Swapping nuts...

PLuan

I was thinking about swapping the nut on my pattern regular neck (1.65'') with one for the wide thin/fat neck (1.687''). Has anyone did similar thing before? Was it successful? My guitar is a 305.

Why ? What's the matter with the one that PRS put on the guitar? Why do you need to change what some really smart and talented people put on there? why buy one of the BEST instruments made on the market today, just to cut it up? I'm sorry, I just don't get it...

Why ? What's the matter with the one that PRS put on the guitar? Why do you need to change what some really smart and talented people put on there? why buy one of the BEST instruments made on the market today, just to cut it up? I'm sorry, I just don't get it...

Well, if something doesn't work for you, sell it or change it. I love that guitar, can't part with it. Gotta force it to work.

I use my thumb to fret the bottom E string a lot. Now the distance from the E to edge of the fretboard is a tad too far. I love how my old strat plays, the intonation is dead on when I do complex chords. For the 305 I have to struggle a bit which causes intonation problem. I thought the easiest fix, without drilling any holes was to swap the nut.

I've learned what I prefer on a guitar from years of playing and testing numerous guitars. Maybe someone can understand what I am talking about?

Lots of really smart and talented people on this forum have changed the nuts on their PRS guitars. Some have had a luthier or tech do the work for them. Others, myself included, have done the work themselves.

I can understand the idea...only if the new nut will retro-fit properly (sanding the sides down a bit??)...I say go for it...I've been messing with some of the old hand-out chords David Grissom gave at his class back in '13-ish (??), and the funky "F" chord is a bear!!!!

I say do it. It's a cheap mod, and if it works, you win. If it doesn't, no harm, no foul,

I'm thinking the fretboard might by a little cramped (Low E to High E). The nut is going to be wider, but the fretboard real estate will stay the same.

I know exactly what you're talking about because I use a lot of "Hendrix" chords where I use my thumb to fret the low E and pinky to add embellishments.

I'd probably just keep it as is. My guitars have 1.65 and 1.687 nuts and I've learned to just appreciate them as different instruments with different dimensions.

Cheap experiment. You can always change it back. The question is whether the trem will work properly and stay in tune. You may be moving the string to a non straight path to the tuner.

If I were thinking about getting a new nut for a PRS, or any of my current guitars, I would either first call the repair shop at PRS and see if they understand what you are requesting, (I do. ), and if they would do it. Otherwise I send my gear to pros in Nashville. To attempt it myself would be pure disaster for the poor guitar at the other end of a tool in my hand. :)

What the OP is suggesting is fairly easy, not much harder than just swapping out the nut for a new one (say the old one got damaged or the user wanted bone vs whatever). The only difference will be sanding down the sides of the newer, wider nut to match the old nut/fretboard width. Since the new nut may need some sanding to get set properly anyway, this shouldn't be much more work, assuming the OP is OK with the basic modification.

Why not give it ago. There's very little risk. The difference in spacing will be small. Since you'll have a little extra width to work with, you can experiment with moving it left and right to make sure it works for your thumb before you file the sides and glue it down.

Another option is to custom cut a blank nut. You or a luthier can space the strings however you want. I'd personally keep the high E where it is, and add a little space between the rest of the strings to move the low E closer to the edge.

Why not give it ago. There's very little risk. The difference in spacing will be small. Since you'll have a little extra width to work with, you can experiment with moving it left and right to make sure it works for your thumb before you file the sides and glue it down.

Another option is to custom cut a blank nut. You or a luthier can space the strings however you want. I'd personally keep the high E where it is, and add a little space between the rest of the strings to move the low E closer to the edge.

I prefer my guitar alignment this way as well. I hate it when the high E is to close to the edge of the fret board.

Back