The Wattage Conundrum - My Take

I know...it's been progressing faster than I'd anticipated. :( Now I just need to find ways of funding crazy amounts of spending on gear!

If you ever happen to need help on the film side of your ads or anything, let me know! ;)

Thanks Kazz, though the ad agencies are in charge of who does that, I can recommend some folks you can call on!

There's some confusing mismatch of details on the website. The HXDA 50 is a 50w amp with no power scaling feature. It uses a pair of EL34s to get that rating. The HXDA 100 was a different model released later, with a quad of EL34s, that had a 100w/50w switch. Two of the power tubes were put in standby for the power reduction. The website has the description of the 50 but the specs of the 100, so If they've condensed the line, we can't tell from this.

I'd be interested in knowing, just because. I'll email Jack Gretz, he'll know.

Edit: OK, well, not "just because." The real "because" is that if that's the case, I'd want one. ;)

Last edited:
All of this HXDA talk had me looking for one, and I found one about 40 miles away, 50 watt head and matching 2x12 cab (paisley). Seems like a good deal?

At the very least, try it and play it. You know the settings to use - check the thread on them! ;)

All of this HXDA talk had me looking for one, and I found one about 40 miles away, 50 watt head and matching 2x12 cab (paisley). Seems like a good deal?
We have a saying on a different (non-guitar-related) forum I frequent: Dew et!

Jack Gretz got back to me after double-checking with PRS. They offer only the 50 Watt version (not switchable to 100), and the 30.

The 100 watt version was switchable to 50, but there wasn't as much demand for it.

As Paul Smith says, "You stop buying 'em, we stop making 'em."

So there's an error on the website spec. Someone must've forgotten to delete the reference to the 100/50 watt switching that referred to the 100 watt amp that's no longer being made.

Dang, it only makes me want one more. LOL!

My 50 watt 25th Anniversary is so incredibly loud with the master dimed, that I can't even imagine how loud the 100 watt is.

My 50 watt 25th Anniversary is so incredibly loud with the master dimed, that I can't even imagine how loud the 100 watt is.

It's not a matter of loud, it's a matter of headroom.

My 30 watt HXDA is loud with the master dimed, almost as loud as my 50 was, but it has less headroom.

Doubling the power only increases the potential volume max by 3 decibels. 1 decibel is the lowest volume difference the human ear can reliably identify, according to an old Bell labs study. However, I can adjust the volume of a channel in a mix by a half a db and hear it, so I have no idea how they figured things out in their study. Nonetheless, 3 db ain't a lot of volume.

1 decibel is the lowest volume difference the human ear can reliably identify, according to an old Bell labs study. However, I can adjust the volume of a channel in a mix by a half a db and hear it, so I have no idea how they figured things out in their study.
Oh, that part is easy: you don't have average ears.

Oh, that part is easy: you don't have average ears.
Stick with me, I'll get your ears destroyed down to sub-normal in no time. Ask Markie, that ain't no lie. Don't ask 11Top, he plays louder than me! Although, CRGTR might give us all a run for our money.

PRS has a custom shop for amps doesnt it? So if you want one I would think they could build it, no?
I saw a video where PRSh was talking about it.

I'm not sure if they're still doing that. The CAD program may have bitten the dust.

I inquired through my dealer about a black tolex Grissom cab for my HXDA, and was told they couldn't do it.

Anyone know for sure if the CAD program is still around?

In between these two points I decided I wanted to get quieter amp for home use (insert the mini rectifier) so I ran out, picked up a mini rectifier head, and 1x12 cabinet and took it home plugged it in...and the head scratching began. I was frustrated by how hard and fast the volume rolled on on the amp even though it was "only" 25 watts. Modern was unplayable at 25w, and sounded thin at 10w so I settled on using Vintage mode on 25w. At the time I couldn't wrap my head around why the volume was so uncontrollable, until I found out how useful the master volume was on my Roadster.

Pretty sure from here on out if I ever own a non master volume amp again, I will probably throw a flat EQ in the loop and use it as a volume control. Between my Roadster and my Archon, I have a feeling my Rectoverb 25 will start collecting dust...

