Ten Thousand Things - Rough Cut Oats Demo

Yeah, I agree about TA. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to them. Can't be driving, that's for sure. And I can only take them in small doses.
Exactly my thoughts on Transatlantic. Its sort of a variation of prog that has all the hallmarks of prog in terms of instrumentation and sound, but isnt challenging enough. Like...Yes's Relayer is challenging AF. Mahavishnu Orchestra is challenging AF. Modern prog bands in the vein of Transatlantic, or bands that lift massive elements from Spocks Beard or Glass Hammer, they don't feel as adventurous. I need to be in the proper mood to listen to that stuff for long periods of time.

I guess the other side of neo-prog which is more metal influenced (ie Animals as Leaders, Tesseract, Periphery) I just dont get it. For whatever reason, distorted lower extended range guitars never sound right to me. Polyphia is different, they get labeled as metal but its more jazz fusion than anything. Them and CHON, I like those guys.

Reactions: jxe
Wow, thanks! I'm really just some country bumpkin with too much time on his hand sometimes. I really wanted to try to write something that pushed the boundaries of my skill to the edge of disaster. Writing for instruments I'm not familiar with was a trip too, but fun.
my wife was aghast, we both enjoyed it. i told her this is what non-rush prog was like.

So uh...I'm kinda nervous about showing this but I would like some feedback, and I suppose the bread is baked enough for you to get an idea of what it tastes like, so to speak. So, an explanation is in order.

This is the leadoff song from an album that has been YEARS in the making. The piece is called Ten Thousand Things, based off the Eastern philosophical concept of the same name. I wont go too far into the spiritual stuff, but lyrically its sort of a reflection of my own spiritual journey over the course of the last decade. This has been a hard project, and alot is my doing. Procrastinating, losing focus, taking on something probably too ambitious for my skill level, so right now I'm shelving it for a short time while I complete a competing project that will be done far quicker. I need to refocus myself. However, I do at least have this to show you.

The recording posted here is comprised of two movements: "Skycycles" and "Yet Still".

"Skycycles" is fully instrumental, taking cues from similar part of Kansas's The Pinnacle and themes inspired by Yes' Future Times/Rejoice. Its not really an overture, but a statement of the main theme followed into various subsections branching off it. Sort of like "here's a thread, let's see where it goes", type thing. The main theme is intended to be cyclic, so it basically ends where it begins and can therefore in concept repeat forever. At the time I was getting into classical music concepts, namely the reoccurring motif that if simple enough can be played in different keys and modes, acting as a connecting thread through the length of the song regardless of what's going on. Musically, probably the most complex junk I've written. Doesnt mean its good, just means its difficult, like taxes. There's still issues, instrument levels, some of the guitar harmonies are slightly off proper tune or timing, getting rid of "scaffolding" that's still there, working out some of the counterpoint melodies with the bass here and there, reverb levels...just many little things.

"Yet Still" has lyrics and is more straight forward. This part introduces the closing theme, well...80% of it anyway. It's a bit rougher, some things arent as synced up as they should be. I was inspired by a bit of "Frame by Frame" by King Crimson, and "Close to the Edge" by Yes. I have issues with timing in certain areas, still some "scaffolding" that needs to go or needs to get cleaned up, program in the OB-3 in more places.

So uh...the rest of it. Probaly six-ish movements, maybe....18 minutes total? I dunno, there's more work to do. ALOT more work. I hope you enjoy, let me know what you like, what you dont like, etc. Oh yeah, as far as credits, I played everything, all guitars, bass, keys (a combo of actual playing and fishman triple play for more complicated stuff), and drums are Superior Drummer 3 (combo of playing live triggers and note-by-note building in editor). Its a nightmare.

Nicely done indeed!
Got hits of Yes and ELP in there.
I was going to ask about how the percussion was done and then saw what you did. Makes sense. Snare might be a tad loud.
Anyway, holy carp! Great job, really like it.

Exactly my thoughts on Transatlantic. Its sort of a variation of prog that has all the hallmarks of prog in terms of instrumentation and sound, but isnt challenging enough. Like...Yes's Relayer is challenging AF. Mahavishnu Orchestra is challenging AF. Modern prog bands in the vein of Transatlantic, or bands that lift massive elements from Spocks Beard or Glass Hammer, they don't feel as adventurous. I need to be in the proper mood to listen to that stuff for long periods of time.

