The "New" 408?

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
In all of my celebrating over the new "th3m1ke" Sig model (AKA the new SE 7-string), I totally missed something interesting.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but the flyer mentions the following at 2PM on Friday:

MAIN STAGE: New 408 and the 2 Channel “H” product demonstration
Paul Smith, Davy Knowles and Brian Ewald will give you an in-depth look at the new 408 and 2 Channel “H” amplifier

Is that a new version of the 408 pup? A new 408-based guitar? TAWK ta me, people!

Last edited:
It has to be a new model called the "408" based around the pickups. I know most speculation was that the 408's would find a home in the Modern Eagle V, but now I'm not so sure. Exciting to know something is coming either way.

It's gotta be true - everything that I work up hard and save for that's "limited" makes it into production somehow...waiting for the SE 408 ;)

In all of my celebrating over the new "th3m1ke" Sig model (AKA the new SE 7-string), I totally missed something interesting.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but the flyer mentions the following at 2PM on Friday:

Paul Smith, Davy Knowles and Brian Ewald will give you an in-depth look at the new 408 and 2 Channel “H” amplifier

Is that a new version of the 408 pup? A new 408-based guitar? TAWK ta me, people!

My bet is on a new 408 guitar! I would guess McCarty shape and thickness, no binding, no sinker neck and regular birds (2011-12 Birds unless they are changing), at "regular" PRS pricing a la the stripped 58's. Probably 10 Top and Quilt Options, and who knows, maybe the Artist Package too. It will be the return of a McCarty, but with 408's it in. My guess anyway, makes sense...

But my Sig Ltd for sale would STILL be the least expensive 408 option out there! :D

(Interesting that they are highlighting the H by itself. I am told the H has had some significant tweaks since its inception, and that the PRS Team and Artists are really digging it now! I just got one, haven't played it yet as it is up in Ottawa where I gig, but I will get a chance to play it next week, through a new 4x10 I got with it. I may get a second one for home as I do not have a good amp for cleans since I sold the Dallas. Not that the Sewell, MDT and Blistertone can't do cleans, they can, I just like to leave the knobs where I like them for the gain tones, having a 2 Channel Amp with a dedicated clean channel will be nice to have in the mix at home...)

I think they will release a Modern Eagle V (not a V shape...LOL) with 408 electronics and/or a McCarty style guitar with 408 electronics and call it Experience Limited. Then, a couple of months latter, they will release a regular model with the 408 electronics.

I may get a second one for home as I do not have a good amp for cleans since I sold the Dallas. Not that the Sewell, MDT and Blistertone can't do cleans, they can, I just like to leave the knobs where I like them for the gain tones, having a 2 Channel Amp with a dedicated clean channel will be nice to have in the mix at home...)

Hey, I completely understand.

Why would any monarch want to, you know, actually be forced to get off his tufted paisley divan, take a couple of steps, and have to turn those big, heavy knobs? I mean, such a burden!

And then you just have to turn the knobs back to where they were. Of *course* you need a 4th amp in that one room to prevent that disaster from happening! ;)

Last edited:
Some different combinations.....................

004.jpg

Hey, I completely understand.

Why would any monarch want to, you know, actually be forced to get off his tufted paisley divan, take a couple of steps, and have to turn those big, heavy knobs? I mean, such a burden!

And then you just have to turn the knobs back to where they were. Of *course* you need a 4th amp in that one room to prevent that disaster from happening! ;)

EXACTLY!!! So glad you understand where I am coming from! ;) LOL

You nailed it, the biggest problem is actually remembering where to put the knobs back TO! :D

You nailed it, the biggest problem is actually remembering where to put the knobs back TO! :D

Not that I would dare to discourage you from fulfilling your dream of world amp domination, my lord, but it has been suggested that there are things that the -ahem- commoners do in their huts, and these things may help you until you are able to achieve complete conquest and thereby fulfill your dream of becoming perhaps even more mighty than The Destroyer:

Some of the commoners, the ones with the more filthy habits no doubt, actually use a - ahem - white grease pencil to mark the spots. I know this is impossible for you, as are small stickers on the surface of the face plate of the amp, so may I suggest an alternative that might work?

Certain of these serfs will draw upon a sheet of ordinary paper, small circles to represent the knobs on the amp. After they have found an appropriate setting, they will place upon these circles a small mark. This mark designates a certain setting. They will then label this sheet of paper, after all circles have been marked, "Clean Setting." They will then cunningly reproduce upon another sheet of paper, similar circles, and lo, they will then mark said circles with a certain setting, and place upon said sheet of paper the title, "Gain Setting." And they will do this for as many settings as they have, thereby recording for posterity their favored settings! Clever subjects, are they not?

