Should I Clean SE Custom 24 neck?

BrendanDolan

I'm going to clean & polish the body of my SE Custom 24 35th Anniversary for the first time when I install some new locking tuners. I ordered the PRS Care kit. Should I clean and polish the maple neck or just leave it alone. I love the feel of the neck and don't want to make it sticky or anything. I don't know if it has the same finish as the body. Also does anyone know what version of finish is on the body? I understand there's a couple of different kinds... TIA

Reactions: jxe
I thought all SE necks were gloss finished...is yours not?

Most cases, if there's a clear gloss coat on the neck, it's ok to go ahead and clean it with the same cleaner you'd use on the body.

If it has a satin finish, then a simple wipe down with no cleaner is the best course of action....same with the fretboard.

Thanks guys. Satin finish. I'll leave it alone. Feels great. I'll just wipe it with a micro fibre cloth after use. I'm assuming the PRS cleaner and polish is fine on the body?

I thought all SE necks were gloss finished...is yours not?

Most cases, if there's a clear gloss coat on the neck, it's ok to go ahead and clean it with the same cleaner you'd use on the body.

If it has a satin finish, then a simple wipe down with no cleaner is the best course of action....same with the fretboard.
Satin. Don't know about the other SE's as this is my first one although I know there are a few differences with the 35th anniversary edition - abalone bird inlays, Paul's guitar type toggle switches for independent coil splits, TCI pickups, I think that's it....

Satin. Don't know about the other SE's as this is my first one although I know there are a few differences with the 35th anniversary edition - abalone bird inlays, Paul's guitar type toggle switches for independent coil splits, TCI pickups, I think that's it....

Yeah, every SE Custom 24 (35th or otherwise) I've seen has always had a poly, clear-coated neck. The only SE's I've seen with "satin" necks (from the factory) were the Zach Myers signature and maybe the Mikael Akerfeldt before they were discontinued.

A couple links showing your guitar but with glossed neck...

Pretty sweet you got one with the satin neck! Would love to see some pics, if ya' got 'em!

Yeah, every SE Custom 24 (35th or otherwise) I've seen has always had a poly, clear-coated neck. The only SE's I've seen with "satin" necks (from the factory) were the Zach Myers signature and maybe the Mikael Akerfeldt before they were discontinued.

A couple links showing your guitar but with glossed neck...

Pretty sweet you got one with the satin neck! Would love to see some pics, if ya' got 'em!
I now realize I'm wrong. You're right it's not a satin neck. Still feels pretty sweet though. Wonder if it could be refinished with a satin neck..... ;)

I now realize I'm wrong. You're right it's not a satin neck. Still feels pretty sweet though. Wonder if it could be refinished with a satin neck..... ;)
You don’t need to refinish it to make it satin….. I’ve had John Mann’s guy satinize the neck backs on both my DGT and Santana SE….. don’t know what he used but both now feel incredible…0000 steel wool, mask the pickups with painters tape , or Scotchbrite (better) and micromesh will work as well with no iron filings!

Last edited:
You don’t need to refinish it to make it satin….. I’ve had John Mann’s guy satinize the neck backs on both my DGT and Santana SE….. don’t know what he used but both now feel incredible…
I have not done it myself, but have read on here from others who have used Scotch Brite pads to do the job with great results

Back