The evolution of HFS

Mortenz

The HFS pickup has been in production for decades, and I'm curious if its sound has evolved over time or if it has remained consistent. I'm aware that variations in production might lead to slight differences in sound and the sonic characteristics can also be influenced by the diverse range of guitars they are installed in.

I'd love to hear from those who have followed the evolution of these pickups—from the era of the silverback 1990s, through the phase with the golden back and golden label 2000s, up to the most recent Squabbins edition 2009+. Have there been noticeable changes, or have they remained the very same?

Although I don’t like the pickup, I liked the one in my ‘91 Standard (white label) exponentially more than mid 2000’s ones.

I didn’t care for the Vintage Hot (HFS) in my ‘90 Studio though.

I really loved the HFS/VB set in my old (first) PRS - a '96 Custom 24 - and, on a nostalgic whim, I ordered a set to replace the Dragon 2s in my '04 CE22 which I never loved nearly as much as the Dragon 1s in my '97 CE22.

They just arrived and I am anxiously awaiting their install!

and, on a nostalg
I really loved the HFS/VB set in my old (first) PRS - a '96 Custom 24 - and, on a nostalgic whim, I ordered a set to replace the Dragon 2s in my '04 CE22 which I never loved nearly as much as the Dragon 1s in my '97 CE22.

They just arrived and I am anxiously awaiting their install!
Did you order the square ones? Please let me know if they sound the same as the pair you had in the 96 cu. 24.

Did you order the square ones? Please let me know if they sound the same as the pair you had in the 96 cu. 24.
No, they were pulled out of a Custom from the mid-late 90s...so I am expecting them to sound pretty stinking close in another maple-topped PRS:):)
spdbv4oboldpyehejjqq.jpg

No, they were pulled out of a Custom from the mid-late 90s...so I am expecting them to sound pretty stinking close in another maple-topped PRS:):)
spdbv4oboldpyehejjqq.jpg
Nice, the ones from the 90s are selling very fast in the UK. There must be something with them :).

Back