Getting close to VELA Semi Purchase

I have the d-style in the neck and middle position on my S2 Studio. Cool pickup for sure. I don’t think high gain is playing to its strengths. That said, I don’t recall atrocious hum. Would a noise gate be a viable option? (Serious question - I’m a pretty new player, I honestly don’t know if it would solve any 60 hz noise).

I have the d-style in the neck and middle position on my S2 Studio. Cool pickup for sure. I don’t think high gain is playing to its strengths. That said, I don’t recall atrocious hum. Would a noise gate be a viable option? (Serious question - I’m a pretty new player, I honestly don’t know if it would solve any 60 hz noise).
Anytime I've tried the noise gate I've always thought they castrated the tone. Mind you, I've mostly tried pedals like ISP or MXR. I am a simple pedalboard type player, I really just want an overdrive, boost and/or distortion...maybe a wah. With pick-ups that can handle gain and the right amp settings the feedback and noise should be controllable without the use of a noise gate. I'm happy to use a volume pedal or roll off the volume on the guitar between songs or speaking with bandmates.

I had an issue sourcing availability of the Vela and honestly the 60s cycle hum is a deal breaker for me. If it was a regular sized single coil, I know there are lots of noiseless options out there and I wouldn't hesitate. This D type size is rather obscure and I didn't want to have to monkey about trying to modify a pick guard.

I noticed that PRS 2024 models are starting to populate on a few retailer websites, and the S2 Standard 24 in AW Satin just increased approximately 15% so I optioned to purchase a new in-stock 2023 model while there was some remaining inventory.

I actually had the S2 Standard 24 about 2 years ago in Cherry Satin and I remember being really pleased with it. I ended up selling it to fund an ES345 which I was a good guitar too, but the PRS played better although maybe not as pretty.

Happy to be back in the PRS club nonetheless.

I think the fly in the ointment is the obscure sized neck pick-up. I intend to use a lot of gain and saturation for a singing lead tone...and while playing I'm sure it won't be a big deal but otherwise as soon as you stop it's got that 60s cycle hum.

I browsed some DeArmound style pick-ups that would be a direct fit replacement but non specifically say they are noiseless or hum cancelling.

There is the mini humbucker option that would be a direct fit and I believe hum cancelling in all cases although there's not a lot of attractive options compared to noiseless single coil, humbuckers, and humbucker sized P90s. The PG13 from Dimarzio might do the trick but according to its specs it's a ceramic and I was ideally looking for a warmer Alnico 2, maybe Alnico 5 option.

Of course there's a chance I'll like the stock single coil enough to play the guitar and enjoy it for a while before I really want to get into changing something. I like everything else about it.

I strongly encourage you to try the stock pickups for a while - they sound great, from clean to very gainy. There is, as has been mentioned, a wee bit of hum from the neck with high gain, but it's really not obtrusive or unmanageable.

Back