That Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEguitars

Mod Edit: This conversation split out to preserve the vibe of the PSF thread.

This is like the worst private stock top ever IMHO
psf56-10-jpg.3843

Last edited by a moderator:
psf56-10-jpg.3843

If i was the one who had spec'ed and was waiting for this one i would figure your comment was about the sh!tt!est thing you could say about it.......like why dont you just piss in his cornflakes....

Last edited by a moderator:
psf56-10-jpg.3843
IMHO it's bangin'! I'd love to be the owner. I'd pick something like this, regardless of wood type, for its uniqueness. Someone has to go against the grain.

That top is figured KOA. Rare, very difficult to find in large sizes, and endangered. It's not going to offer figure like a nice maple, but it's beautiful in its own regard. TEHO.

IMHO it's bangin'! I'd love to be the owner. I'd pick something like this, regardless of wood type, for its uniqueness. Someone has to go against the grain.
Koa is very cool. I had a koa PS built a couple of years ago because it was a really nice piece of wood with a very different look than you usually see on an electric guitar. It was a bit challenging to pick a fingerboard for it, but Paul Miles noticed that the top was big enough we could use a piece of it for the fingerboard. Then I decided to leave it all naked, no inlays (even though they are included in the private stock price). It isn't to everyone's taste but I like it. It was the last of my crazy woods.

That top is figured KOA. Rare, very difficult to find in large sizes, and endangered. It's not going to offer figure like a nice maple, but it's beautiful in its own regard. TEHO.

If i was the one who had spec'ed and was waiting for this one i would figure your comment was about the sh!tt!est thing you could say about it.......like why dont you just piss in his cornflakes....

Koa is very cool. I had a koa PS built a couple of years ago because it was a really nice piece of wood with a very different look than you usually see on an electric guitar. It was a bit challenging to pick a fingerboard for it, but Paul Miles noticed that the top was big enough we could use a piece of it for the fingerboard. Then I decided to leave it all naked, no inlays (even though they are included in the private stock price). It isn't to everyone's taste but I like it. It was the last of my crazy woods.

OK. I think that about covers how the forum feels when someone craps on someone else's guitar.

Note to JEguitars and anyone else contemplating doing the same: if you don't like someone else's guitar, whether it is posted in PSF, a NGD, or part of their harem, keep it to yourself.

KOA is definitely on my list of future builds. I bet it sounds amazeballs. I once saw a PS that had Koa body, neck AND board. Rare indeed.

OK. I think that about covers how the forum feels when someone craps on someone else's guitar.

Note to JEguitars and anyone else contemplating doing the same: if you don't like someone else's guitar, whether it is posted in PSF, a NGD, or part of their harem, keep it to yourself.
Agreed. Once everyone gets over this post, it's actually a cool opportunity to educate yourself on wood species identification, how to identify grades, wood grain variations, lumber processing, finish recognition, etc. Fine, so if you thought that top was a mediocre maple top with a honey gold toned finish and you were obviously wrong, great. Take note and learn more about wood, there's shizloads to know, and no one's born a wood expert. I knew shite about wood until I started building guitars as a hobby. I built some faking horrible guitars and learned a boatload about wood. Wood is seriously cool and way easy to underestimate and under appreciate, but is the mother of tone when we play these guitars we love.

Is the fretboard binding also koa? Maybe stained to match the top?

If you're referring to the picture you quoted, it's hard to tell because of the masking tape, but I believe there are other pics of this guitar as having a maple board. If that's the same guitar, I think you might be right. Very cool looking.

psf56-10-jpg.3843
Uh oh! As a Koa aficionado, I must say I'm slightly offended by that comment. Imagine if this happened to be Tim Mahoney's new PRS (his actual guitar is my avatar). Do you think he'd be keen on seeing you at a 311 show? Probably not.

I'm saving my pennies to own a Private Stock some day and if I had the opportunity to pick this Koa top, I'd be damn happy to welcome it into my stable.

We are all free to express our opinions here on the forum but a little discretion goes a long way in keeping everyone happy to be part of this great experience. My 2 cents. Shutting up now

Keep up the great work Hunter. Any and all photos welcome IMHO.

I still stand by my comment. I know you're all huge fans of PRS and so am I. First, figured Koa is not THAT hard to get, as a builder myself I know this. Second, that is still the worst private stock top I have ever seen, washed out in a bunch of areas, and weak curl. For as much as these cost the top should be far more strong than that.

I still stand by my comment. I know you're all huge fans of PRS and so am I. First, figured Koa is not THAT hard to get, as a builder myself I know this. Second, that is still the worst private stock top I have ever seen, washed out in a bunch of areas, and weak curl. For as much as these cost the top should be far more strong than that.

