Patrick Montgomery

Just one more...
I have been sitting on this for a while as my father in law checks out the forums - but I can finally share this with you guys! My FIL is a huge gear nut and Game of Thrones fan, so I built him the “Valyrian Steel” by “Iron Tone” for Christmas. It’s a KingTone Duellist clone, and he loved it! When he opened it he said he thought it was a real brand he hadn’t heard of but was embarrassed to admit it (as a gear nut he must know them all!). After trying it out, and him singing its praises, my wife dropped the bomb on him that I built it. It’s the most excited I’ve ever been to give a gift.

I just thought it was pretty cool, and was pretty proud of it, so wanted to show it off to you guys. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

KifSxWK.jpg
D0XAHnz.jpg
lC4mEXU.jpg
7DYfzoE.jpg
NHPkwgb.jpg

That is stunning! It looks like a super premium boutique pedal. Super nice.
Thank you, I appreciate it! I’ve been building amps and pedals for a few years now and it’s amazing what you can do with a $300 laser engraver, some paint, and a photoshop-like software all from home. This is by far my favorite and best looking pedal though!

Thank you, I appreciate it! I’ve been building amps and pedals for a few years now and it’s amazing what you can do with a $300 laser engraver, some paint, and a photoshop-like software all from home. This is by far my favorite and best looking pedal though!
I want to know a little more about this engraver thingie some time. Your results are truly professional.

I want to know a little more about this engraver thingie some time. Your results are truly professional.
Thank you! For this one I used an Ortur Laser Master 2 (that died on me after this pedal). I’ll be using an xTool going forwards. I use AutoCAD to make 1:1 outline of the pedal, drill holes, and text so my measurements are right. I move that over into Photoshop to add any graphic images. I remove any background and send that as .png to Lightburn with the best resolution my engraver is capable of and engrave it as an image. One like this took about 2 hours to engrave.

Once I have that I drill the holes, clean the engraving with alcohol, and then fill the engraved part with fine paint pens. Sand off any paint that gets out of the engraving, clearcoat, and there you go. I usually go with powder coated enclosures I order online, those turn out better than spray painting your own. If you want more info send me a PM sometime!

I have been sitting on this for a while as my father in law checks out the forums - but I can finally share this with you guys! My FIL is a huge gear nut and Game of Thrones fan, so I built him the “Valyrian Steel” by “Iron Tone” for Christmas. It’s a KingTone Duellist clone, and he loved it! When he opened it he said he thought it was a real brand he hadn’t heard of but was embarrassed to admit it (as a gear nut he must know them all!). After trying it out, and him singing its praises, my wife dropped the bomb on him that I built it. It’s the most excited I’ve ever been to give a gift.

I just thought it was pretty cool, and was pretty proud of it, so wanted to show it off to you guys. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

KifSxWK.jpg
D0XAHnz.jpg
lC4mEXU.jpg
7DYfzoE.jpg
NHPkwgb.jpg
Looks magnificent! How about a tone demo?

Thank you! For this one I used an Ortur Laser Master 2 (that died on me after this pedal). I’ll be using an xTool going forwards. I use AutoCAD to make 1:1 outline of the pedal, drill holes, and text so my measurements are right. I move that over into Photoshop to add any graphic images. I remove any background and send that as .png to Lightburn with the best resolution my engraver is capable of and engrave it as an image. One like this took about 2 hours to engrave.

Once I have that I drill the holes, clean the engraving with alcohol, and then fill the engraved part with fine paint pens. Sand off any paint that gets out of the engraving, clearcoat, and there you go. I usually go with powder coated enclosures I order online, those turn out better than spray painting your own. If you want more info send me a PM sometime!
Thank you. The enclosure is powder coated first. I wondered how that went. Thanks for posting the whole process. Pretty cool!

Thanks for the run down. What clear coat do you use? That's where I usually run into trouble.

Thanks for the run down. What clear coat do you use? That's where I usually run into trouble.
For this one I used Minwax Polycrylic. Spray Max USC and Eastwood 2k Automotive clear seems to be the best overall but it’s expensive. I like the immediate results of Minwax Polyurethane spray but always have trouble with it yellowing - cool on a vintage guitar, not on a new pedal lol. It also depends if I’m using oil vs water based paint pens.

For this one I used Minwax Polycrylic. Spray Max USC and Eastwood 2k Automotive clear seems to be the best overall but it’s expensive. I like the immediate results of Minwax Polyurethane spray but always have trouble with it yellowing - cool on a vintage guitar, not on a new pedal lol. It also depends if I’m using oil vs water based paint pens.
You're using the spray then? I've been brushing for forever, the spray looks like a win I will try that. Thank you!!

Back