SE std 24 vs. Custom 24

Fireheart7

Hey everyone,

SE Tremonti owner here. Looking to switch to a different model. Oddly enough, because of the weight. My back is not agreeing with basically 10 lbs. Guitar, when playing live.

Anyway, looking at SE std vs. SE custom specs. it seems only the veneer is the difference. Pickups, tremolo, nut, all the same, right? Asking because if looks is the only difference, the std. Tobacco sunburst might be the best value in all the SE line...

Are there any differences I'm missing?

The custom has both a maple cap and a veneer. The standard is all mahogany with no cap.
Got it, so tonewise, potentially/theoretically more high freqs on the custom. More warmth on the std. Thank you! This helps.

Don't forget there is also the semi hollow version of the SE CU22 if you want light and don't mind losing 2 frets. Those are often under 7lbs and 1lb lighter than the regular ones.

Don't forget there is also the semi hollow version of the SE CU22 if you want light and don't mind losing 2 frets. Those are often under 7lbs and 1lb lighter than the regular ones.
Thank you for bringing that up! Do you know if the neck is the same radius wise?
And overall, tonewise what would the semihollow bring.

Thank you for bringing that up! Do you know if the neck is the same radius wise?
And overall, tonewise what would the semihollow bring.

I don't own one but I do have a SE Zach Myers which is a semi hollow SE. I'd say the attack was slightly softer than a solid body. Acoustically the wound strings have more resonance but plugged in your probably not going to notice much difference. If there is it might be a tiny bit of reverb that makes it sound slightly more open. The biggest benefit is the weight los. On my Zach Myers the cavity extends 2-3 inches from the F hole and the top is not very thin because of the roughly 1/2 inch maple cap. So it's not THAT hollow. I expect the semi hollow CU22 to be similar.

You will probably notice a bigger difference with the pickup placement. The 24 fret guitars have the pickups closer together so both end up being closer to the bridge where you have more treble compared to a 22 fret guitar.

I don't own one but I do have a SE Zach Myers which is a semi hollow SE. I'd say the attack was slightly softer than a solid body. Acoustically the wound strings have more resonance but plugged in your probably not going to notice much difference. If there is it might be a tiny bit of reverb that makes it sound slightly more open. The biggest benefit is the weight los. On my Zach Myers the cavity extends 2-3 inches from the F hole and the top is not very thin because of the roughly 1/2 inch maple cap. So it's not THAT hollow. I expect the semi hollow CU22 to be similar.

You will probably notice a bigger difference with the pickup placement. The 24 fret guitars have the pickups closer together so both end up being closer to the bridge where you have more treble compared to a 22 fret guitar.
Got it. Kinda wish there was a 22 standard.

Back