.

Grateful for 40+ years of great music.

Last edited:
Just more bad news after this cruddy weekend.

I cut my teeth on those trippy Tom Petty videos in the "Southern Accents" period. That 'solo' album was killer. He always managed to be innovative in such simple, elegant ways.

Just saw it confirmed by CBS. What a drag. Only had the pleasure of seeing him once, with Lenny Kravitz opening, in '88 or '89, I think. Should have caught the Wrigley Field show this year. Great song writer, gone too soon.

Devastating. As many great songs as he gave us...I was hoping for so many more. What a loss.

"Take me as I come cause I can't stay long."

Profound sense of loss right now.

"Don't Fade On Me"

I remember you so clearly
The first one through the door
I return to find you drifting
Too far from the shore

I remember feeling this way
You can lose it without knowing
You wake up and you don't notice
Which way the wind is blowing

Don't fade
Don't fade on me

You were the one who made things different
You were the one who took me in
You were the one thing I could count on
Above all you were my friend

Don't fade
Don't fade on me

Well your clothes hang on a wire
And the sun is overhead
But today you are too weary
To even leave your bed

Was it love that took you under?
Or did you know too much?
Was it something you could picture?
But never could quite touch?

Don't fade
Don't fade on me

Last edited:
Fake news! He's not dead.

EDIT: And he's back to being really dead. RIP Tom Petty.

He's like the Schroedinger's Cat of rock stars.

Last edited:
I still don't want to believe this. For me the band occupied a certain niche that is incomparable. Onstage the band just smoked. Tom had great presence up there.

I'm totally bummed about his death. Can anyone name a better American band than Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers? If not thee best, they're certainly in the conversation.

Nope...they are far and away #1 in my book. If you look at the list of album credits for these guys (especially Mike and Benmont), it's obvious they are highly regarded. To avoid the "who's the best" argument at this time...I will just say TP is my favorite American songwriter...ever. This one really hurts.

Last edited:
Back