The unofficial Silver Sky thread

Yup I feel the same way but that’s just me. All the best to this guitar (if it’s launched) and folks who like it or buy it.

Count me in as well, each to its own and I truly believe they'll be great guitars, but feels odd to me. To me this is going a little too far, PRS has it's "strats" already, with their own character and still some straty tones.

One of the things that instantly distinguishes the PRS SC from the LP, aside from the subtle but apparent shape difference, is the lack of a PRS SC pickguard, whereas most LPs are seen with the guard.

Perhaps they could have tried this same F-shape guitar sans pickguard?

Kevin

One of the things that instantly distinguishes the PRS SC from the LP, aside from the subtle but apparent shape difference, is the lack of a PRS SC pickguard, whereas most LPs are seen with the guard.

Perhaps they could have tried this same F-shape guitar sans pickguard?

Kevin
Interesting question. I have a hypothesis (more like a personal hunch really) that the pickguard along with the hollow underneath is responsible for part of the Strat signature tone. Mounting the pickups on a thin pickguard renders the guitar into a pseudo hollowbody. Strats have always sounded a little like hollow bodies to me, and perhaps that’s why. Just a hunch really.

While I'm excited to check one of these out, what I'm really excited about is to see if they allow some of the dealers to have some of their own special limited runs with unique colors or wood combos. This would be an EXCELLENT platform for some of the authorized dealers to get creative with....and don't even get me started on how a Private Stock might turn out. :rolleyes:

I'm really digging that, except for the top mount jack. That's a Strat feature that needs to die, IMO. I hope it's routed for humbuckers underneath. I'd love to see one with a 58/15 LT or 85/15 in the bridge.

I agree the design is a bit on the nose, but so many Strat features persist because they work so well. PRS have tried the market so many times with Strat-inspired guitars that featured things a lot of people in the market didn't want. This new guitar makes sense to me; play the game directly against the competition and make the best guitar you can for what the market wants. Best case scenario, you have another 594 level success. Worst case, it flops and we can finally put the idea of a "PRS Strat" to bed.

It's cool, but does anybody else feel a little dirty about it? At least with past S style guitars that PRS has made (EG, NF3, DC3, etc), they've been enough of their own flavor. This looks like somebody took a F Strat, changed the lines on the body a tiny bit, and slapped some birds on it. Now, I'd be as excited for a guitar with Strat sound and PRS quality and playability, but something about this feels wrong.

I grew up thinking guitars and strats were synonymous. If someone told me to draw a guitar at any age from 3-present I'd be picturing and drawing a strat.

This doesn't make me feel dirty or wrong in the same sense as you. However, it is sooooooo similar to a strat that I'd probably just get a strat. The cosmetics of the neck don't appeal to what I want in a strat. I'd like to hear it put through it's paces on a youtube demo before I make my own final judgement.

I also don't think music and musicianship is just about sound/tone either. Aside from the tone, the instrument choice just from a aesthetic point of view is important to me. That may be an unpopular opinion but I don't think I'm the only one, and I don't want to lie and say my interest in guitars is only about tone and playability. Of course, if you disagree, it's probably safe to ignore my opinion.

I'm really digging that, except for the top mount jack. That's a Strat feature that needs to die, IMO. I hope it's routed for humbuckers underneath. I'd love to see one with a 58/15 LT or 85/15 in the bridge.

I agree the design is a bit on the nose, but so many Strat features persist because they work so well. PRS have tried the market so many times with Strat-inspired guitars that featured things a lot of people in the market didn't want. This new guitar makes sense to me; play the game directly against the competition and make the best guitar you can for what the market wants. Best case scenario, you have another 594 level success. Worst case, it flops and we can finally put the idea of a "PRS Strat" to bed.

I really agree with this.

Looks nice. Not sure if I would buy one as presented, but with a maple fretboard and some different color options, and I might be swayed...at the right price, of course. If this is a $3K+ MAP guitar, I'll probably pass until I find one gently used.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, interesting. While not following this like a lot of guys, I have to say that this version really turns me off. I understand the concept/appeal, but it looks to much like the source instrument to be a PRS. If I was in the market for this (which I am not), it would have to offer some REALLY amazing playability perk to sway me past an F. I am not really sure of the reasoning behind this particular design. Granted I am not a part of the design team, but to me it would make more sense (again, Mayer is fueling this not me) to take the S2 body carve, bolt-on a neck, give it 3 singles and the controls that the artist requests and be done. Again, I get that this guitar is for Mayer - but from the overall standpoint of what PRS has always attempted (in my observations) this doesn't demonstrate much in line with the company's innovations and "improvements".

I am glad people are pumped about it, and I understand the overall direction - but I am not digging it on several levels.

That's a fair point. That said, I've had some G&L guitars that did feel different from a Fender and had their own sound. I have an ASAT that is basically a Tele but it's got a more modern feeling neck and the bridge pickup is fatter with more mids - exactly what I like to hear in a Tele. Fair game I say, they do the Singlecut models anyway, only the Gibson die-hards seem offended for some reason. Mind you, they never have a bash at ESP making the Eclipse. I think they feel threatened.

