Show your pedalboard!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John Beef, Apr 24, 2013.

1. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

I admit it. 13 years ago I found a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood in the dumpster outside my apartment. I made a pedal board out of it. Many revisions later I'm still using it. It's not pretty, but it has worked for me for a very, very long time!

[​IMG]

From the backside you can see where I mounted the DC Brick power box and transformer so I just plug an extension cable into it to power the whole board.

[​IMG]

Recently I picked up a Line 6 M5 in order to get some modulation back on the board. It is also going to replace that old TR-2 from the 1990s. Hoever, as you can see, it's a little bit big for my board. Also, I'm having power issues. the 500mA it draws is too much for the DC brick. I can run either the DD20 or the M5 but not both.

[​IMG]

As such, it might be time for a ground up overhaul. Our drummer can build some amazing things and has access to all sorts of aircraft machining tools through his work. We might build something new.

So, show me what you've got! Give me some ideas since I have the freedom to do whatever here!

2. CoreyT

CoreyT PRS Addiction

I need a closeup of it.
    Pedaltrain 2 with Voodoo 2 Plus power supply.

[​IMG]

3. rugerpc

rugerpc A♥ hoards guitars ♥A

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poverty is the mother of scrounging. Good job, John!

4. cjmwrx

cjmwrx Wheels

[​IMG]

#4 cjmwrx, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  5. Chris528

Chris528 New Member

I used to have several pedals which took up too much room. So I got a Digitech RP1000 for my Egnater stack and only use a EHX Metal Muff with my Mesa.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. boxstop7

boxstop7 New Member

I'm in the process of building a pair of pedalboards. So far I've finished the board I'll use for my electric shows, and I'm currently working on the one I'll use for my acoustic shows. I'm also building accompanying ATA cases for each board. Here's the electric board:

[​IMG][/IMG]

Here's the back...I used a little aluminum corner extrusion as a small backplate for the "upper deck", which basically holds all the stuff that's going through my amp's effects loop:

[​IMG][/IMG]

I really like those Hardwire pedals, obviously. The Tube Overdrive is nice and crunchy without being muffled, and the Valve Distortion is by far the best overall distortion pedal I've ever used. The Metal Distortion is kinda crap, and will likely be replaced with a Micro Metal Muff in the near future. The delay and reverb pedals offer so many options within a tiny stompbox. All in all, I'm happy with the build. If folks are interested, I'll post pics of the boards in the ATA cases once they're done.

#6 boxstop7, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  7. Rango

Rango New Member

As it sits today... Four "loops" going on - Front of amp, effects loop of amp, vocal effects loop to mixer and Piezo to mixer

[​IMG]

8. aduayer

aduayer New Member

9. Rango

Rango New Member

Love the mini boards! I need to build one. ;) For "Grab and go" with my Champ! :D

10. helmi

helmi single&swampy

whatever works for you is all that matters.

11. aduayer

aduayer New Member

I am too lazy and/or too old to carry gear (amps, cabinets, more then 1 guitar and heavy pedal board) so the mini board is thr one I use the most. It;s the mini board with a guitar on a gig bag and I am ready to rock. if it's a special event/gig, then I bring the weapons of mass destruction...LOL

Disgoduc likes this.
  12. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I originally made this board as part of a music stand that was attached to a keyboard stand I built that matched it. But as I moved from handwritten lead sheets to computer lead sheets and notation, it sat in my storage room for years. Over the winter I realized it'd made a nice pedalboard, so I attached feet to it.

The interconnects are now all PRS. Plenty of room for future additions. ;)

[​IMG]

#12 LSchefman, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  13. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

It would be nice to have a big board like that and spread things out, but I'm trying to keep it all transportable for gigs and stuff. Mine is cut to fit in a case that looks like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This case and pedalboard have been all over North America with me and have served me very well, especially for the $25 I spent on it maybe 10 years ago. The case looks like hell but is still 100% functional. I'm hoping to find something that can fit into a similar but slightly larger case (if I can find one), or perhaps make something that uses the space slightly more efficiently so I can use the same case again.

14. tolm

tolm New Member

Been through a few boards (all made more wood, glue and sticky-back,Velcro!) and layouts but this is what I'm running presently:

[​IMG]

15. Catch

Catch New Member

Yes, I have a pedal problem:

[​IMG]

16. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

So, a lot of you guys are running Pedaltrains. Do you prefer the wedge shape over the two tier shelf shape? Or is that just of how it is and you haven't really debated the two basic designs?

17. jfb

jfb New Member

I am so addicted to pedals it's scary. They are my Pokemon.

18. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

I bought a DC Brick way back when, so if I understand it correctly it's not as easy to attach one of those to a Pedal Train.

I was sort of able to re-work the underside of the shelf to fit both wall warts and the DC Brick but it's far from optimal. I think it's time for a new one. (please bear in mind the cables have not been organized yet in this photo)

[​IMG]

19. CoreyT

CoreyT PRS Addiction

Pedaltrain mates up to the Voodoo after drilling a few holes.
    PT has their own power supply coming out too.

[​IMG]

#19 CoreyT, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  20. RedGuitars

RedGuitars New Member

[​IMG]

Another Pedaltrain/Pedal Power II here... although I just swapped the Boss Blues Driver for a Timmy (from Guitar Sanctuary at the Dallas show) - verdict still out on that one, not enough time to play with it.