Moreover, certain of the -ahem-middle class of your subjects have acquired an electronic device capable of being carried in their pockets for voice communications that will also take photographs, almighty one! And said photographs can be taken of amp settings instead of the use of the circles and the paper!

Even more incredible, sire, is the fact that certain of these subjects have discovered that the circular control knobs on their instruments are actually capable of controlling the amount of gain that the amp produces, and realizing this, are able to use said knobs to play both clean and with higher gain upon the same settings of said amplifier!

Furthermore, certain of your subjects are able to use one of their three amps for a clean amp, and the other two for gain amps, without touching their amplifier's control knobs at all other than to set them up on any given day! Said commoners then are able to make several choices among their tones at one sitting, and among said amps, mirabile dictu, they are capable of rotating which amp between said three will be the clean amp for such day!

Last edited:
Whoops, I think I lead us into hijacking the 408 thread into an amp thread, sorry about that Hans!! ;)

(Les - My smartphone of choice is an iPhone, but I have hundreds of pics on it. But you are giving me an idea to copy a pic to Evernote (my favorite note-taking program, I track all my guitar stuff in it, GAS wish list, songs I am learning and want to learn, lesson priorities, etc.) with a description of what I like about that setting and if I am using anything like the clean boost or OD. Thanks inspiring the idea!!)

Okay, let's resume speculation about the 408 guitar!! :D

Whoops, I think I lead us into hijacking the 408 thread into an amp thread, sorry about that Hans!! ;)

(Les - My smartphone of choice is an iPhone, but I have hundreds of pics on it. But you are giving me an idea to copy a pic to Evernote (my favorite note-taking program, I track all my guitar stuff in it, GAS wish list, songs I am learning and want to learn, lesson priorities, etc.) with a description of what I like about that setting and if I am using anything like the clean boost or OD. Thanks inspiring the idea!!)

Okay, let's resume speculation about the 408 guitar!! :D

I'll resume the hijack because...well, because! I use the iPhone to document sessions and then just make a file and load the pics onto my computer, and stick 'em in the file. Same basic concept.

However, I also keep a notebook, and find that it's faster to simply open the book and look up a setting in that. Yeah, old fashioned, low-tech, I know. ;)

I created a line drawing of the front panel controls and labeled them in a free computer drawing program that took me about five minutes, and put two on a page. I printed out however many pages I figured I'd need in the next few weeks, and of course can print more as needed.

So all I have to do is put a pen/pencil tick at each control setting to remember it, and this takes all of two seconds. I left plenty of room for notes on guitar, guitar control settings, etc. Put into a standard binder, all I have to do is flip through it to be reminded of settings I like.

I also printed out the 25th Anniversary amp owner's manual I downloaded from the PRS site (didn't see one for the HXDA but I know the HXDA is based on the 25th Anni amp), and stuck that in the notebook, along with some notes on the tube types and brands that came with the amp, etc.

Seems like a good idea, and it's a fast reference that sits right by the amp. I'm glad to share my little jpeg file with anyone with an HXDA who might want one to print out.

Last edited:
I'll resume the hijack because...well, because! I use the iPhone to document sessions and then just make a file and load the pics onto my computer, and stick 'em in the file. Same basic concept.

However, I also keep a notebook, and find that it's faster to simply open the book and look up a setting in that. Yeah, old fashioned, low-tech, I know. ;)

I created a line drawing of the front panel controls and labeled them in a free computer drawing program that took me about five minutes, and put two on a page. I printed out however many pages I figured I'd need in the next few weeks, and of course can print more as needed.

So all I have to do is put a pen/pencil tick at each control setting to remember it, and this takes all of two seconds. I left plenty of room for notes on guitar, guitar control settings, etc. Put into a standard binder, all I have to do is flip through it to be reminded of settings I like.

I also printed out the 25th Anniversary amp owner's manual I downloaded from the PRS site (didn't see one for the HXDA but I know the HXDA is based on the 25th Anni amp), and stuck that in the notebook, along with some notes on the tube types and brands that came with the amp, etc.

Seems like a good idea, and it's a fast reference that sits right by the amp. I'm glad to share my little jpeg file with anyone with an HXDA who might want one to print out.

Great ideas here, I am definitely going to try that, thanks Les! With 4 PRS Amps, it will be hard to remember which settings for which amps with which guitars, this will come in very handy! ;)

Back