SE Custom 24 mod

theDeepender

Yup…
Someone suggested that I post a thread on my mod I did about 6 years ago.
I started with a TUSQ graphite nut.
The most expensive part was the pups. I removed the stock zebra pups and installed a Duncan ‘59 at the neck and a Duncan Custom at the bridge. I also replaced the stock surrounds with core black ones.
Then, the knobs. I thought the stock knobs looked like a weird orange that just didn’t match the finish. So, core knobs and a black switch tip.
I opted for just using Mann saddles instead of replacing the whole unit. (That might still happen.
Then the wiring. I used 500 ohm push/pull for both the volume and tone controls, and wired them for humbucker/true single coil, and experimented with different caps on the tone and treble bleed. I liked Kinman style bleed best. I also located them on top for easy access in case I decide to experiment some more. I used cloth covered vintage wire until it ran out just before installing the treble bleed.
Then I blocked the tremolo with a block of basswood. I could have removed the springs, but I wanted to keep it together, so I just loosened the springs a lot and put some foam behind them.

There you go! Looks fantastic too
Thanks.
I know that there are some core snobs around here, and who can blame them, but I am always amazed at the look and playability of the SE line. The combination I’ve lucked into is very well liked by everyone who plays it. It seems they love the pups both on single coil best. I think it sounds better than a Strat.

Thanks.
I know that there are some core snobs around here, and who can blame them, but I am always amazed at the look and playability of the SE line. The combination I’ve lucked into is very well liked by everyone who plays it. It seems they love the pups both on single coil best. I think it sounds better than a Strat.
There's more pro SE guys around than not, especially with us tweakers.. You can mod a helluva guitar for less than you'd have into an S2 or run with it stock and be completely happy before the internet told us otherwise.

Great selection on the pickups, SD are always a good choice for the win.

There's more pro SE guys around than not, especially with us tweakers.. You can mod a helluva guitar for less than you'd have into an S2 or run with it stock and be completely happy before the internet told us otherwise.

Great selection on the pickups, SD are always a good choice for the win.
Ya know what sold me on Duncan? They go to great lengths to get you to know the basic sound of each of their pups. They provide a textual description, frequency charts and recordings of each pup clean, overdriven, soloed and in a band setting. They also suggest preferred pairings. And they caution that each instrument that you put them in might sound somewhat different than the recording. In my experience, they delivered as expected.

Last edited:
Back