The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Glad to see everyone excited about it but....
f7a5e5acfc5e88de76b775a8866a1fb2fcf1b64ba05c28da6be3d45e9a8cf1c3.jpg
that is so cool.

Interesting quote in this month’s Guitar Player from Spanish classical guitar maker Manuel Reyes, who makes wonderful guitars, that mirrors what Paul R. Smith says:

“It is much less the wood than what you do with it.”

I’m putting it in this thread, because I’d also opine, it’s much less the look of the guitar than what you do with it.

It’s probably not difficult to make a guitar that looks like a ‘63-64 Strat. Hell, the parts are freely available from just about everywhere.

It’s probably a little more difficult to get the sound of a really great ‘63-64 Strat right. Whether Fender can do it with their Custom Shop guitars isn’t the issue; they’re far more expensive than the Silver Sky.

Based on personal experience, I don’t think most current standard Fender offerings really nail the wonderful tone of these old instruments, but of course there are always a few that do.

I’m certainly not anti-Fender; I like Fender tons and tons, they make wonderful stuff.

But I’m open to the idea that PRS is capable of getting superb single coil sounds absolutely right. And why not? Suhr, Grosh, and many other guitar makers are all about that traditional Fender thing.

My takeaway, based on the videos I’ve heard, is that PRS does the right stuff with the design and the wood, and the whole ball of wax. I’m not really much of a Strat player; I find traditional PRS styles more my cuppa tea. But I will 100% try one with an open mind.

What I don’t understand is why so many people won’t even try one?

Last edited:
A neck with a Kerf Joint? I think that is why some people won't bother at that price point when a brand new strat is less than half of the Silver Sky.

Let alone you can get any number of used custom shop strats at the same price points, as the Stratocasters' sales have wained what they once were.

What I don’t understand is why so many people won’t even try one?

It's preconceived opinions. Some people automatically disregard PRSi, just like some do with any other brand. They won't give it a shot because they KNOW what it is. Just from the picture. It's essentially what Paul refers to as "listening with your eyes". They'll never know if it's a good bargain because they'll never give it a chance.

Admittedly, I don't think it's for me. A Strat just doesn't seem to fit my playing style, and I've got a couple guitars that get me close enough for my purposes. I've had a love-hate relationship with Fender guitars anyway. I'd love to find a Tele I like, but no luck. I'm not in the market for this - but he'll yeah I want to try one out. I want to see what they've done. Maybe I will end up with one - I didn't think the Mira was for me, but I was wrong.

Back