Set Up frequency opinions: 24 vs 22 fret necks

Set Up frequency opinions: 24 vs 22 fret necks

• My 24 fret necks are more responsive to the environment and require more frequent adjustment

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • My 22 fret necks are more responsive to the environment and require more frequent adjustment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're really about the same, or I can't say I have noticed

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

John Beef

Opaque
I find that the 24 fret neck on my Mira is more responsive to environmental changes and requires a quick turn of the truss rod nut every few months. Nothing major and no complaints, just noticed it. My Custom 22, and my SE Santana for that matter, I cannot remember the last time I had to adjust the truss rod on either. I was wondering what your experience has been.

On a side note, I have been watching a lot of House of Cards and as I was typing this post the words were sounding off in my head as if Frank Underwood was reading it back to me.

I have not noticed a difference, in fact I had to adjust all seven of my guitars necks about two weeks ago.

I only have 22 fret PRSi but what I've noticed is that some guitars tend to require more frequent adjustment, or maybe its some guitars in some tunings :iamconfused:. Of 5 SC's I've only had to adjust one "often" and then it was only when the guitar was tuned in Drob B (B, F#, B, E, G#, C#); as soon as I changed it back to a more regular tuning [Drop 3? (B, A, D, G, B, E)] the neck stabilized and after setup it has not needed adjustment.

Wait! These guitars have truss rods? I thought the forum TRC was just a decorative addition, like a tie or pants!

How do you notice that they need adjustment? Do you notice how it plays, or intonates, or do you check measurements. I'm sort of curious because a recent Les thread got me thinking about why it is that I just don't seem to notice (my old SG hasn't been adjusted for about 20 years, and I'm probably too stupid to notice...)

How do you notice that they need adjustment? Do you notice how it plays, or intonates, or do you check measurements. I'm sort of curious because a recent Les thread got me thinking about why it is that I just don't seem to notice (my old SG hasn't been adjusted for about 20 years, and I'm probably too stupid to notice...)

I notice by how it plays and more importantly how it sounds. The action on your guitar and the amount of relief the neck has makes just as much or more of a difference in sound to me than the settings on pedals,amps, etc...

I noticed by how it plays, and I notice it immediately when I pick up the guitar. There's really no other variable that's going to have an effect on your action day to day, unless you've got a loose screw or something. I have noticed my Mira's action rising the last month or so, and it's the guitar I keep in my office for now. I hadn't broken it out in like a week because I've been both very busy and also very sick. Over the last week the action seems to have doubled in height off the fretboard around the 12th-15th frets. I would call it very high now. So, I'll take it home, give it a little love and some new strings, it'll be good as new.

EDIT: Oh, and as far as tuning, these are all standard/drop d tuning guitars and 25" scale lengths, all strung with 11-48 or 49.

I notice by the feel.... but one neck size vs. the other doesn't seem to make a difference... I prefer almost no relief in the neck

I think the difference between 22 vs. 24 frets is a much lesser variable than between neck thickness.

Everyone's results will vary with this topic, but in my case I have 3 main guitars at the moment. A Custom 22 with Wide-Fat, an almost identical Custom 22 with Wide-Thin (says the modcat, I have a suspicious feeling it's more of a Regular), and the SE Tim Mahoney, with the Wide-Thin.

With the WF, I can tune it anywhere from Drop-B to standard and it really doesn't move. I barely ever have to touch the truss rod unless I'm drastically changing string gauges.

With both WT's I need to tweak the rod if I change tuning anymore than a half step. Keep in mind I also am EXTREMELY picky about the relief in my necks. I've developed a very strict preference and easily get my guitars where I want them.

The Tim Mahoney, which feels like a true WT, is the most finicky, with the Custom being a little more tolerant. But again the neck is actually in between the SE and the WF Custom.

Either way, all three are very good at keeping set if I keep the tuning and gauges the same.

Back