Thinking of getting a Vela.

Velaweawaitthestorm

I've been itching to get this guitar since the release at winter NAMM 2015. Since then I have noticed a ltd. release with stop tail and satin finishes. Now the new reclaimed ltd. have come out as well. I was kinda waiting to see what PRS did for awhile because when I saw the satin Vela I thought I would probably go with one of them but this year when they released them my interest went back to the regular Vela. The only improvements I could think of would be a short scale Vela with 2 Starla pickups. Another being a bolt on Vela with alder or swamp ash body. So do you think PRS has any more plans for the Vela say for Summer NAMM? The Vela is enough cash that I don't want to lay down over a grand for them to release a bolt on Vela down the road that I would prefer. Well thanks for reading!

PRS doesn't always do what you expect. That's the preface for: I would say if there's a 22 fret bolt on again, it will be a CE22 reissue that's made like the current CE24. I highly doubt you'd see a bolt on version of the Vela. The S2 guitars all have the same necks except the 24 fretters are a bit longer. They do this for cost reasons so it doesn't make sense to start doing S2 guitars that break the mold and drive up costs.

Oh I see.

I noticed that the Starla was actually a short scale model previously but now is a 25" scale. I guess that goes along with the s2 mold as you said.

The CE 22 would be really nice. If they did a stoptail version and dragon pickups I would probably take the CE22 over the Vela.

Again I have been waiting patiently to see if they release the CE22.

My favorite PRS guitars are the CE22, Vela and Starla. I also really liked the SE One Korina!

Oh I see.

I noticed that the Starla was actually a short scale model previously but now is a 25" scale. I guess that goes along with the s2 mold as you said.

The CE 22 would be really nice. If they did a stoptail version and dragon pickups I would probably take the CE22 over the Vela.

Again I have been waiting patiently to see if they release the CE22.

My favorite PRS guitars are the CE22, Vela and Starla. I also really liked the SE One Korina!

Well, as the happy owner of a Vela, core Starla and a Korina SE One, I can tell you that you have great taste in guitars!

If you want the shorter scale, a core Starla is hard to beat... and the pickups are wonderful! That being said, I can linger on the D-style neck pickup in the Vela for days... the Vela's got a decidedly modded-Tele-like vibe to it, imo... partly because of the bridge, but just partly in the ergonomics and the scale... The SE One is a blast to play but I put a Thorn Staple Top in mine, while I never felt the need to change out any of the pups in my Vela or Starla... I don't think you could go wrong with any of them... and you can always just think of the one you decide on as the "first" (might as well get used to the idea now ;) )

... a ltd. release with stop tail ...
Wait, don't they all come with the tele-style bridge?

EDIT:

(wanders off, returns)

Well, will you look at that.
008353.jpg

Well, as the happy owner of a Vela, core Starla and a Korina SE One, I can tell you that you have great taste in guitars!

If you want the shorter scale, a core Starla is hard to beat... and the pickups are wonderful! That being said, I can linger on the D-style neck pickup in the Vela for days... the Vela's got a decidedly modded-Tele-like vibe to it, imo... partly because of the bridge, but just partly in the ergonomics and the scale... The SE One is a blast to play but I put a Thorn Staple Top in mine, while I never felt the need to change out any of the pups in my Vela or Starla... I don't think you could go wrong with any of them... and you can always just think of the one you decide on as the "first" (might as well get used to the idea now ;) )

I could see me being happpy with both the S2 Vela and Starla.

It's a shame the SE One was discontinued. However I'm covered in affordable axes ATM.

Back