Seven and eight string guitars - will PRS ever expand their offerings?

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Last year I picked up a headless 8-string guitar (Legator Ghost) with fanned frets because I wanted something different, and it was small enough (due to headless config) that flying with it seemed feasible (not yet explored that yet).

I found it fun to shred on, but it is not built for chords, especially in the first position (a.k.a. cowboy chords, the usual D, G, C, Am etc chords) - the string spacing was compressed to allow for a narrower neck, but my fat sausage fingers can't make clean string contact.

I poked around and found other headless 7/8 string makers also often had that compressed string spacing - I even emailed Kiesel to ask them, and they confirmed. Even the PRS 7-stringers have an ever so slightly narrower string spacing than their WF/WT 6-stringers, but it is not a big amount, and it is spread evenly, so I can adapt to it. Feels like a "Regular" width, I suppose. I have no idea what the string spread is on PRS's 8-stringer.

Then I found out that Strandberg has a string spacing identical to the WF/WT stringing of a 6-string PRS: 7mm center to center. At least, on their 7-stringer Bodens.

So I picked up a Boden NX Prog 7 last week, which has a trem. Chording is so much easier, because it is identical in feel to my usual guitars. The mild fan of the frets is also nice: just enough to add that extra scale length on the bottom, but not so much that it confuses me when trying to find the right fret. And the trem makes for an added dimension compared to my PRS 7 stringers.

If PRS ever makes a 7 stringer with mild or no fanning and a trem, I'd snag it. Core, S2, or SE. But for now, I'm happy with my Boden Prog. It is very travel-ready - the headless design is an inch shorter than the Legator Ghost, and the gig bag makes for a good overall shape/size.

An 8-string PRS in the regular line-up with a mild fan would be also a strong acquisition.

But I don't see PRS ever making a headless design, so if I were to travel and wanted to bring a guitar I'd take the Strandberg right now.

I’ve seen some YouTubers suggest that people are moving away from 7/8 strings and more to low tuned 6 or baritones. So the market may not support adding models.

I think they wont. PRS is doing all to wash of the nu-metal stigma.
There are a lot of non-"nu-metal" bands that play 7 and 8 stringers, and PRS happily associates with Mark Holcomb (Periphery) and his models. "Djent metal" is nothing to shy away from, IMHO.

I’ve seen some YouTubers suggest that people are moving away from 7/8 strings and more to low tuned 6 or baritones. So the market may not support adding models.
Well, if YouTubers are predicting the future of anything, I'm running to the bank with it...:rolleyes:

From what I've seen, the 7 and 8 string guitar market is fairly healthy with lots of options from various makers, and while one could say that the market is therefore saturated, you could say the same about the T-style market, cough cough.

I guess I'll just end up buying the specific "extended range" products I want from other companies, while still rounding out my PRS collection of 6-stringers. My GAS for a Holcomb SVN with the new pickups has dissipated, for example, because it wasn't sufficiently different from my non-Holcomb SVN, while the Strandberg _is_ very different from my SVN.

It seems PRS have their hands quite full in the more traditional markets these days.

Private Stock has proven they can make some absolutely incredible multi-scale 7-strings, though. I'd think they could roll them down to Core without too much trouble if they wanted to. They gotta follow the money, though, so I'm sure they'd only do it if they think it'll pay off.

There are a lot of non-"nu-metal" bands that play 7 and 8 stringers, and PRS happily associates with Mark Holcomb (Periphery) and his models. "Djent metal" is nothing to shy away from, IMHO.
Im not saying I like it, but this is what I see.

I was a 7-string player (Ibanez LACS, EBMM JP7) since the late 90s, through the better half of the 2000s, and I still have an itch for ERG guitars. But with PRS's urge to be more classic than contemporary, I just don't see it

Hello guys!!

I have the same problems that you have.
Right now I have 2 PRS Mark holcomb SVN, but i would love to have an 8 strings.

Prs Mark holcomb svn 2023 is in drop F. 12-80 string gauge.
Prs Mark holcomb svn walnut is in drop G. 11-68 string gauge.

But i would love to tune lower, to Drop D#1 so I would love to have 1 more string and a bit more scale (Mark Holcomb is 26,5”)

I have a Prs Mike mushok baritone with 14-80 string gauge in drop D#1, but i would love to have an 8 string guitar…
Can we do something?

Hello guys!!

I have the same problems that you have.
Right now I have 2 PRS Mark holcomb SVN, but i would love to have an 8 strings.

Prs Mark holcomb svn 2023 is in drop F. 12-80 string gauge.
Prs Mark holcomb svn walnut is in drop G. 11-68 string gauge.

But i would love to tune lower, to Drop D#1 so I would love to have 1 more string and a bit more scale (Mark Holcomb is 26,5”)

I have a Prs Mike mushok baritone with 14-80 string gauge in drop D#1, but i would love to have an 8 string guitar…
Can we do something?
Can we do something? Us randos on this forum? No.

Can you, the PRS Pulse Artist, do something? Yeah, you can contact Bev and see what she says.

When Paul starts loving 7 and 8 string guitars, then you'll see some 7 and 8 string PRS models.

Apparently he doesn't love Dragon 1 pickups either!

Go figure!

Last edited:
Again, I don't see that happening. Paul stated in more than a few interviews (look up the one with Rick Beato) when he said that recovering from nu-metal stigma took him years. He won't touch anything seven strings with a 5ft pole.

And again, I would like it to happen, I dig ERG's

Back