Sound properties

GuitarAddict

I have a feeling this is a complicated subject but I’ll post it anyway and throw the topic open to minds far superior than mine.
My music practice space was moved from the spare room to an outside structure (similar to a garden shed but far more posh), due to my long suffering wife being finally pregnant some 2 or more years ago.
Then due to further deterioration of my health the not shed became twice the size due to our motorcycles being sold.
My music bunker now consists of a very well acoustically treated 8x10 (2x3metresfor the younger readers) space with a very slightly smaller space separated from the first space by a dividing wall in which are four waist to ceiling size openings that may or may not once have been shed windows.
The second space has a decent amount of sound proofing and a concrete floor. The whole lot has a sloping roof so floor/ceiling reflections are not a problem.
The guitar combos/speakers cabs now reside in the extension and the amp heads reside in the main bit, or control room as my wife calls it.
So to my reason for posting this long waffling load of………
What effect will the dividing wall/openings have on the sound. Is it worth me making the hole one large hole instead of four or should i take the wall down completely.
Some attenuation of volume is a good thing as one amp which is my favourite is a non master volume. Degradation of tone or accentuated harsh frequencies is obviously to be avoided.
Any views, ideas, greatly appreciated, other than those purporting to the use of contraceptives.

This is an interesting problem. I don’t know enough to make any useful comment, but I have a bias towards bigger space.

The four openings strikes me as odd. I might cover them to see what happens, just because that is non destructive. Then I might make it one big opening, if that wasn’t going to hurt anything.

I like this thread. I hate my current music space but we have a 12x12 shed sitting on concrete in the back yard.

I've given serious thought to removing that shed and building a music shed.

My wife has canine hearing so I can't do guitar stuff early or late.

I'd love to be able to fire up an amp late st night if the mood commands it.

If I did this, it could be designed and not conformed to.

Designed and not conformed to is the key. You definitely do not want square or nearly square from the little knowledge I have.
I insulated mine with 40mm celotex which was hellishly expensive but the frame was 40mm so it made sense and I lined on top of that with 3mm ply instead of drywall. A better option would have been acoustic dry wall but live and learn. Once I’d made some shutters to cover the door joins it was pretty much sound proof.
The new bit i lined with 25 thick wool blankets as it’s all I could manage to do with my stupid back problems. Also I wasn’t sure it would work so it’s easily put back to how it was. The type used by removal firms. I read online they make do as cheap sound proofing and it works better than the heat insulation and ply on the other bit. I used some shed insulation on a roll too, the gold foil type.
If I could start over I would have a high ceiling for the sound to fill and better lay out but tbh what I have now with the extra space for the speakers and combos is an improvement. Just trying to decide if i need to take the old window frames out completely.
I

I have a feeling this is a complicated subject but I’ll post it anyway and throw the topic open to minds far superior than mine.
My music practice space was moved from the spare room to an outside structure (similar to a garden shed but far more posh), due to my long suffering wife being finally pregnant some 2 or more years ago.
Then due to further deterioration of my health the not shed became twice the size due to our motorcycles being sold.
My music bunker now consists of a very well acoustically treated 8x10 (2x3metresfor the younger readers) space with a very slightly smaller space separated from the first space by a dividing wall in which are four waist to ceiling size openings that may or may not once have been shed windows.
The second space has a decent amount of sound proofing and a concrete floor. The whole lot has a sloping roof so floor/ceiling reflections are not a problem.
The guitar combos/speakers cabs now reside in the extension and the amp heads reside in the main bit, or control room as my wife calls it.
What effect will the dividing wall/openings have on the sound. Is it worth me making the hole one large hole instead of four or should i take the wall down completely.
Some attenuation of volume is a good thing as one amp which is my favourite is a non master volume. Degradation of tone or accentuated harsh frequencies is obviously to be avoided.
Any views, ideas, greatly appreciated, other than those purporting to the use of contraceptives.
I'd need to see a diagram in order to make a suggestion.

And how do i post photos straight from my fone
Here you go

Here you go

Thanks

No takers on that then?
Spent a few days out of action so only recently got around to trying this out. After adding some bass traps in the amp side and experimenting with different cab positions I have my best ever set up.
Sounds amazing, really nice live room space. Was getting really bad comb filtering with all four window blanks out so just remove the middle two and it sounds fantastic.
Best practice space I’ve ever had.

No takers on that then?
Sorry... not sure I had a clear picture of what you are dealing with. Seems very small for a loud amp. From what I have to work with, I'd put the amp a foot or so off the middle wall of the bigger side, and leave any openings (windows?) open... and plan to play at not a lot of volume unless you have heavy room damping material.

Snap! I built this last year.

I found the addition of soft furnishings and curtains made a tremendous difference.

This is an interesting problem. I don’t know enough to make any useful comment, but I have a bias towards bigger space.

The four openings strikes me as odd. I might cover them to see what happens, just because that is non destructive. Then I might make it one big opening, if that wasn’t going to hurt anything.

Please! His wife only had the baby two years ago!;)

Designed and not conformed to is the key. You definitely do not want square or nearly square from the little knowledge I have.
I insulated mine with 40mm celotex which was hellishly expensive but the frame was 40mm so it made sense and I lined on top of that with 3mm ply instead of drywall. A better option would have been acoustic dry wall but live and learn. Once I’d made some shutters to cover the door joins it was pretty much sound proof.
The new bit i lined with 25 thick wool blankets as it’s all I could manage to do with my stupid back problems. Also I wasn’t sure it would work so it’s easily put back to how it was. The type used by removal firms. I read online they make do as cheap sound proofing and it works better than the heat insulation and ply on the other bit. I used some shed insulation on a roll too, the gold foil type.
If I could start over I would have a high ceiling for the sound to fill and better lay out but tbh what I have now with the extra space for the speakers and combos is an improvement. Just trying to decide if i need to take the old window frames out completely.
I

You’re not wrong, insulation boards are crazy expensive so I found out when I decided to use 75mm in the walls and 100mm in the floor and ceiling!

Sorry... not sure I had a clear picture of what you are dealing with. Seems very small for a loud amp. From what I have to work with, I'd put the amp a foot or so off the middle wall of the bigger side, and leave any openings (windows?) open... and plan to play at not a lot of volume unless you have heavy room damping material.
Yep, exactly how i have it after many trial and error set ups. I have the speaker cab angled slightly to avoid treble beam and lots of room treatment. I don’t play very loudly, about 85 db max due to tinnitus problems.

Snap! I built this last year.

I found the addition of soft furnishings and curtains made a tremendous difference.

Please! His wife only had the baby two years ago!;)

You’re not wrong, insulation boards are crazy expensive so I found out when I decided to use 75mm in the walls and 100mm in the floor and ceiling!
Emergency c section, so no worries about big openings. In fact if it hadn’t been for my medical background and taking her blood pressure as i knew something was wrong then they wouldn’t be here now.
But no big openings lol.

Emergency c section, so no worries about big openings. In fact if it hadn’t been for my medical background and taking her blood pressure as i knew something was wrong then they wouldn’t be here now.
But no big openings lol.
Glad that your knowledge saved your family.

Another similarity, Mrs AR had an emergency C about 17 years ago with our daughter. I had no involvement with their welfare as I have no medical knowledge, well apart from “Staying Alive”.

Back