The Siggy Mira Special - Wanda

justmund

Plank Spanker
As mentioned in the Modified Monday thread, here's the build of my S2 Mira Semi-hollow. A bit of background first: I've got a SE Semi-hollow with 53/10s in it and my plan was always to put "Siggy" switching on it (2 x mini-toggles for the coil taps), plus some more US parts I had lying around, a toggle left over from a CE22 I put a Graphtech Ghost in, plus some US pots left over from a Stripper I put push-pulls in (that's sounds way more dirty than reality). I never got around to it, and actually I don't play that guitar much, not sure why, but the 624 got about 95% of my play time. I've always had a ping on for Seafoam Green too, I considered a refin in Seafoam on the 624 but my budget juts wouldn't allow it at the time.

Then the S2 semi-hollows were released and the Mira in Seafoam was right up my alley. Right off the bat I knew that I had to have one, and that I would drop another set of 53/10s I had in there, plus do something about the pick guard, I considered buying a white pearloid from the store, hacking off the "rings" and putting proper rings on it, but then I wondered what else I had in my drawer... Oh there's a Narrowfield left over from pulling apart my SE EG, there's a proper toggle, and some US pots, and some mini-toggles. Surely I can route a hole in there for the Narrowfield, at least any mistakes will be covered up by the pick guard...

Then came time to procure one, contacted a dealer, no stock for over a month. I looked at my timetable and if I didn't get the guitar here and done within 4 weeks, it would be another 9 weeks before I could touch it again (work/holiday/work). My hammer of broness Timmy Lee BallztotheWallz hooked me up with DFD from WildWest who had one on their shelves. A quick deal was done and the "Mighty Seafoamer" was on it's way to me. A few projects around the house took priority but a week before I was due to head off I went into guitar mod land...

On the operating table:

IMG_0026.jpg

A peek under the hood

IMG_0030.jpg

Nekkid

IMG_0047.jpg

Testing the pick guard shape with MDF

IMG_0054.jpg

Trialling the new pick guard (I had this cut by a luthier after supplied the template)

IMG_0056.jpg

Put some copper tape on the back

IMG_0057.jpg

Last edited:
Loaded pick guard

IMG_0072.jpg

Wiring almost done, just the earths to do

IMG_0071.jpg

Taped and marked out for the new hole

IMG_0074.jpg

The start of dremeling

IMG_0077.jpg

End of routing, a bit of paint chip but that doesn't matter

IMG_0079.jpg

Last edited:
So the name, Wanda... I originally thought "SMS", as in Siggy (Siggy switching), Mira (obvious), Special (like the original Swamp Ash Specials with an uncovered single coil between 2 covered humbuckers). Then the guitar turned up smelling like... fish... My hangover didn't help but it wasn't the most pleasant smell, certainly not the chocolatey goodness I'd had with my last 2 new guitars. Some jokes were made :) and I settled on Wanda (as in "A Fish Called Wanda").

Why did I put a NF in the middle? Because I use the " 2-4 positions" pretty often. I settled on re-using the original push-pull to activate the middle pickup, mainly because I wanted to keep the toggle and I never use the middle pickup by itself. I used all the original caps and even put it the original tap resistors (they're inside the bits of heat shrink coming off the mini-toggles).

This was a bit of a step up for me, I've never routed a hole in a guitar (I've extended/deepened a cavity) and the funny thing was I had to use a dremel, simply because my routers base is too wide and would have fouled on the neck! Was time consuming and not the neatest job because of the 10 or so passes I did, but you can't see it so it doesn't matter! Also never rewired a guitar that completely, I should have drawn a wiring diagram but I just went off logic. I was pretty surprised when everything worked (actually I'll admit I wired the mini-toggles in upside down, but luckily I did a "tap test" with a screwdriver before I strung up).

How does it sound? Fantastic. I can't put it into words right now since I haven't played the guitar much, but it was very nice. Split tones are great, but I wasn't 100% happy with the tones once the NF is activated. I think the NF is slightly too low (there's a limited amount of adjustment) to get really quacky, so I may need to cut a little bit out of the springs to enable a bit more height. I also forgot to connect the bridge ground wire too (doh!), so I'll need to pull it apart next string change anyway.

I'd love to go all uncovered, if PRS ever do a squabbin \m/ and I can find an uncovered neck 53/10 (from a P22), I'll be all over that combo like white on rice!

Tone samples in a few weeks if I get a chance between work trip and holiday.

Thanks again to TLW and DFD for helping me make this happen!

Sorry about the epic posts, congrats if you made it this far!

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

No, not bright at all. The Mira is all hog, so you get warmth plus body from the semi-hollow. I've never considered the 53/10s to be bright either, warm yes, but less bite than say 57/08s or 59/09s (IMO). Having said that I'm coming from the 624, which is very bright and focused (Alder body, maple neck/board, bolt on, steel block, narrow 408s) so that may be skewing my perception/ears.

That is awesome! Love the detailed documentation of the process. Makes me think I really need a project guitar.

That's just insane...in a good way. Great work!!! I love the creativity of your mods.

Day-yum! That's awesome! Congrats on another drool-worthy mod project. I do really like the new pickguard over the S2 original. I hope a permanent change to the line happens soon.

Back