So, I've been on a Custom 24 kick ~~~

enigma

So, I've been on a Custom 24 kick (Standard 24 Content) ~~~

And, are you kidding me?

I just picked up a 1994 Standard 24 and, I must say, Mahogany, IMO, is by far the best tone wood, bar none! As much as I loved my 1994 CE24 with an Alder back I sold it because the Wide Thin on it was a bit too thin for me. The Standard 24, on the other hand, has a neck carve that feels like a '62 Fender round back or the new PRS Pattern neck - incredibly comfortable! Meanwhile, my beloved CU24 Artist will be loaded with my recently acquired Dragon I pickups, lest it will not see the light of day! :beer:

Last edited:
Congrats! Now let's see that sucker!

I played my Mira for a few hours today, and I love the all hog body, too. It may not be as rich as some, but it takes a hot amp like nothing else.

Miras with hogs are awesome too! Before I bought this I played it through an Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII via 2x12 Closed Back for solid 30 minutes. It sounded so good that I brought in my CE24 and CU24 to compare to make sure it wasn't the amp (I love Orange amps btw!). Hands down, the Standard 24 was the winner, followed closely by CE24 and CU24.

Last edited:
Standards are awesome. I will always keep at least 1 all hog guitar in my arsenal. They have a more focused tone that rocks with gain.

Standards are awesome. I will always keep at least 1 all hog guitar in my arsenal. They have a more focused tone that rocks with gain.

"Focused" - that's a good word to describe the tone!

"Focused" - that's a good word to describe the tone!
Yes, that's always how I've described the difference between standards and customs, particularly with high gain. Solid mahogany has always seemed a bit more focused and slightly "tighter". Everything stays together a bit more, which is why they are great with high gain IMO.

You snagged the one in Totowa NJ GC, didn't you...take good care of her, almost bought her to go along with my 1993 Standard, also in Vintage Cherry. KILLER! She looks like she is in great shape, going to stop staring so I don't regret not pulling the trigger ;)

You snagged the one in Totowa NJ GC, didn't you...take good care of her, almost bought her to go along with my 1993 Standard, also in Vintage Cherry. KILLER! She looks like she is in great shape, going to stop staring so I don't regret not pulling the trigger ;)

I saw and played it last week. I waited a few days to buy it after I had the chance to sell my '94 CE24. And, when CE24 was sold I went back to GC to see it GONE!!! I was really bummed! Then, several days later it appeared back on the website. So, I rushed to GC and snagged it! It was meant to be! It is really in great shape! :)

Nice! I have a hankerin' for another C24. I didn't think I missed mine until I recently played a new one: Autumn Sky, IRW neck, uncovered 57/08's... damn.

The only 24 fret PRS I have is the KL1812. Probably weighs about 5 lbs, and has Mira/245 pups. It is very lovely indeed!!!

Mahogany is great, but lightweight korina is killer too...

The only 24 fret PRS I have is the KL1812. Probably weighs about 5 lbs, and has Mira/245 pups. It is very lovely indeed!!!

Mahogany is great, but lightweight korina is killer too...

I may have to rekindle myself with Korina. I used to own a McCarty Korina, but didn't bond with it - most likely due to the McCarty pickups.

I may have to rekindle myself with Korina. I used to own a McCarty Korina, but didn't bond with it - most likely due to the McCarty pickups.

Seems to me the Korina they used in the KL series was unusually lightweight - perhaps part of their raison d'être and also the reason why it was only 100 guitars per model available... whereas although maybe not universal, I've seen some heavy McCarty Korinas...

No doubt too the McK being a 22-fret guitar would make it sound different from a 24 fretter.

Back