SE 594 Fretwork

MarcWink

Okay, I really want a 594 DC, but I don’t want to go S2 or Core for that purpose as I’m not sure whether I’d be swapping the pickups and electronics for a set of Bare Knuckle Manhattan humbler sized P-90’s. That being said, the SE 594 seems like it would fit the bill as a decent host for this experiment. My trepidation, the horrible experience I’ve had with my SE Silver Sky Maple. It’s been an $850’guitsr plagued with issues I’d expect of a $300 guitar…i.e horrible fret work, a nut that on one wasn’t finished properly and in the replacement, wasn’t glued properly, pronounced dead spots on the first one. I can overlook some things, but my curiosity is whether the SE 594 DC suffers the same fretwork foibles as I’ve run into with my SE SS Maples. I actually can’t believe that I’m even entertaining the thought of getting another SE.

Agreed I'd go with a used S2 594 they're made by the same people making the core guitars. Can find them used for pretty cheap too. I always end up feeling like there's something missing from an SE I don't know why.

I suppose, to expand on my previous comment - in the past I have been a very emphatic supporter of the SE line, but recently I went to the shop and the majority of the SE’s they had, had some obvious fretboard/fretwork issues. A brand new DGT SE with a nasty couple of cracks in the rosewood board, naturally occurring but should never have made the cut to be on a guitar nonetheless, and some pretty bad tooling marks from fret finishing on the board. A few others had good boards, but stray tool marks on them as well. I’ve never seen SE QC issues like this in the past. I think I’m moving to the “S2 or don’t bother camp” at least until I see some solid work coming out of CorTek.

Edit: at least for those looking for a serious instrument. Still a good beginner guitar in many cases, but they lost me on the “serious instrument” market when they went to the $499 price point in 2024. I couldn’t get one that cheap when I got into the brand 15+ years ago. It’s not what it used to be, and I think that’s ok when we consider getting people into guitar, but after the intro, move to S2.

Last edited:
I suppose, to expand on my previous comment - in the past I have been a very emphatic supporter of the SE line, but recently I went to the shop and the majority of the SE’s they had, had some obvious fretboard/fretwork issues. A brand new DGT SE with a nasty couple of cracks in the rosewood board, naturally occurring but should never have made the cut to be on a guitar nonetheless, and some pretty bad tooling marks from fret finishing on the board. A few others had good boards, but stray tool marks on them as well. I’ve never seen SE QC issues like this in the past. I think I’m moving to the “S2 or don’t bother camp” at least until I see some solid work coming out of CorTek.

Edit: at least for those looking for a serious instrument. Still a good beginner guitar in many cases, but they lost me on the “serious instrument” market when they went to the $499 price point in 2024. I couldn’t get one that cheap when I got into the brand 15+ years ago. It’s not what it used to be, and I think that’s ok when we consider getting people into guitar, but after the intro, move to S2.
Disappointing isn't it? And yet, it was expected by lots of people way back when PRS started their SE line.

PRS made its reputation on fanatical quality, beauty and solid tone based on US-made guitars coming from its Maryland plant. The wood is of the best quality and it's properly dried. The workers have worked and learned their jobs under people who have built them since the early days. The hardware is excellent. The pickups sound great.

US-made PRS', whether Core or S2, feel like instruments that meet the expectations of the market. Some are fancier than others, but they're almost always very sweet guitars, made as well or better than anyone else's.

The reputation is still deserved for its US lines.

Is it being tarnished by declining quality in the stuff they make in someone else's factory that simply carries a PRS decal? I guess that's debatable, but the vagaries of overseas manufacturing make it a risk.

We often see people here in recent years saying, "I bought an SE because PRS' are supposed to be perfect, yet this one is far from perfect."

Well, not only is it not perfect, what's little understood is that it isn't a PRS, regardless of what the headstock says. The guitar is designed and licensed by PRS, yes -- but it's built completely, 100% by a different company. There are no two ways around this. It's the nature of off-shoring. PRS is the customer for these companies, not the manufacturer.

A variety of unfortunate trade-offs set in as market pressure has forced even those third party manufacturers to move production to places where labor is the cheapest they can find.

Hence, formerly made in Korea, now made in Indonesia.

I don't know where they'll have to go next. But it probably isn't going to be pretty.

Going offshore you're stuck with the manufacturing quality level of whoever can build the object to a reasonable standard for the lowest price, and you're also stuck with the vagaries of overseas manufacture, including materials, environmental conditions like high humidity (bad for guitar building), and the lowest-paid labor.

If PRS did what Gibson does with Epiphone - slap another name on the foreign guitar - it might be less problematic.

It's pretty lame that people give lip service to ideas like "buy American made products," when the fact is that most Americans don't want to shell out the coin to actually follow through on that concept.

I'm not sure there's a reasonable solution to this problem.

Compared to other overseas made guitars, in the UK the SE range carry a higher price point than say Epi or Squier.

Whether that premium comes from the extra QC check they receive from PRS Europe, as I cannot imagine that isn’t factored into the price point.

I know that we pay a premium here anyway, because of import fees/taxes. However the other makes are subject to this also.

For example an SE 594 is priced almost double the cost of an Epi LP of similar spec. So it’s reasonable to expect that the PRS instrument would carry less issues than the Epi.

These recent issues with fret work/sprout were previously not as common, or certainly that would seem to be the case. Hopefully what’s shared here and any other feedback that comes via dealers will be taken on board by PRS and this issue is addressed.

As a long time PRS player, I'm DEEPLY disappointed with the lack of quality I've seen in the SE line. While I agree 100% that I would have no issues with fretwork on a used S2, the point of not getting a used S2 is to save a few bucks on the base guitar that will, in all probability, be used as a base for an upgrade-o-rama, hence I'd like to avoid incurring the additional $400-$500 on the base guitar, especially since I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2024 S2 Custom 24-08 and 2024 S2 544 SC (this will be in place of the 2024 Core Custom 24-08 I had been sitting on cash for prior to the announced upgrades of the S2 line). Having said that, I may have to just scrap the SE 594 DC project altogether thanks to the, sadly, more than uncommon fretwork and lumber issues in the present SE lineup.

Instead of an SE 594, I may try to locate the right second hand S2 Standard 22 and then upgrade it with a drop in core Custom 22/24 wiring harness and some 57/08 pickups as something different from my humbucker guitars...though I'll admit a set of EMG's isn't off the table either if I go that avenue, especially with them being solderless installation.

Back