String breakage?

mike jensen

Anybody having any issues with string breakage? ?
. I'm using a Core 24 with a tremolo bar which I do use but..... I have tried a bunch of different strings but settled with D'Addario NYXL They seem to last the longest about two gigs and 4 band practices and who knows how about 24 hours of practicing on my own before I break one!. I have to admit I'm a hard player and I use a 1mm pick! They break on the individual bridge but at the core and it unwinds a little so not like complete break. I'm noticing (looking with a magnifier) that they start to develop stress on the edge of the bridge coming up through the hole but actually come apart at the individual bridge. Excuse me for not knowing the correct terminology! I wrote this after breaking a D string twice in a matter of days only practicing on my own. I looked at the bridge and it had a small grove but nothing to indicate a sharpness to make it break. I have filed them down before and I will do that with this one but im starting to wonder if its where its coming through the hole and touching the edge of the bridge which is just flat. I was thinking about making a grove on the edge but dont want to screw up a good thing!. Does anybody have any ideas? Please help ! I love these guitars!!!!

You may be hitting a stress point based on where the string is hitting the various bridge points. I believe some forum members in the past have taken the balls from a previous set of strings and slid them over the string to change where the break points are and take pressure off the wrapped part of the string.

Most likely you've got a burr or a sharp edge happening there, especially if the strings are breaking in the same place each time.

You may be hitting a stress point based on where the string is hitting the various bridge points. I believe some forum members in the past have taken the balls from a previous set of strings and slid them over the string to change where the break points are and take pressure off the wrapped part of the string.

Most likely you've got a burr or a sharp edge happening there, especially if the strings are breaking in the same place each time.
Thanks for the response, I like the extra ball idea . I did file it down so Ill see in a week or so if that was the real culprit or not.

Take some dental floss and check both the hole in question and a couple of others ,,,, sort of like Phillip McKnight
does with a stocking to check frets .... if there is fraying you could either file or use 800 grit paper to smooth the
knife edge that is causing the breakage.

Sounds like you put a lot of hours in on your guitar.

When I have a gig I always put a new set on my guitar that I'm going to use that night. I think most pros do.

The strings on all of my PRS guitars last for months! I change them when I think they're starting to sound dead or when I notice little bends on the high E string where the string contacts the frets.

I can feel them when I run my hand down the string and I can see them when I remove the string.

Back