Tell me about the '94 McCarty (please)

MikeChandler

I had a 2005 with IRW neck, it was my favorite guitar but I traded it for a gibson historic R8 (foolish me). I had bought that guitar new at GC in 2006.

I was looking online and found a '94 McCarty, with some minor damage and repair at a seemingly great price.

The seller descriptions says:

"McCarty Sunburst, Moon inlays, There is some water damage that cause a finish split/check from the stoptail stud to the toggle switch, The water also caused the headstock seam to open and our shop reglued this, With hardshell case, EC-"

What can you tell me about the '94? How does the neck compare to a 2005? Were there any changes, other than the birds? How about pickups?

Thanks in advance! Pics are here:

418957-1000x696_zpst6jpqk04.jpg

418957B-1000x696_zpsjd7lbnfs.jpg

418957D-1000x696_zps9rjugwwg.jpg

418957E-1000x696_zps3nwbhhwr.jpg

418957C-1000x696_zpstxyowc2i.jpg

Last edited:
I, personally, would pass on that guitar unless the price was absolutely killer because I'd have it shipped directly to PTC.

The original (1994) McCartys used covered Dragon neck pickups. Apart from that, no changes.

PTC is the PRS in house repair/mod "step below private stock in name not in skill" group. I have had 2 projects done by the PTC and gladly sing praise in their skill and attention to customer specs. At that price you could send to ptc to do a refinish to fix the issues caused by the water damage and get back a new out of the factory finish and setup. Depends if you want to go that route For less than $$$$ i would get it and do just that.

Really they'd just have to fill the crack & refinish, inspect and maybe redo the veneer seam on the headstock. But I've seen/owned/played guitars with more damage than that one.

Thanks for the info, I will call them and get their opinion on the repair.

That seller has a very good repair shop btw. He also has one of the largest rare guitar collections in the world open to the public. So I would not anticipate any shenanigans from them. I'm not saying that they're anything like the PTC, I'm just saying their estimate of what the damage really was I would expect to be reliable.

So I called them, and they said the guitar sold at 10am this morning. I told them "yeah, I bought it..." and then they told me, "Yeah, but that's the problem.. somebody bought it just before you".

LOL - Okay, so which of you sniped my guitar???!?!?!?

They offered to fill the order same price with an '05 McCarty with original pickups, in black with original case. So I told them YES!

EDIT: And I was just emailed that one was already sold too.

Note to self - do not put links to dealer offers on the PRS forum. DOH!

102008-1000x696_zpsivxw3nep.jpg

102008B-1000x696_zpsw8wsvcjp.jpg

102008D-1000x696_zpsyp22ricq.jpg

102008C-1000x696_zpsgg7aaxzz.jpg

Last edited:
I've bought a few guitars from Daves, good shop. I saw that McCarty the other day and as soon as I read water damage I decided to pass. Sorry you missed out, but it's probably for the best. As another poster wrote water damage is insidious, in my experience there's always more than meets the eye.

I've bought a few guitars from Daves, good shop. I saw that McCarty the other day and as soon as I read water damage I decided to pass. Sorry you missed out, but it's probably for the best. As another poster wrote water damage is insidious, in my experience there's always more than meets the eye.

I hear ya. It was just sooooo pretty, and I'm all about sub-$1000 guitars with real (non pattern regular) necks.

Well, it's developed that I actually did get the above all black 2005 McCarty at the same price, even though they had it listed higher. I bumped somebody else, being I got bumped first :)

Opinions on the 2005 black?

I hear ya. It was just sooooo pretty, and I'm all about sub-$1000 guitars with real (non pattern regular) necks.

Well, it's developed that I actually did get the above all black 2005 McCarty at the same price, even though they had it listed higher. I bumped somebody else, being I got bumped first :)

Opinions on the 2005 black?

Very cool and though it's not a "pretty" Sunburst I'd say that's a better guitar...no water damage. Congrats!

Back