I was watching StarTrek: Strange New Worlds last night and noticed something

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Whenever two ships collide or whenever a photon torpedo hits an eneny ship there's a loud and very audible explosion!

But there's no air in outer space to transmit soundwaves. There should be no sound.

Makes the show more exciting, which is probably why things are so noisy in noiseless space.

But still...

Really good series, BTW.

We're really enjoying it!

I’m feeling fairly certain that every single space battle in every space movie has had audible sound…every single time.

Not being mean, but is “Star Trek Whatever New Series” this is your first foray into sci-fi?

I have never been in outer space to know if you can hear things out there, as most people never have. They are making it related to what we know.

For whatever reason I have no ambition to watch the new ST. I am making my way through the Picard series. I really like the next generation. I used to watch that with my mom years ago. That brings back memories of her. The newer stuff just seems to lose something for me. I don't find the newer stuff as creative. It seems that Hollywood has lost it's creative side and is pumping out more remakes and I am over that. They keep remaking things that don't need a remake.

Ok, I’ll play - technically, there could be sound in the “shot” ship until all the air in the shot ship escapes to vacuum. You wouldn’t hear it on the “shooting” ship of course.

Ok, I’m done being pedantic for the day. Carry on.

Whenever two ships collide or whenever a photon torpedo hits an eneny ship there's a loud and very audible explosion!

But there's no air in outer space to transmit soundwaves. There should be no sound.

Makes the show more exciting, which is probably why things are so noisy in noiseless space.

But still...

Really good series, BTW.

We're really enjoying it!
I don't want to disappoint you further, but there is no photon torpedos neither

I don't want to disappoint you further, but there is no photon torpedos neither
Don’t want to disappoint you either but it’s “there ARE no photon torpedos either".

:) Joking!

Well what are they called then? Am I mixing StarTrek terms with StarWars terms?

Last edited:
Back