Should be interesting...

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
So we played a benefit show this last Saturday. Always hard to guess how these types of things will go in terms of, well, everything.
It was outdoors, kinda hot, nothing overhead which can kind of be a pain for seeing. Overall things went well. They raised the money needed, so that was good. They were really appreciative of us playing and I'm glad we could help.
The bad...
They were running everything off a generator. No issues with the band before us. Well, knocked the power out 3 times. After the first time I lost my power amp that I slave off my Archon for the wet side of my rig. So no reverb or delay for 99% of the show. Not a huge thing, but takes me outta my vibe a little. Made it through fine, not my best show personally, but it is what it is. I'm glad we could help.

Now the tough part. No time to troubleshoot the amp. We have another show Wednesday opening for Otep. It's a very short set, but all our gear(besides guitars) is staying packed up in the trailer until then. All my channel and effects switching is done via the Voodoo lab ground control pro. Very used having everything programmed with minimal tap dancing. So I'll be rolling with just the Archon and a handful of pedals without rehearsals. I'll do fine, but I'd prefer to be more prepared opening for a national headlining band. Hopefully it goes smoothly.

So we played a benefit show this last Saturday. Always hard to guess how these types of things will go in terms of, well, everything.
It was outdoors, kinda hot, nothing overhead which can kind of be a pain for seeing. Overall things went well. They raised the money needed, so that was good. They were really appreciative of us playing and I'm glad we could help.
The bad...
They were running everything off a generator. No issues with the band before us. Well, knocked the power out 3 times. After the first time I lost my power amp that I slave off my Archon for the wet side of my rig. So no reverb or delay for 99% of the show. Not a huge thing, but takes me outta my vibe a little. Made it through fine, not my best show personally, but it is what it is. I'm glad we could help.

Now the tough part. No time to troubleshoot the amp. We have another show Wednesday opening for Otep. It's a very short set, but all our gear(besides guitars) is staying packed up in the trailer until then. All my channel and effects switching is done via the Voodoo lab ground control pro. Very used having everything programmed with minimal tap dancing. So I'll be rolling with just the Archon and a handful of pedals without rehearsals. I'll do fine, but I'd prefer to be more prepared opening for a national headlining band. Hopefully it goes smoothly.

When all else fails, crank it 'n' rip! Congrats on the opening spot for Otep. That's really cool!

You'll be your own harshest critic. Just remember - practically no one but you will know there's anything different.

The pedals don't make your playing.

Now go out and knock 'em dead!

I read the OP as an endorsement for why I keep my rig simple. Handful of pedals into the front of a clean amp. But you'll rock it, man. Think of it as a "throwback" show to the days before you had all this fancy cool stuff. ;) It'll probably be fun.

To Alan's point: no one will know, unless you have obsessive guitar-playing fans who scrutinize your gear every show. Our front woman's brother once said to me, "I don't know why you guys have all those pedals. You never use them." The other guitarist and I used every pedal on our boards (except the wah for me that night). :rolleyes:

Just remember to head bang a bunch and hold up your guitar like a rock star! Congrats on the gig and good luck, bro!

Just don't do this.

gene-simmons-fall-o.gif

Sorry if I'm in broken record mode...(you've all probably heard this before)

Any time we do outdoor gigs with a generator, I take a server-grade UPS (battery backup) big enough for everything. That depends on the band and their PA rack, but sometimes I take 2 or 3 UPSes. The 1500VA model has either covered the PA only or the two guitarists and bass. That and another 750VA model typically covers most of us. Your situation is obviously much larger, so the sizing will probably be different.

Not only does this cover your a$$ for overload/shutdowns, but also the inherent transient surges and insane ripple known to back feed from construction-grade generators. Furman makes compact solutions.

Thanks guys. I'm not worried anyone watching will hear any difference. I'm aware most are oblivious to any sonic change. More that I'll execute changes and not stumble. I'm a creature of habit when it comes to that stuff. I'm sure I'll be fine.

Sorry if I'm in broken record mode...(you've all probably heard this before)

Any time we do outdoor gigs with a generator, I take a server-grade UPS (battery backup) big enough for everything. That depends on the band and their PA rack, but sometimes I take 2 or 3 UPSes. The 1500VA model has either covered the PA only or the two guitarists and bass. That and another 750VA model typically covers most of us. Your situation is obviously much larger, so the sizing will probably be different.

Not only does this cover your a$$ for overload/shutdowns, but also the inherent transient surges and insane ripple known to back feed from construction-grade generators. Furman makes compact solutions.
Unfortunately we didn't know the situation regarding where/what the situation regarding power was concerned. You're right though, we should have asked and been prepared with battery backup. Hopefully it just blew a fuse in my amp and didn't take the power tubes or worse.

Back