To mod or not to mod...?

CJM3175

My first PRS and second guitar overall was a SE Paul Allender model. I'm not goth and I don't really play or listen to metal music. I bought this guitar because it is the only SE model that has a wide thin neck and jumbo frets. My first guitar was a gibson les paul studio that had a fat 59 neck on it, so upon discovering the joy of slimmer necks I sold it. Wanting something that looked a little more me I later bought a Carvin CT6 used on ebay for about $800, but it just didn't play or sound as good as my SE so I sold it too. Anyways, after having GAS for so long I decided to try satiate it by modding my SE. First I had it PLEKD ($200), then added: locking tuners ($80), custom pickup rings ($50), a tremelo lock ($50), new knobs ($20), and a Graph Tech nut ($15). The guitar plays like butter and GAS was temporarily averted. However just a few weeks ago I became interested in Fernando Sustainers. I have always been a huge journey fan, and love Neal Schons sound. So I decided to find out how much it would cost to get as close as possible: 401 fernandes sustainer ($350), DiMarzio fast trak 2 ($80) for the neck, and a Seymor Duncan Custom Custom ($80) for the bridge. All of the prices that I have listed for these mods do NOT include the installation fees either. I bought this guitar brand new for $600... can I really justify spending another $600 just so I can improve the sound? I am pushing 30 now, I don't know how much longer I can look at myself in the mirror wearing a guitar with bat inlays. On top of all that, by the time this second round of mods is done I will have spent enough to buy a really nice used USA PRS. Should I cut my losses now and get a USA PRS that looks more appropriate to my style of playing? Or should I go where not even Paul Allender himself has gone and make the most modded PRS SE guitar ever?

The only thing that would hold me back would be those bats.... They just aren't for everyone.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with spending more on mods than you bought the guitar foe - provided that it makes it better for you and you are getting closer and closer the your own guitar nirvana.

Talk to the bats - they will tell you what to do.

Or should I go where not even Paul Allender himself has gone and make the most modded PRS SE guitar ever?

It's gonna take a lot more than a "Fernando Sustainer" and some odds and ends to claim that title.

If you can't deal with the bats (and I don't blame you) I'd say don't do it. Get a guitar that you can see yourself rockin' from an aesthetic view point and then drop the sustainer in it.... You gotta look good to feel good.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't deal with the bats (and I don't blame you) I'd say don't do it. Get a guitar that you can see yourself rockin' from an aesthetic view point and then drop the sustainer in it.... You gotta look good to feel good.
+1

I am pushing 30 now, I don't know how much longer I can look at myself in the mirror wearing a guitar with bat inlays.

Your answer, there is. The bats, ditch. Spend wisely your money. To look good, it is better than to feel good.

Your answer, there is. The bats, ditch. Spend wisely your money. To look good, it is better than to feel good.

tumblr_lz8v5rBsVh1r3a6jho1_500.gif

Mod or mod not, there are no bats.

It's gonna take a lot more than a "Fernando Sustainer" and some odds and ends to claim that title.

Fernando Sustainer+pick ups+pick up lay out (1 hum and 2 singles)+pick up type (from active to passive)+nut+tremolo lock+PLEK+knobs+tuners+custom pick up rings... I welcome all challengers who have modded their SE more than that!

Last edited:
Get a guitar that you can see yourself rockin' from an aesthetic view point and then drop the sustainer in it....[/QUOTE]

That I believe is another catch 22 aspect to this pickle. If I did buy a USA PRS, I think I would be too afraid to mod it... at all. My target being a 2013 SC245 with "legendary" 57/08 pickups. I don't think I have the balls to carve something that nice up to drop a sustainer in it.

That I believe is another catch 22 aspect to this pickle. If I did buy a USA PRS, I think I would be too afraid to mod it... at all. My target being a 2013 SC245 with "legendary" 57/08 pickups. I don't think I have the balls to carve something that nice up to drop a sustainer in it.

I feel you! Getting the stones up to mod a PRS can be tough..... it seems a little more sacrilegious at first, but then you get used to it.

SE Singlecuts are pretty nice guitars and can be found used pretty cheaply, why not grab one of those an put Fernando in there? You'll have enough money left over to buy a 57/08 for the bridge.

Get a Tremonti SE Custom. Used if you have to. Put a Custom Custom in it's bridge (I have them in a couple of my PRSs and picked them both up for $50ea on eBay..one used and one new). It doesn't have jumbo frets but does have the WT carve. Then mod further as desired.
I wouldn't automatically put a different nut on ANY SE unless you were having binding issues after going to fatter strings. I also wouldn't have it pleked but that's just me.

I have USA PRSs and SEs and I wouldn't look at the American ones just because they're American. They often need pup upgrades too (mine have) and I don't see ANY HUGE jump in quality. NOT saying USA PRSs aren't fantastic, they ARE...I'm saying that the SEs are AMAZING too.

Good luck. I don't think you're going to make a bad decision no matter how you go.

Well I have decided to let the bats fly away... if you want to see her check her out at http://www.ebay.com/itm/181436116321?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

What is your plan moving forward?

Did you know that Guitar Center has a list of last years USA PRS models that are on sale for over forty per cent off. There are some good guitars on there for very reasonable prices - less than you were planning to spend. These guitars are located in stores across the US. They will ship them to your store for you to check out and buy. I know a guy that got an awesome one for relatively small money. Super beautiful and a real players guitar as well. I never buy guitars for "the next guy". I play them the way I want to and mod them any way I want. I buy them for me and don't plan on getting rid of them. I've already done that and regretted it almost every time.

I think you made a very excellent transitional move - if you actually buy another guitar to replace it and don't give up.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back