Studio computer desk?

John Beef

Opaque
We had this basic computer desk from Ikea and it worked for several years, but after moving it around several times it basically fell apart. Metal screws into chipboard will only last so long. It's okay, $60 for a desk that lasted 6 years, not bad. So, we need a new desk.

I'm looking to consolidate, get rid of the too-large standalone rack I have and wondering what you guys might have in your studios. I saw a nice one on MF for around $300 that's 46" wide and has two 4 space racks integrated into it. That might work for us. I have a Digi 003 rack, a one space power conditioner and will be buying a one space 8 channel mic pre/A-D converter soon, plus a couple other random things so 8 spaces should be plenty. The bigger challenge is, I use M-Audio BX8 8" powered studio monitors which sound great but are kind of bulky, coupled with a 24" monitor, and also an old laser printer. I want to fit it all in a nook in our bedroom, and have it be organized.

Ha! I remember that thread, the toilet flange! Brilliant and hilarious.

I already have a set of stands though, when I bought my BX8s several years ago they were on a major sale and came with free stands. So, I could buy something like that and use my current stands but I would still need someplace for my rack gear.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H90642000000000_pair.jpg

Here's a shot of the furniture that I built with my brother's help several years ago. It's oak plywood sprayed black, with natural maple trim and black formica tops. The maple is finished with Tung oil. The assemblies are very, very heavy duty and sturdy, and it will last me forever. Or until death, whichever comes sooner... ;)

We welded the legs for the tables from square steel tubing, and sprayed it black. The ends of the tubing were filled in with car body filler, and sprayed black also, which gives a neat appearance and closes the ends of the tubing off from bugs, etc.

The table in the nook holds a printer, with a pull-out drawer on ball bearing glides for synth keyboards or whatever else I have on hand that isn't needed at hand.

I probably got a little carried away with materials cost, but the results are worth it, and show a bit of what can be done if you want to have something truly custom, and spend some time on it. It took a few weekends to get this built. Speaker stands are Ultimate Support MS-90s. They are very rigid, and very stable, so the monitors don't wobble and move as a result of woofer excursion. In the picture on the sides and behind the computer screen are ASC Tube Traps for bass control. I will be installing additional acoustic treatment this fall.

The main keyboard stand has rack spaces that don't show in the picture, and I assembled the under-desk rolling racks from Argosy and rolled them in. They're very sturdy, and weren't too expensive. Having these racks means I can reconfigure the room very easily as changes to my workflow are needed.

I do broadcast quality work here. It's a good sounding room, and there is a large client/recording space that you can't see in the picture.

Last edited:
Cool! That looks nice. I might be able to go that route, our drummer can weld. He sold his welding kit to buy some DW drums, which is good for the sound of the band but bad for getting things welded.

And thanks for the offer, Sergio, I might take you up on that.

Back