SE Custom 24 is making me a saaaaaad Panda.

I'll have to check on pressing behind the nut. If I bend a string, sometimes it stays sharp or flat, other times, it goes flat. I have been backfiling to keep that angle in place, though I'm also being really careful to try not to take anything out of the bottom of the groove. Just the sides. I'm really hoping not to need to modify my new guitar for it to be playable.

All mentioned above will help. My opinion is that no trem is exactly perfect, just the nature of springs vs strings and other parts - but you can get it close. Check out the Parker Fly forums - there is a procedure on that forum for getting it in tune and its really stable on the Fly. I use the last part of the procedure on my Custom 22 PRS even though the trem is completely different.

Basically, work each string, do a quick trem dive, it will most likely go sharp, tune the string down, quick trem dive, re-tune. Keep doing this and do this for each string. Now, it should be more stable, but sometimes when you bend (especially the G), it will go a little flat - tap the trem bar down and it should jump into tune. Again, not a 100% "perfect" solution.

Having alot of tuning issues with my Custom 22. Will not stay in tune. Stoptail and locking phase III. Considering installing a Floyd Rose which I would hope would cure my issue. Thoughts please? thx

I know that this topic (tuning stability on SE's, or lack thereof) has been discussed on many threads here over the years. I would think that PRS would use this forum as an opportunity to take this feedback and try to address this.

The other common thread I see here is that most people are changing out the stock 9's. Why not just set them up at the factory with 10's - probably the most commonly used string gauge. If you want to switch to 9's, then no problem. This will also be consistent with the stock string gauge on most Cores.

@Shawn@PRS any chance you can get this feedback to management ? :)

Our return rate on the SE models is less than 1% across the board. This includes finish issues, electronics issues and set up issues. We don't have a problem with SE's staying in tune. 99.9% of tuning issues are caused by a bad set up. Once the set up has been corrected, the tuning issues go away.

The 9 gauge strings used on the SE's have worked well for us for the past 16 years. They are easier on your fingers than 10's, while still offer nice tone. Installing a set of 10's on your guitar is easy enough if that is your gauge of choice.

Our return rate on the SE models is less than 1% across the board. This includes finish issues, electronics issues and set up issues. We don't have a problem with SE's staying in tune. 99.9% of tuning issues are caused by a bad set up. Once the set up has been corrected, the tuning issues go away.

The 9 gauge strings used on the SE's have worked well for us for the past 16 years. They are easier on your fingers than 10's, while still offer nice tone. Installing a set of 10's on your guitar is easy enough if that is your gauge of choice.

^^This^^ is why I'm trying to go one step at-a-time in looking at my problem. I introduced a significant change into a historically consistent system by having it set up for 11s, instead of the factory 9s. Hopefully, it's just a matter of time before I sort it out.

^^This^^ is why I'm trying to go one step at-a-time in looking at my problem. I introduced a significant change into a historically consistent system by having it set up for 11s, instead of the factory 9s. Hopefully, it's just a matter of time before I sort it out.

The PTC can do an amazing set up for you if you can't find anyone local to do the work.

The PTC can do an amazing set up for you if you can't find anyone local to do the work.

I would love to have it done at that level of skill. Unfortunately, I'd have to drive 90 minutes to find a UPS, where I could ship it, pay an arm and a leg to ship it, aaaaaaaand be without my gorgeous guitar for however long all that took.

I can't imagine the level of sadness.

Is the tension between trem springs and strings equal? Not sure if you checked this already, but your bridge should be flat (parallel to the body wood). I regularly use 11s on my SEs even before I install locking tuners and they are pretty stable guitars overall.

Is the tension between trem springs and strings equal? Not sure if you checked this already, but your bridge should be flat (parallel to the body wood). I regularly use 11s on my SEs even before I install locking tuners and they are pretty stable guitars overall.

Yes. The trem is set up for the 11s. It's floating parallel. I'm sure it's something I've overlooked.

Last edited:
Having alot of tuning issues with my Custom 22. Will not stay in tune. Stoptail and locking phase III. Considering installing a Floyd Rose which I would hope would cure my issue. Thoughts please? thx

IMHO installing a Floyd Rose in a stop tail CU22 is a great way to wreck a perfectly good guitar. !
AS far as tuning issues go, I cant imagine what could be happening, how about some pictures of your set up, stringing , intonation.
Have you tried tightening the tuner buttons some ?
Just a tip folks when posting about issues with your guitar the more info we have the better the info you will get !!!
Picture is worth 1000 words!.
And last PTC is going to be your best place to go when having issues with your PRS guitar, I have only had 1 guitar issue ( out of 30 PRS ) and PTC took care of me 100% just saying

Back