Interesting question. I have a hypothesis (more like a personal hunch really) that the pickguard along with the hollow underneath is responsible for part of the Strat signature tone. Mounting the pickups on a thin pickguard renders the guitar into a pseudo hollowbody. Strats have always sounded a little like hollow bodies to me, and perhaps that’s why. Just a hunch really.

I think it's a good hunch.

I've always thought the most significant elements which determine Strat tone, in order (and much more than anything else):

single coil pickups
pickguard mounting
tremolo bridge
bolt on neck
maple neck (when maple)

Again, I get that this guitar is for Mayer - but from the overall standpoint of what PRS has always attempted (in my observations) this doesn't demonstrate much in line with the company's innovations and "improvements".

I don't think there's any way to know this yet. The bridge design looks unique, but we have no idea what's going on with the pickups and controls, scale length, neck design, etc. Obviously you can count on the birds and the legendary PRS attention to detail. Let's be real: A Singlecut 594 looks A LOT like a Les Paul upon a quick glance, but the aforementioned details, especially once you get one in your hands, are what set it apart and make it a better guitar.

I see this from two points of view... having the high name recognition of John Mayer associated with PRS; and, PRS as a brand, what it is know for.

The first point is for PRS the company - high visibility, able to meet the very specific needs of a high profile artist and drive more PRS sales. The world needs another guitar hero, and while Mayer might not be a guitar hero in the true sense, he certainly has a high profile across several genres, which is a marketing dream for PRS. That's the "duh" part - of course PRS would jump all over this opportunity to work with him!

But from the PRS "brand" perspective, IMO, PRS doesn't need to be copying other well established/iconic guitars. If Brad Paisley came along, would we be looking at a PRS T-style guitar? At this point, PRSi pretty much have instant recognition - you know a PRS when you see one. On the other hand, a high-end brand like Suhr or Tom Anderson base their guitars on the iconic originals, and produce incredible versions of those. But, most people probably couldn't pick out a Suhr or Anderson in a lineup if they didn't see the headstocks. Again, my opinion, PRS could have stopped at the JM amp and Modern Eagle. Heck, Santana has been on PRS's roster for 30 years and that guitar is still going strong. I have other opinions, but I'll stop here. :)

I don't think there's any way to know this yet. The bridge design looks unique, but we have no idea what's going on with the pickups and controls, scale length, neck design, etc. Obviously you can count on the birds and the legendary PRS attention to detail. Let's be real: A Singlecut 594 looks A LOT like a Les Paul upon a quick glance, but the aforementioned details, especially once you get one in your hands, are what set it apart and make it a better guitar.

Oh, I totally agree. Again, we're not seeing the whole guitar either. I guess I am just more "stunned" at how close the guitar resembles the F. I have no real dog in the fight because this type of guitar doesn't appeal to me - I learned long ago that the S wasn't my thing....I go T every time, lol. It was just kind of a visual shock/disappointment.

But I do agree - too soon to really know what the guitar brings to the table.

I see this from two points of view... having the high name recognition of John Mayer associated with PRS; and, PRS as a brand, what it is know for.

The first point is for PRS the company - high visibility, able to meet the very specific needs of a high profile artist and drive more PRS sales. The world needs another guitar hero, and while Mayer might not be a guitar hero in the true sense, he certainly has a high profile across several genres, which is a marketing dream for PRS. That's the "duh" part - of course PRS would jump all over this opportunity to work with him!

But from the PRS "brand" perspective, IMO, PRS doesn't need to be copying other well established/iconic guitars. If Brad Paisley came along, would we be looking at a PRS T-style guitar? At this point, PRSi pretty much have instant recognition - you know a PRS when you see one. On the other hand, a high-end brand like Suhr or Tom Anderson base their guitars on the iconic originals, and produce incredible versions of those. But, most people probably couldn't pick out a Suhr or Anderson in a lineup if they didn't see the headstocks. Again, my opinion, PRS could have stopped at the JM amp and Modern Eagle. Heck, Santana has been on PRS's roster for 30 years and that guitar is still going strong. I have other opinions, but I'll stop here. :)

Yeah, but from this one pic of the body, there is near instant recognition that it isn't a Fender, Anderson, Suhr, etc. The scoop, pickguard shape, knobs, and bridge design are all proprietary. A little more subtle, but the jack mount looks different as well and the long horn is narrower. The birds are of course instantly recognizable as PRS.

Yeah, but from this one pic of the body, there is near instant recognition that it isn't a Fender, Anderson, Suhr, etc. The scoop, pickguard shape, knobs, and bridge design are all proprietary. A little more subtle, but the jack mount looks different as well and the long horn is narrower. The birds are of course instantly recognizable as PRS.
True. But, let's face it, Mayer needed a replacement for his S, so that's what PRS built him, even if it does have some PRS touches. The JM Modern Eagle was a different story - that was all PRS.

I think it's a good hunch.

I've always thought the most significant elements which determine Strat tone, in order (and much more than anything else):

single coil pickups
pickguard mounting
tremolo bridge
bolt on neck
maple neck (when maple)
Pretty much totally agree with what you listed there, only difference being the order! How nice it is to see someone with the same thinking! I would add a light alder/ash body to the mix too. It adds more vibration to the body and perhaps augments the hollowbody effect.

Back