String sometimes slips at bridget when re-stringing

marmatkat

Hi Folks,

I've been playing my NOS 2017 CE for 1/2 a year now and I really like the instrument. One small issue that comes up is when I put new strings on.

I'll thread each one from the back through the tremelo block and up and up to the tuning machine, pull the string pretty taut through the hole, bend it, and then thumb-tighten the locking screw. I'm following one of the videos out there, and I'm confident I'm doing it correctly. However, inevitably one or two strings will slip a centemeter or two at the bridge when tuning up. I just unlock it at the machine, pull it taut again, and finish OK.

Clearly something is catching in the trem hole - I'm guessing maybe the winding at the ball end. I tried rotating the string before pulling it up through the trem, but so for no joy.

Possibly related: When I'm removing the old strings, I notice it's difficult to push the old strings back out through the trem block. I'm grabbing each one a few inches from the entry over the saddle, but it's stick. I then have to poke a cut-off low E string through next to the old string to press it out, which does the trick.

Any advice you can give to this first-time-posting newbie? Thanks!

Hi Folks,

I've been playing my NOS 2017 CE for 1/2 a year now and I really like the instrument. One small issue that comes up is when I put new strings on.

I'll thread each one from the back through the tremelo block and up and up to the tuning machine, pull the string pretty taut through the hole, bend it, and then thumb-tighten the locking screw. I'm following one of the videos out there, and I'm confident I'm doing it correctly. However, inevitably one or two strings will slip a centemeter or two at the bridge when tuning up. I just unlock it at the machine, pull it taut again, and finish OK.

Clearly something is catching in the trem hole - I'm guessing maybe the winding at the ball end. I tried rotating the string before pulling it up through the trem, but so for no joy.

Possibly related: When I'm removing the old strings, I notice it's difficult to push the old strings back out through the trem block. I'm grabbing each one a few inches from the entry over the saddle, but it's stick. I then have to poke a cut-off low E string through next to the old string to press it out, which does the trick.

Any advice you can give to this first-time-posting newbie? Thanks!
Have you tried a differend brand of strings? It might be as simple as that...

Have you tried a differend brand of strings? It might be as simple as that...

Yeah, a centimeter or two is quite a lot of slip. It sounds like maybe a the wrap at the ball end of the string is catching at the hole through the bridge plate and the ball end isn't snug up against it when you start tightening the tuner. That could be more likely to happen if the tip of the wire at the ball end isn't wrapped down tight.

I too am a newbie here as well as a newbie to PRS guitars. Just like you, I just installed new strings on my brand new SE standard 24 and had the same experience as you in trying to remove the OEM strings from the trem unit. Simply put the beads on the ends of the strings were wedged in tight inside the trem unit. I ended up doing the same as you by poking my low E string through the string blocks, but unlike you I had to resort to an small allen wench to get my A string out. (What a pain and so scary on my new guitar!) This surprised me at the time, because I've never had this kind of trouble removing any string from its trem block on any of my other guitars over the decades. Now, at least, I know I'm not the only one that has had this issue which relieves my old retired mind.

Personally, I don't think this is a string problem at all, but rather more to do with the metal surface inside the trem where the string beads seat themselves before the wire continues through the blocks....Obviously there are rough or uneven surfaces which aren't releasing the bead when tension is taken off the strings. Knowing the PRS guitars made in Asia use lesser quality metals, I have determined I'll have to live with this issue until I replace the trem/bridge sometime in the future. I suppose, technically I could call this a quality control problem or a fault in a component of the guitar and send it in for a fix, but I really don't want to have to return my 3 day old guitar that took a week to get to me in the first place, he, he.

I too am a newbie here as well as a newbie to PRS guitars. Just like you, I just installed new strings on my brand new SE standard 24 and had the same experience as you in trying to remove the OEM strings from the trem unit...

Thanks for sharing your story. I suspect the same - unfinished metal inside the block. Kind of a bummer for such an expensive instrument... Is it possible to get someone from PRS to comment/verify?

I should have said, I'm using D'Addario EXL120 Nickel Wound, Super Light, 09-42. It's hard to imagine a manufacturing problem on their end...

I talked with PRS, who want me to ship it to them. He wondered whether it was a string problem.

Sometimes the inside of the holes of the trem block on SEs will grab the string balls. You can try burnishing the insides of the holes or replace the block (John Mann makes an excellent brass block for $75). The ultimate fix would be if they just went the next size bit up when making these but... you know..

I talked with PRS, who want me to ship it to them. He wondered whether it was a string problem.

While it may seem inconvenient, I highly recommend taking any offer PRS extends to send a guitar back to them. They’ll go over that thing and treat you with the same care as if you were a rockstar.

Thanks for your comments. I asked a local well-respected guitar tech about it, who said they all have these problems. I read the above comment about core models maybe being immune, but I've decided to just deal with it :)

Thanks for your comments. I asked a local well-respected guitar tech about it, who said they all have these problems. I read the above comment about core models maybe being immune, but I've decided to just deal with it :)

Mann one piece trem will make your dreams come true.

I have had my Mann 2000NOS stick like this a few times as well. My solution has been to thread the string through the bridge and pull it back (away from headstock) then forward and thread it through the tuners. If I do this I don't get the sticking/slipping.

This is an inherit problem with almost all SE / S2 / CE guitars that come equipped from the PRS factory with the Korean made steel vibrato (trem) bridge.
IMHO... The string ball end holes in the block are not drilled to the proper size.

I guess the solution (if you are so inclined ) is to open the holes slightly with a #7 (.201") drill.... or purchase a MannMade USA bridge...

What I’ve always done, (since I come from a Fender background) is pull the string straight through the block, look to make sure it’s all the way through, then keeping tension on the string, push down on it just past the tip of the bridge saddle. Then, keeping the string parallel to the fretboard, line it up through the tuner, bend the string, wind it a few turns, then lock it with the thumbscrew. Sounds wordy, I know..lol...but it always works. I have it on my guitar bench, while I’m doing this, so physically it’s easy to do. This method works, as long as you’re looking at your guitar at every step...btw, Fender’s are much worse to string up, especially with the vintage type block. Also, I agree with John Mann, drill the hole out, or buy one of his trems, if this doesn’t work for you...good luck!

Back