SKB 3i-4214-PRS Case For My SE Tremonti Custom

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
I have the PRS Multifit cases for all three of my SEs:
2012 SE Santana
2012 SE Custom 24
2012 SE Tremonti Custom

The PRS Multifit cases fits all three, but the Tremonti is a thick guitar, and the neck will not lay flat unless you put a towel underneath the back side of the lower guitar.
The other two guitars are a perfect fit and the necks lay flat as they should.

I took a chance earlier in the week and ordered the SKB PRS case from Sweetwater, and it arrived yesterday.
Wow, what a tank of a case.
Waterproof, air pressure equalization, TSB locks, and the neck of the Tremonti lays flat as it should.
Reason it does this I think is the cavity for the lower part of the guitar is around 2" deep, and the PRS Multifit case is around 1.75" deep.
This lets the thicker Tremonti sit lower, thus letting the neck now have full support.
I think if the PRS Multifit case was just a little deeper, the thicker guitars like the 245 and Tremonti Custom would allow the neck to have full support.

I was a little concerned the storage area has no fold down/snap lid to keep the contents from spilling out and into the guitar area, but Sweetwater assured me when the lid is down it for a tight seal on the storage area too.
The case also has built in wheels so you can tow this behind you like luggage.
It is pricier than the PRS cases, but I thought it well spent to keep the Tremonti in.

Here is a link to it with full specs:
SKB 3i-4214-PRS

Here are a few pictures.
Had the flash on, but the nice gray/black color of the guitar does not come through.
I think it is getting time to look for a new camera.

This will probably be the only SKB case I buy, as I am perfectly happy with the other PRS cases for the other two guitars.
May try the new 408 MT (on order, hope to have it in May) in this one though to see how it fits, and if I go somewhere to jam, may transport it in this one.

Tremonti in the new SKB case

1.jpg

Tremonti in the PRS Multifit case

2.jpg

Closed

3.jpg

SKB case at around 2" depth in the lower cavity

4.jpg

PRS Multifit case at around 1.75" depth in the lower cavity

5.jpg

Thanks, it is very heavy duty, and I would not be afraid to fly with a case like this if I was taking a guitar with me on a jet.

I had to call the shop yesterday that is building my custom case cabinet and have them make the inside dimensions to 46" wide instead of 42", as this case is longer than the PRS Multifit/Vintage ones.
It is a little higher, but they are making the insides 7" tall, so it will work out fine for that.

IMHO this is one beefy case that will protect your guitar very well.

I've seen this case online before and just haven't pulled the trigger on it. I wish SKB made one of their regular Pro Series cases for the PRS shapes - they're considerably cheaper, which is a nice thing for those of us that aren't exactly gig warriors but want something other than a bag for transport.

I'm sure its heresy to even mention here, but I recently acquired an EVH Wolfgang Special (the Chinese one) and it *came* with an EVH-branded "striped" SKB Pro Series case. I dig the design. Not as heavy duty as the roller/waterproof one you have here, but good enough for my needs.

Nevertheless, thank you for the review and photos. I may get one of these yet for my S2 Custom 24.

You are welcome Herbie.
I have two of the SKBs now.
Had to pick one up for my new Zack Myers I bought awhile back, as the PRS hardshell case does not fit it perfectly to let the neck lay flat.
The lower bout is fat, and the PRS case is not cut deep enough.

The SKBs are cut deeper allowing the guitar to lay perfectly flat.

Back