Super Dallas Head for Sale on CL

Feel like that is to good to be true, If I lived near there I would check it out. but otherwise be careful IMHO

It would be a completely different experience from your current amp farm. It would also prompt a new pedalboard build since most of your existing stuff probably won’t mesh with it. At least, that’s what I experienced. A journey well traveled!

I think I could pull off the pedal board with what I have. :) (I have a lot of versatility). Just debating whether or not I need another amp that needs to be loud to sound great. I've really been thinking about a Power Station lately, to use with the amps, and to amplify the modelers into real speakers. I've been putting it off for a few years but so many people just swear by them, I don't know how long I can hold off. Just read another guy over the weekend who said it's the best gear money he's ever spent because prior to buying it he was ready to start dumping great amps, because they were too loud. I keep thinking I need to get one before I buy any more amps.

Oh, and the other side of it is, another friend of mine has a great amp that he loves, but said that once he went "modeler>power amp>guitar cab" that he hardly uses his amp anymore because now he has "real amp sound with every amp I could ever want." Edit: And at any volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
The moment I need a real guitar cab, the volume thing is out of the equation. To do my thing, I have to move air. FRFR has been a different experience and changed my mind about how I can sound in he digital-scape. Happy…yeah, I’m happy with it.

When I listened to my Vela test video again, I remembered the bass bloom that is so elegant and 3D with the SuperD. My 2+ year search for the right OD pedals with that amp (I’ve had many that sounded great with the MkIII, Twin, and Bassman, but the SuperD hated them) ended up with the right stuff to push the amp’s input beautifully and remain touch sensitive. Same with the heavier dirt boxes.

When I first got the Kemper, I went the snooty route: tube power amp and real guitar cabs because there was no way anything else could sound good. It did sound good, but the idea was to lighten my load-in/out and have predictable repeatability regardless of venue. I schlepped this rig around for a couple of months:

gig-cold-rig.jpg

Not much later, health issues forced me to look for a lighter long term solution. Along came FRFR and 2000w of surprising guts. EQ tweaking for a while and I really loved the way I sounded. It wasn’t like my amps, but in its own way, it rocked…hard. I just had to open my mind to new possibilities.

Even if it’s just to explore new boundaries, get your digital solution. The fringe benefits will pay for the whole thing. It wipes the slate clean, like you’re a kid discovering your instrument all over again.

The moment I need a real guitar cab, the volume thing is out of the equation. To do my thing, I have to move air. FRFR has been a different experience and changed my mind about how I can sound in he digital-scape. Happy…yeah, I’m happy with it.

When I listened to my Vela test video again, I remembered the bass bloom that is so elegant and 3D with the SuperD. My 2+ year search for the right OD pedals with that amp (I’ve had many that sounded great with the MkIII, Twin, and Bassman, but the SuperD hated them) ended up with the right stuff to push the amp’s input beautifully and remain touch sensitive. Same with the heavier dirt boxes.

When I first got the Kemper, I went the snooty route: tube power amp and real guitar cabs because there was no way anything else could sound good. It did sound good, but the idea was to lighten my load-in/out and have predictable repeatability regardless of venue. I schlepped this rig around for a couple of months:

gig-cold-rig.jpg

Not much later, health issues forced me to look for a lighter long term solution. Along came FRFR and 2000w of surprising guts. EQ tweaking for a while and I really loved the way I sounded. It wasn’t like my amps, but in its own way, it rocked…hard. I just had to open my mind to new possibilities.

Even if it’s just to explore new boundaries, get your digital solution. The fringe benefits will pay for the whole thing. It wipes the slate clean, like you’re a kid discovering your instrument all over again.
Yeah I had to get over the lack of pant flapping on stage with the Kemper. But dayum... step wirelessly off the stage and into the audience and the sound with FRFR/Bose etc. is to die for. Fabulous, and so controllable/wide.
Lately at home I've been running through my Yamaha HS80-M monitors, and they sound awesome! Been playing the MBritt Grammatico Steel String Singer profiles (Dumble) and my lawd... It's my new amp!
I left my Kemper Kabinets at the studio for practice. Will be setting them up for stereo like at home for a tryout. Stereo doesn't always work in a 2 guitar band. We shall see. Pant flapping back on...

I have an Atomic AA3 and AA12. Many say the modeling is as good as the Kemper and Axe. I've been saying this for years here... I have a hard time dropping $2K or more for an Axe or Kemper and A) still not believing they will sound as good as my tube amps and B) fearing that what happens to old computers will happen to old modelers. That they'll fail and or become obsolete. Something I never consider with tube amps and analog pedals. That, and dropping $750-$1K for a really good FRFR, and still feeling it won't sound as good as my tube amps. LOL Dropping $3K for that is a tough pill to swallow when you can get a Louis Electric Cobra for that and have the most incredible tones you've ever heard. But a perfect example of my "issues" with them is that since I first started considering a not top of the line model Axe modeler, in just a couple years, the devices have changed 3 times! See Candidpicker's latest roller coaster with setting up a whole rig and then selling it almost immediately for newer model.... Again, something you never even think about with amps.

That said, I have been eyeballing the FM9. :rolleyes:

I have an Atomic AA3 and AA12. Many say the modeling is as good as the Kemper and Axe. I've been saying this for years here... I have a hard time dropping $2K or more for an Axe or Kemper and A) still not believing they will sound as good as my tube amps and B) fearing that what happens to old computers will happen to old modelers. That they'll fail and or become obsolete. Something I never consider with tube amps and analog pedals. That, and dropping $750-$1K for a really good FRFR, and still feeling it won't sound as good as my tube amps. LOL Dropping $3K for that is a tough pill to swallow when you can get a Louis Electric Cobra for that and have the most incredible tones you've ever heard. But a perfect example of my "issues" with them is that since I first started considering a not top of the line model Axe modeler, in just a couple years, the devices have changed 3 times! See Candidpicker's latest roller coaster with setting up a whole rig and then selling it almost immediately for newer model.... Again, something you never even think about with amps.

That said, I have been eyeballing the FM9. :rolleyes:
Good news = There's a cr@p ton of excellent guitar gear to choose from...
Bad news = There's a cr@p ton of excellent guitar gear to choose from...

You can add a crap ton of recording gear to that list, too.
I'm not getting caught up in that rabbit hole. I'm going to do some recording soon, but I'll be keeping it simple. I already dumped a grand on the Focal Alpha 65's and SSL2+, and don't plan on dumping much more on "stuff" to record. May need a new recording PC though. LOL

I'm not getting caught up in that rabbit hole. I'm going to do some recording soon, but I'll be keeping it simple. I already dumped a grand on the Focal Alpha 65's and SSL2+, and don't plan on dumping much more on "stuff" to record. May need a new recording PC though. LOL

I'm stuck a different zip code when it comes to what's needed for recording for broadcast, but in my case, it's 'overhead'. Thank freakin' goodness!

Back