The unofficial Silver Sky thread

I also don't think music and musicianship is just about sound/tone either. Aside from the tone, the instrument choice just from a aesthetic point of view is important to me
Totally. A Wangcaster that sounded like angels would still be a Wangcaster.

John apparently deleted this photo from his Instagram?

I dont think so. It was on his "story" which is automatically deleted after 24 hours. I saw it yesterday and this morning. It was up for a really long time, id imagine the full 24 hours

Apparently Paul was asked about this at NAMM. He clammed up, but they persisted and asked “this year?” And he said “no way”. So I take that to mean NAMM 2019. ;) Got plenty of time to speculate......

Last edited:
I'm conflicted about this.

I love PRS guitars, and the specs for many models (neck carves, radius, scale, fret size, etc) usually fit me very well. Pickups and tuners can always be changed if needed to tweak a PRS even more to your tastes or needs.

However, a Strat is a different animal. They are quirky guitars. I'm 56 years old and have played a lot of Fenders in my life. I know what I want in an ultimate Strat, and Fender does not make it. There were always things I wanted and needed to make it a better guitar for me. And what John Mayer wants in a Strat isn't what I want either, in that I've played his older F sig models. Close, but not there.

I'm sure PRS is very capable of making John's ultimate S type, and that's great. A lot of people will dig it and buy it. But PRS will also be in competition with Suhr and others that will make a high quality S guitar to your specs. 7.5 to 9.5 compound radius on a fat V neck with jumbo SS frets, your choice of woods? No problem.

PRS is not typically a derivative guitar builder. A limited run here would make more sense to me, and not cloud the PRS brand image.

It's cool, but does anybody else feel a little dirty about it? At least with past S style guitars that PRS has made (EG, NF3, DC3, etc), they've been enough of their own flavor. This looks like somebody took a F Strat, changed the lines on the body a tiny bit, and slapped some birds on it. Now, I'd be as excited for a guitar with Strat sound and PRS quality and playability, but something about this feels wrong.

What they did was actually take the DC3/BM/NF3 body directly and change the pickguard :)

Personally, i dig the pickguard on this more :)

Reverb sent out an interesting article on this guitar today. Very interesting comments have been posted in response to the article...

:confused:

Reminded me that PRS guitars arent exactly everyones 'cup o tea'

What they did was actually take the DC3/BM/NF3 body directly and change the pickguard :)

Personally, i dig the pickguard on this more :)

Can anybody see that it looks closer to the DC3 body shape than a F strat? I'm trying to determine whether it really looks smaller than a F strat or not. If it were smaller, I'd definitely be into that.

For some reason, I always thought a NF3 was a wider/flatter body than the DC3.

If people want chocolate make chocolate if people want vanilla make vanilla. I would certainly give it a go!!

Anything that helps the brand is good for all of us PRS lovers.

Can anybody see that it looks closer to the DC3 body shape than a F strat? I'm trying to determine whether it really looks smaller than a F strat or not. If it were smaller, I'd definitely be into that.

NF3 and DC3 are same body shape. Yes, I think this looks very similar if not identical in shape, just with more traditional style parts added on.

Reverb sent out an interesting article on this guitar today. Very interesting comments have been posted in response to the article...

:confused:

Reminded me that PRS guitars arent exactly everyones 'cup o tea'

I got that notice from Reverb but didnt't at any comments. Now you've got me interested and heading back to see.

Ship me your DC3 and I'll take some side-by-side pics for you. :)

Someone on FB claimed to have played the proto and said the pickups were fantastic. No detail, just that they were winners.

Hmmmm, interesting. While not following this like a lot of guys, I have to say that this version really turns me off. I understand the concept/appeal, but it looks to much like the source instrument to be a PRS. If I was in the market for this (which I am not), it would have to offer some REALLY amazing playability perk to sway me past an F. I am not really sure of the reasoning behind this particular design. Granted I am not a part of the design team, but to me it would make more sense (again, Mayer is fueling this not me) to take the S2 body carve, bolt-on a neck, give it 3 singles and the controls that the artist requests and be done. Again, I get that this guitar is for Mayer - but from the overall standpoint of what PRS has always attempted (in my observations) this doesn't demonstrate much in line with the company's innovations and "improvements".

I am glad people are pumped about it, and I understand the overall direction - but I am not digging it on several levels.
My sentiments exactly

Back