Seeking Armchair Legal Advice!

Not a lawyer, but my impression of this is that there is no infringement. That doesn't mean you wouldn't get a cease and desist and have a legal battle.

My first thought when I read the post was of the band Jellyfish (wikipedia). I saw them live several times. Both of their albums are good, but their first one is really fantastic. Not death metal, though.

Your graphic did then get me to SpongeBob, one of the few actually enjoyable shows I used to watch with my kids when they were little. If I ever have to watch another Thomas the Tank Engine I think I'll . . . well, best left unsaid.

Oh, and I just noticed the Amon Amarth t-shirt. I saw them twice. One of many enjoyable shows I went to when my son got a bit older. I'm not a death metal guy, but it sure was fun.
The bassist and other guitarist are bandmates from before jellyfish jam. When the other guitarist brought the bassist in, the bassist requested we play Guardians of Asgard. I hadn't heard of Amon Amarth before, but I learned the song and really liked it. We got together to play and the bassist was like "yeah man Amon Amarth is playing in NYC tomorrow night. You guys wanna come?"

So I went from never having heard of them to playing their music and seeing them live in just a few days. It was a great show! Super fun band bonding experience too.

The bassist and other guitarist are bandmates from before jellyfish jam. When the other guitarist brought the bassist in, the bassist requested we play Guardians of Asgard. I hadn't heard of Amon Amarth before, but I learned the song and really liked it. We got together to play and the bassist was like "yeah man Amon Amarth is playing in NYC tomorrow night. You guys wanna come?"

So I went from never having heard of them to playing their music and seeing them live in just a few days. It was a great show! Super fun band bonding experience too.
Did you get on the filthy, scuzzy floor and row? :p:D

I've been listening to the Sidewinders lately and always found it unfortunate that when they finally got some momentum they got sued over their name and changed it to the Sand Rubies. After the name change and some record label drama they threw in the towel, which is sad for a band that had been successful enough to have Pearl Jam open for them.

Last edited:
There's no copyright in a title. They don't qualify for protection under the copyright act. Copyright law doesn't apply to band names.

There can be band trademarks. There are several types of trademarks: Federally registered trademarks, state trademarks, and common law trademarks.

Even if a trademark isn't registered, it still might be in use in commerce and qualify for protection under one of the common law qualifiers. Until your band starts booking the big shows and/or selling records, it may be premature to worry about this. You can always change your band name up to the point where it becomes a brand with significant value.

Well, our motto has always been... “The PRS FORUM- Making dreams come true since Al Gore invented the internet.”
Wait...I dreamed that I invented the internet. Since this is the PRS Forum, and it makes dreams come true...

Hey, I just got my first billion dollar royalty check!

In a play on "The Rip Van Winkle Caper," a Twilight Zone episode where thieves go into suspended animation for 100 years in order to sell a million dollars worth of stolen gold when it's no longer 'hot', and the story line kills them off, the last guy discovering that 100 years into the future gold has no value, they've learned how to manufacture it...

"I've been saving this billion dollars for years, now I'm gonna have some fun!"

"Have you been to a Starbucks lately, Les?"

"No, why?"

"Cuppa coffee costs a billion dollars now."

"How much is the coffee at Caribou?"

Well, our motto has always been... “The PRS FORUM- Making dreams come true since Al Gore invented the internet.”

Wait...I dreamed that I invented the internet. Since this is the PRS Forum, and it makes dreams come true...

Hey, I just got my first billion dollar royalty check!

In a play on "The Rip Van Winkle Caper," a Twilight Zone episode where thieves go into suspended animation for 100 years in order to sell a million dollars worth of stolen gold when it's no longer 'hot', and the story line kills them off, the last guy discovering that 100 years into the future gold has no value, they've learned how to manufacture it...

"I've been saving this billion dollars for years, now I'm gonna have some fun!"

"Have you been to a Starbucks lately, Les?"

"No, why?"

"Cuppa coffee costs a billion dollars now."

"How much is the coffee at Caribou?"

You and Galileo

Back