Split resistors question.

deepender

Yup
I wasn’t happy with the amount of volume drop when I split the buckers, so I installed the 1.1 on the neck pup and 2.2 on the bridge pup. (Previously installed Duncan Custom on bridge and Duncan ‘59 on the neck) Is it my imagination, or did the resistors rob some of the sparkle from the split coils? They seem darker. Could be my imagination, but I’d like to hear from you’se guys that know better than me.

Interesting question. I have two PRS guitars that didn't have the resistors in them. I put them in but didn't notice any top end loss. They did change the values of the resistors they used over the years. I wonder how those may affect the top end. I have two guitars that came with a 2.2k on the neck and an 8.8k on the bridge and those splits sound really good, probably better than the two guitars I put the 1.1k and 2.2k resistors in.

I wasn’t happy with the amount of volume drop when I split the buckers, so I installed the 1.1 on the neck pup and 2.2 on the bridge pup. (Previously installed Duncan Custom on bridge and Duncan ‘59 on the neck) Is it my imagination, or did the resistors rob some of the sparkle from the split coils? They seem darker. Could be my imagination, but I’d like to hear from you’se guys that know better than me.

One player's sparkle is another's shrill top end, but I think your assessment makes sense. The idea of the resistors is to add a little beef back to the tone compared to a pure single coil. People often complain that split humbuckers sound thin and weak.

Back