I guess the other side of neo-prog which is more metal influenced (ie Animals as Leaders, Tesseract, Periphery) I just dont get it. For whatever reason, distorted lower extended range guitars never sound right to me. Polyphia is different, they get labeled as metal but its more jazz fusion than anything. Them and CHON, I like those guys.
I could have written this post. Sounds like we are in the same boat.

Impressive stuff! Congrats on getting it out there, you have ZERO to be afraid of!! I really loved the part from 2:20 to 3:00, that was my fav of the various licks in the first section. I also found that the parade of competing riffs in the first few minutes was a bit disconcerting, but you do you! I also agree that the snare is a bit bitey, not sure exactly what needs to be done, but it is dominating in my ears for parts of the piece. Based on the wording of the original post, I kept waiting for the lyrics, you should put up a version that let's us hear that as well.

Thanks for sharing this excellent piece of work! I love the artists mentioned and this type of music, but I am a cowboy chord guy with a lot to say lyrically, so I will not be producing anything like this anytime soon!! Awesome that you can and do!!!

Impressive stuff! Congrats on getting it out there, you have ZERO to be afraid of!! I really loved the part from 2:20 to 3:00, that was my fav of the various licks in the first section. I also found that the parade of competing riffs in the first few minutes was a bit disconcerting, but you do you! I also agree that the snare is a bit bitey, not sure exactly what needs to be done, but it is dominating in my ears for parts of the piece. Based on the wording of the original post, I kept waiting for the lyrics, you should put up a version that let's us hear that as well.

Thanks for sharing this excellent piece of work! I love the artists mentioned and this type of music, but I am a cowboy chord guy with a lot to say lyrically, so I will not be producing anything like this anytime soon!! Awesome that you can and do!!!
Thanks! Sorry, should have put that in the original post that there are no vocals yet. The wording will need some work. What I can tell you is the verses are comprised of words that have very long, deliberate enunciation. So, think a bit of the way Tool's lyrics are crafted, or Jon Anderson's for that matter, treating the words like slow runs of notes, choosing particular syllables. Well, that's the idea anyway. Snare is crackin for sure, I may try a few alternatives just for kicks. Since this is all SD3, the flexibility you have with drums is unparalleled. The sacrifice is so much work has to be done to get a human performance from a midi track, but with effort you can do it. The key is recreating ghost notes and off-timing the hits ever so slightly.

The part you mentioned from 2:20 to 3:00...straight rip from Kansas's The Pinnacle. That song was such a massive inspiration, it singlehandedly got me into prog years ago. Rush and Yes came a little bit later, but it was Kansas (and Spirit) that did it at first.

Nicely done indeed!
Got hits of Yes and ELP in there.
I was going to ask about how the percussion was done and then saw what you did. Makes sense. Snare might be a tad loud.
Anyway, holy carp! Great job, really like it.
Yeah, snare seems to be a bit loud. I may have to reel her in a tad. SD3, which was the VST for this, is a fantastic tool for quality midi drums. I have been thru em all, I started with EZDrummer years ago, then moved on to SD1, Addictive Drums, BFD 2 and 3. It's been that search for something that really hits all the right buttons for being able to pass for the real thing. SD3 is it. BFD3 is pretty great too, but I keep going back to SD3 due to the lack of kits for BFD. Addictive Drums is good, light on memory and disk space, and has an already mastered quality to it that makes it easy to drop in quick and have something that works. However, its nigh impossible to get something organic from it, and sounds weak compared to SD3 samples.

Yeah, snare seems to be a bit loud. I may have to reel her in a tad. SD3, which was the VST for this, is a fantastic tool for quality midi drums. I have been thru em all, I started with EZDrummer years ago, then moved on to SD1, Addictive Drums, BFD 2 and 3. It's been that search for something that really hits all the right buttons for being able to pass for the real thing. SD3 is it. BFD3 is pretty great too, but I keep going back to SD3 due to the lack of kits for BFD. Addictive Drums is good, light on memory and disk space, and has an already mastered quality to it that makes it easy to drop in quick and have something that works. However, its nigh impossible to get something organic from it, and sounds weak compared to SD3 samples.
Good to know, thanks. I've been mucking around with Modo Drum from IK. Haven't dug too deep with it yet but it sounds good.

Back