Everyone has an opinion, that's cool. No one is saying that the top in question has to be beautiful to you, really.

The objection is that you are being rude to the owner. There are plenty of wonderful guitars in this thread and others that just are not to my taste. Color, model, number of frets, pups, finish... we all have things we like and things that are deal breakers. What they all have in common, especially for PS, is that someone picked those woods and specifications specifically - over many other choices. It is something someone wants, the way they want it. If something is not for you, why not just move along? What possible contribution does it make to the community when you rag on someone else's dream?

We don't have many rules, but this is number one:

1. General Forum Conduct and Etiquette

Our rules are simple: "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything", "treat others as you wish to be treated", etc.

We're all here for the love of music and instruments. Please treat your fellow forum members with respect and with respect for their opinion, as different as it may be from your own. Any "trolling", personal attacks or unbecoming behavior is against forum rules and won't be tolerated (and it just makes you look bad). We won't agree on everything, but let's not focus on disagreements.

Be kind!

Edit: I split this conversation out to preserve the vibe of the PSF thread.

Last edited:

AS a builder who puts his work out there.............I have seen some of your posts on other forums with woods for future builds..... you should be a little more sympathetic of dumping on some one else's builds......not gonna win many new customers that way....

Everyone has an opinion, that's cool. No one is saying that the top in question has to be beautiful to you, really.

The objection is that you are being rude to the owner. There are plenty of wonderful guitars in this thread and others that just are not to my taste. Color, model, number of frets, pups, finish... we all have things we like and things that are deal breakers. What they all have in common, especially for PS, is that someone picked those woods and specifications specifically - over many other choices. It is something someone wants, the way they want it. If something is not for you, why not just move along? What possible contribution does it make to the community when you rag on someone else's dream?

We don't have many rules, but this is number one:

1. General Forum Conduct and Etiquette

Our rules are simple: "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything", "treat others as you wish to be treated", etc.

We're all here for the love of music and instruments. Please treat your fellow forum members with respect and with respect for their opinion, as different as it may be from your own. Any "trolling", personal attacks or unbecoming behavior is against forum rules and won't be tolerated (and it just makes you look bad). We won't agree on everything, but let's not focus on disagreements.

Be kind!

Edit: I split this conversation out to preserve the vibe of the PSF thread.

Well said! Couldn't agree more.

AS a builder who puts his work out there.............I have seen some of your posts on other forums with woods for future builds..... you should be a little more sympathetic of dumping on some one else's builds......not gonna win many new customers that way....

Ditto this! Lost one already.

That you're insistent on behaving like a jealous competitor really steams me.

Someone picked that top. PRS doesn't randomly assign them in PS guitars. And being in the business, you know this, certainly. In fact, your website says that you, yourself, picked PS tops for Rudy's at PRS. So you know what the deal is.

There is a purpose to your criticism, and it's obviously to promote your own stuff. You're here with an agenda.

So you've made someone feel badly for no reason at all other than to aggrandize your own product.

You are also a competitor to PRS if you're a builder, and shouldn't be here at all doing this. Period. No one's fooled into thinking you're a PRS enthusiast. And your home page advertises the PRS logo but you're not on their authorized dealer list, so your use of the logo is also very fishy - if not a possible trademark infringement.

You're trying to get customers obviously, but this isn't the way to do it.

You have Facebook page, where you advertise your own guitars for sale. I wonder if you would appreciate people rewarding your efforts with similar "courtesy" as you've shown here?

I was going to link your page showing that you're a competitor, but I decided you shouldn't get free advertising. You have a lot of nerve coming here to diss a competitor's product. This is against all the rules of common decency amongst competitors, and I would never consider buying a guitar from you after this.

Last edited:
Lol I'm not in competition with the 3rd largest guitar manufacturer, trust me. I'm pretty sure their sale figures dwarf mine by the millions. I sell enough of my own to make me content. I have no interest in posting any of my work here as this is the PRS forum.

Uh my website says I picked tops for Rudy's at PRS? What?

Again, I stand by my comment. I doubt any of you were considering purchasing from me regardless, so it really doesn't bother me how you perceive my saying that's the worst PRS private stock top I've seen. Despite your level of hurt, it remains the worst I've seen. That doesn't make the other beautiful ones they do any less, nor does that make the high standards I have for my own builds any lower.

Also, people can say whatever they want about my work or tops. It's part of it. Some people love it, some people don't. Doesn't mean I furiously research them demanding satisfaction for a slight. I just keep on keeping on.

Y'all have a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back