Tech help: 305 String height too high. Options??

satchmo72

This weekend I received one of my holy grail guitars, a 2009 PRS 305 in Seafoam Green. I LIKE how it plays now but I am trying to get the string height/action down and have run out of saddle lowering capability. The trem seems to be sitting a bit higher than the recommended 1/16th Inch. The NUT could also be sitting a bit higher than necessary. Any other time, I would just drop the trem mount screws (Ibanez) and that would be the end of it but these 6 posts seem different and I dont want to go turning if I have no idea what I'm doing. I dont see the notches and V's in the countersunk posts.

I am worried that because it is a set neck that I might not get it any lower.

What should I do?

Where on the neck does the action feel high?

That bridge plate looks slightly high, but not much. Nut looks good, but hard to tell for sure. From the photo the bridge plate looks angled upwards at the back, it should be parallel to the top. If it's indeed angled, tighten the screws that the trem springs attach to (in the back trem cavity). If the action is still high, especially if in the middle and higher frets, it's probably your truss rod. Make sure your relief is set to the spec on the PRS setup support page. Too much relief can result in high action in that way.

Edit: if still high, and you decide to lower the bridge, take all tension off before adjusting the mounting screws - strings and springs.

Just a quick reply, higher end of neck towards the pickups is where it is really high but would like it to be lower at 9th also, an over all drop of everywhere. I can see relief is going to give me a little bit of string height reduction but not what I'm looking for.

Sometimes heavier string gauges don't sit down into the grooves of the nut, maybe there was a string gauge change made and not compensated for by the 1st owner.
Since you said "if I have no idea what I'm doing", I would take it to the best guitar tech in your area for evaluation.

Good luck with it!!

Thanks guys. The tech route is starting to look more appealing as I am not familiar with the PRS trems and set necks.

Just gotta find one in Indy I trust. I have not had good luck with most here.

Edit: It does look like I could tighten up the relief just a bit.

If anything, the back of the trem looks like it is tilted down towards the back. Hard to tell because the body slants too.

Last edited:
To me it looks like it may be all of the above, the bridge needs to tilt forward ever so slightly to make it level with the flat plane in between the two pickups. The nut probably needs a touch of filing and the truss rod needs an adjustment. I would level the bridge, adjust the truss rod a touch and see where she is at the next day.

If you want a GREAT setup send it back to PTC you will not be disappointed
If you are handy setting up a PRS is really easy just be patient and make small adjustments at any one time.

I am betting the Nut is fine.
The truss rod on PRS guitars works really well ( little goes a long way )
Capo at first fret , hold down low e at last fret look at 7th fret there should be a small gap ( .010 ish ) ( I just look for a bit of light under string )
do this in the seated position with no weight on the neck if there is anything more than a small gap insert truss rod wrench and pull up or counter clockwise a very small amount ( 1/4 turn or less often times ) you should be done there ;)

Bridge - see video below from John Mann he recommends a 2.5 mm allen to do the adjustment I have lately been going lower.
1) Remove all string tension ,
2) remove trem springs ,
3) set bridge plate on the guitar body
( John Mann uses 2.5 mm allen between plate and screw head )
( I set bottom of groove even with bridge plate action will be VERY low here ) you may need to adjust saddles a bit to taste.
reinstall trem springs be sure trem plate is in grooves and restring to pitch
check that trem is level with body.
readjust to taste.

I attached some videos and specs below

https://prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html

Happy tweaking

Ok, you guys rock!!!

Got out all my stuff, made a slight truss rod adjustment (1/4 turn), leveled up the trem to even with the body using a machinist ruler (and tape over the body, I'm OCD like that) and dropped the saddle height a bit and it is almost exactly where I want it. I will check relief again tomorrow and see where it is but today it looks great.

Thanks for the encouragement. Still new to reallly setting up my own stuff, i have probably gotten rid of a lot of great guitars because I did not take the time to learn setups.

Yo Satchmo...Congrats on a beautiful guitar!!! and on setting it up!!!!!...as already stated, PRSi are really a dream to set up, as they are so easy to work on...but also, as stated before, always remember, a little goes a long way, especially with truss rod adjustments.

Ok, you guys rock!!!

Got out all my stuff, made a slight truss rod adjustment (1/4 turn), leveled up the trem to even with the body using a machinist ruler (and tape over the body, I'm OCD like that) and dropped the saddle height a bit and it is almost exactly where I want it. I will check relief again tomorrow and see where it is but today it looks great.

Thanks for the encouragement. Still new to reallly setting up my own stuff, i have probably gotten rid of a lot of great guitars because I did not take the time to learn setups.

Sweet!

Back