Always puzzled when I read things like this. I have no issue at all with my Mini Rec 25 in the Modern Mode with playing at lower volumes. Yes, it gets loud quickly on the dial, but "unusable" and"uncontrollable" do not compute. There also seem to be a lot of misconceptions about amps with multiple power modes, and how to use them. The 10 watt mode is not a "lower volume" mode. It's a completely different way of handling the power section, which sounds significantly different and so it must be re-adjusted for that mode. Just flipping from one power mode to the other and saying it doesn't sound good, kind of misses the purpose. The extreme example of this would be something like the TA15. With three power stages, each significantly different in feel, touch and tone, you have tons of tone shaping ability. But it is NOT just 5 watt for quiet volumes, 25 for loud, 15 for in the middle. It's not that at all. 25 watt sounds best at low volume for SOME kinds of tones, and 5 watts cranked is best for others. Etc. Another example: When I auditioned a Mesa Mark V, when I was playing the IIC+ and IV modes and with some gain, even at LOW volumes, the 90 watt setting sounded the best. 10 and 45 watt sounded and felt much different. 45 watt was (of course) not much quieter at all, but felt and sounded different. For more punch and tightness, even at bedroom volumes, 90 watts sounded best.

There's a lot of good info in this thread. I too have had 30 watt amps that needed to be loud to sound good. Heck one 5 watter I had needed to be cranked up to sound good. And I've played 50 and 100 watters that sounded good at low volume. As to the other aspects of the original question, this post is long enough so I'll share some of my thoughts in another post.

well, approximately 3dB louder. But depending on speakers/cab/etc., maybe not even that much. :)

Jack Gretz got back to me after double-checking with PRS. They offer only the 50 Watt version (not switchable to 100), and the 30.

The 100 watt version was switchable to 50, but there wasn't as much demand for it.

As Paul Smith says, "You stop buying 'em, we stop making 'em."

So there's an error on the website spec. Someone must've forgotten to delete the reference to the 100/50 watt switching that referred to the 100 watt amp that's no longer being made.

Dang, it only makes me want one more. LOL!

Les, if it eases the pain any, a 100 watt plexi is stupid loud, and thus, I'm sure your lovely wife would rather you have the 50 watt version. :)

Always puzzled when I read things like this. I have no issue at all with my Mini Rec 25 in the Modern Mode with playing at lower volumes. Yes, it gets loud quickly on the dial, but "unusable" and"uncontrollable" do not compute. There also seem to be a lot of misconceptions about amps with multiple power modes, and how to use them. The 10 watt mode is not a "lower volume" mode. It's a completely different way of handling the power section, which sounds significantly different and so it must be re-adjusted for that mode. Just flipping from one power mode to the other and saying it doesn't sound good, kind of misses the purpose. The extreme example of this would be something like the TA15. With three power stages, each significantly different in feel, touch and tone, you have tons of tone shaping ability. But it is NOT just 5 watt for quiet volumes, 25 for loud, 15 for in the middle. It's not that at all. 25 watt sounds best at low volume for SOME kinds of tones, and 5 watts cranked is best for others. Etc. Another example: When I auditioned a Mesa Mark V, when I was playing the IIC+ and IV modes and with some gain, even at LOW volumes, the 90 watt setting sounded the best. 10 and 45 watt sounded and felt much different. 45 watt was (of course) not much quieter at all, but felt and sounded different. For more punch and tightness, even at bedroom volumes, 90 watts sounded best.

There's a lot of good info in this thread. I too have had 30 watt amps that needed to be loud to sound good. Heck one 5 watter I had needed to be cranked up to sound good. And I've played 50 and 100 watters that sounded good at low volume. As to the other aspects of the original question, this post is long enough so I'll share some of my thoughts in another post.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you, I left out the fact that I did fiddle with the EQ after changing the wattage setting, as it was basically impolied. I am fully aware how the different power options affect the amp. I guess what I meant was that for playing at PRACTICE volumes in a smaller space Modern mode is difficult to control the volume with. At gigging volumes the amp is quite fun to play with.

Back