The Dream PRS Amplifier Thread

Oh, and Alan............ WAAAYYYY to much info. You need to keep those kind of things buried deep deep in your subconscious mind.

Do not say 'buried deep' to me talking about this.

Just. Don't.

Great...now the flashbacks are starting...

I think we're getting pretty far afield of the concept of a dream amplifier thread with all this talk about Alan's body parts being probed by various things, though I'll admit that I started it with the Viking business and all the blue guitar talk.

Not that you guys really want to hijack the thread I'm sure. :(

Come to think of it, I've met Alan and he does walk a little funny...

Oh, wow, flashback, I remember that pedal when it first came out. They were using a tube completely not for its intended purpose or something.

Back to amps for a moment - I was just thinking about how much I like my DG30 while I was playing it this afternoon. My HXDA needs a new preamp tube, and while I now have several to install in it, I am under doctor's orders not to lift anything over a certain very light weight, and therefore, cannot lift the amp to turn it around, flip it over, and replace the damn tube.

I am frustrated beyond imagination by this, and my wife is the doctor's enforcer.

Fortunately, in a few weeks this entire nightmare will be over and I will be a normal human being again.

I hope.

The DG50 is crazy heavy, too.

So I flipped it on its front. (Carefully, of course.)

Of course, if it isn't already on the floor, you're screwed -- which HXDA do you have, the head or the combo or what?

PS Seriously, follow the doctor's orders, hernias are nothing to sneeze at! (Go ahead and repeat the latter part of that sentence to your doctor, it's actually pretty funny to them.)

Last edited:
Back to amps for a moment - I was just thinking about how much I like my DG30 while I was playing it this afternoon. My HXDA needs a new preamp tube, and while I now have several to install in it, I am under doctor's orders not to lift anything over a certain very light weight, and therefore, cannot lift the amp to turn it around, flip it over, and replace the damn tube.

I am frustrated beyond imagination by this, and my wife is the doctor's enforcer.

Fortunately, in a few weeks this entire nightmare will be over and I will be a normal human being again.

I hope.
Well, I volunteered to help you once before when you were having your string change issues, and you didn't take me up on my offer. That wont deter me from volunteering to help you with your tube change on your amp though. Just send the amp and tube to me and I will change it out for you and send it back to you right away......... well,, Ill send it back to you when I get around to it anyway.

I doubt you'll ever see a 5 watt Archon for the reasons Les mentions above. Everything I've read about the Archon series says it would work best with a push-pull power stage. Most 5 watters are SE Class A 1 power tube setups.

Yes, Suhr took a separate path with the Corso and instead of the usual single EL84, chose a two tube, push pull setup. An singled ended class A design certainly has it's qualities and they can be very appealing. But big powerful sound, and the ability to control a high gain pre stage are probably not amongst them. Their strengths are the smooth even order distortion, vibey, loose feeling, easier feedback at lower levels (yikes with a high gain preamp stage, IMHO!). I'm oversimplifying for the purpose of not writing a book. LOL

(And Les, I was in line, cash in hand to buy a Corso after Pete Thorns demo, but months later still no amp, and I bought a Mesa TA15 instead. Seeing you comment favorably about it here more than once lately has gotten me interested again).

Well the blackstar ht5 is a class A/B with a single 12bh7 in the power section running push pull. That's a $500 amp so if they can pull it off then it shouldn't be that hard. Sometimes you just gotta think outside the box.

Give me a call, I'm only a few hours away. You've got the number.

I hope.

I'm so new to this so don't make fun if me but this is what I would like. Take a Rowland Jazz Chorus, tube it, low watt its, add some bass with some gain channels and add some reverb? A tube based Princeton Chorus?! Kind of cool…probably not? I bought a CE24 without thinking that my little blues junior would have some gain based on the pickups vs the single coil fenders and p90's. with no pedals A bit but not much leading me to believe that I need to either boost the front end or get a more high gain, multi channel amp. Again. Picker that wants to sound like a pro so would be better spent on lessons! Through my Music man 50 that I sold due to the blast factor….perfect.!

Every time I go back to my MDT 4x10 special "+tweaks" build, I'm thinking I already have my ideal amp. I should probably email PRS and find out exactly what those tweaks are.

I'm so new to this so don't make fun if me but this is what I would like. Take a Rowland Jazz Chorus, tube it, low watt its, add some bass with some gain channels and add some reverb? A tube based Princeton Chorus?! Kind of cool…probably not? I bought a CE24 without thinking that my little blues junior would have some gain based on the pickups vs the single coil fenders and p90's. with no pedals A bit but not much leading me to believe that I need to either boost the front end or get a more high gain, multi channel amp. Again. Picker that wants to sound like a pro so would be better spent on lessons! Through my Music man 50 that I sold due to the blast factor….perfect.!
That's not far from describing the Dallas 50w w/ a Strymon El Capistan or Ola. Doug hasn't made a lower power version of the Dallas, to my knowledge, but the Archon has pretty darned great clean channel with tons of gain on tap in the other channel. There's a 25w version of that amp.

Took delivery of my DG30 yesterday. Ran it thru an Orange 2x12 OB cab and my Custom 24. No pedals.... just guitar, cord, amp (which is the way I'm playing more often these days). Definitely likes to be cranked....didn't have it too loud, but man....when you hit the sweet spot, sit back and enjoy! :biggrin: This could turn into my main amp real easy....:top:

My first PRS amp :) Two Channel H with EL34s in the power section and a presence mod really special with my rosewood neck PRSi it might even push my Boogie out of #1 ( not yet )

Took delivery of my DG30 yesterday. Ran it thru an Orange 2x12 OB cab and my Custom 24. No pedals.... just guitar, cord, amp (which is the way I'm playing more often these days). Definitely likes to be cranked....didn't have it too loud, but man....when you hit the sweet spot, sit back and enjoy! :biggrin: This could turn into my main amp real easy....:top:

My first PRS amp :) Two Channel H with EL34s in the power section and a presence mod really special with my rosewood neck PRSi it might even push my Boogie out of #1 ( not yet )
Two new amp days...sweet! :top:
Theres a prerequisite of cranking it. Just gotta be done. No excuses, no apologies. :rock:

Mike, I'll bet you could get some tasty, low gain crunch just prefect for your Tonal Insanity pedals. Keep the master high, though, and let the Aurora Borealis take it to the next level. :cool:

Sweet!

I use mine on just about every project I do these days, along with the DG ported back cab that was made for it; pretty nice combination, b/c the cab really works well with the amp.

Of course claptons nearly deaf these days, quite likely from standing too close to drums and amps too often. There is more than one reason why low wattage amps are absolutely an increasing trend

Of course claptons nearly deaf these days, quite likely from standing too close to drums and amps too often. There is more than one reason why low wattage amps are absolutely an increasing trend

I have had custom molded earplugs for 15 years to prevent hearing damage from drums, errant bass players deciding to slap a note just as I'm setting up a mic, etc.

Works great.

Back