String Experiment Begins tomorrow...

I've been set in my ways for a long time so it's really hard to make string gauge changes. My setup is 11-46, basically a set of .010s with the top E swapped out to .011, geared towards tone over ease of playability.

Have been considering .009s for my old arthritic fingers but last time I did, I was so disappointed trying to get a thick rich Jazz tone for single note playing I switched back, and because I use a super thick Jazz pick they just sounded too 'plinky'(if that's really a word) when I whacked away at them.

The curse of playing clean most of the time and not distorted is you have to have a really solid foundation tone to your instrument cause you're not fattening up the signal with gain.

Finally got the strings changed out; 10's to 8's.

uxtCy1r.jpg

Intonation needed just a slight adjustment on the A & G. Rear springs needed adjustment to level the bridge with the body. Much less fuss than I suspected.

Right after the setup was complete, I sat down to play a few minutes just to make sure nothing was missed. An hour later I realized it was dinner time(!) Wanted to get the DGT set up today, but it's nothing that can't wait 'till tomorrow.

Also A/B'd the two mainly for feel. It was good to play both back-to-back. Since the 10's have been my size of choice for a long, long time, they felt like home. The 8's felt great, and quite easy to fret-- which is what I was hoping for. Sound wise, just had to adjust the amp controls a bit to find my sound-- 10 seconds later and I was rockin' happily into the night :D

Hopefully the DGT setup goes as smoothly. Again, I'll report back on the results. So far I'm really digging these light strings!

Last edited:
Great that it's working out well!

With that sort of change you also may also want to check the neck relief and loosen the truss rod if necessary. Sometimes it can take a day or two for the neck to settle down.
Even if you don't have a formal gauge, use the .008, .010 and .011 strings for go/no-go checks

Completed the DGT setup...

N18lqrX.jpg

Must say, I'm loving these light strings!

My amp settings always start at noon; with 10's I usually left them there, but with the 8's I backed off the mids & treble just a touch and I was back to loving the tone.

No problems with tuning stability. Aside from the need to give the high 'E' locking tuner an extra little twist (the first try didn't hold when tuning to pitch) I don't see any downside to these strings. 8's are somewhat difficult to find in a "pure nickel" flavor, but I like the Ernie Ball set, so I'm happy :)

Another few hours playing-- and again, it made me late for dinner :D

Last edited:
Completed the DGT setup...

N18lqrX.jpg

Must say, I'm loving these light strings!

My amp settings always start at noon; with 10's I usually left them there, but with the 8's I backed off the meds & treble just a touch and I was back to loving the tone.

No problems with tuning stability. Aside from the need to give the high 'E' locking tuner an extra little twist (the first try didn't hold when tuning to pitch) I don't see any downside to these strings. 8's are somewhat difficult to find in a "pure nickel" flavor, but I like the Ernie Ball set, so I'm happy :)

Another few hours playing-- and again, it made me late for dinner :D
Awesome looking DGT!

8s are great. Seems like you took well to them. Many don't. I injured my wrist so I had to use lighter strings and it took me a while. I gradually went from 10s to 7s. It took me probably 6 months to get comfortable. Maybe you should give 7s a try since you adapted so easily.

Glad the lighter strings are working out. Rock on! :cool:

Awesome looking DGT!

8s are great. Seems like you took well to them. Many don't. I injured my wrist so I had to use lighter strings and it took me a while. I gradually went from 10s to 7s. It took me probably 6 months to get comfortable. Maybe you should give 7s a try since you adapted so easily.

Glad the lighter strings are working out. Rock on! :cool:
Thanks!

It's possible I may be having an easier time with the move to lighter strings due to the last few years of consciously working on being relaxed when playing.

I'd like to try 7's sometime. It was a challenge finding a place that carries 8's-- especially of the "pure nickel" variety. The only set of 7's I came across was by Dunlop (Billy Gibbons signature set) which was in the "bargain basket" at our local shop. Next time I'm in town I'll drop in and see if they're still there...

Last edited:
Back