SE 24-08 vs SE Paul’s Guitar

The Badger

Hi Guys - I’m in the UK & both guitars (SE 24-08 & SE Paul’s Guitar) are a similar price and I have held/tinkered with both of them, they both felt great & comfortable (though I’d prefer a satin neck) and from what I can see spec wise, they’re quite similar. Could some of you more experienced players tell me if they sound any different or if you prefer one over the other. If they weren’t a similar price, making a decision would be easier.

Many thanks,

Kierri

The neck carves should also be different.
Yes - I think Paul’s Guitar has a fatter neck carve, though to be honest… I didn’t find one more difficult to play than the other. Both guitars have the toggles for coil splitting and it seems like they have the same pups too I think they’re both very similar - but I’m still learning and if they do have the same pups & they both come in the same colour I’d want etc they’re the same price more or less… then how does one choose… but I’m terrible at making decisions….

Thank you :)

Biggest difference that comes to mind is the 24/08 has a trem, where the Paul’s is a fixed bridge.
I saw that Paul said the fixed bridge is basically a Private Stock bridge on a cheaper guitar - but how does the bridge effect playability if you never use the trem in the first place? What I mean is, both guitars seem to have the same (ish) price, same colour (for me, faded blue burst) same electronics, same pups - with only the bridge & neck carve being different.

Are neither superior to each other?

Thanks,

Kx

if they do have the same pups & they both come in the same colour I’d want etc they’re the same price more or less… then how does one choose… but I’m terrible at making decisions….

Thank you :)
Trem or no trem, what's your preference? What's your playing style? Do you have any guitars now with a Trem, and if so, how much do you use it? A fixed bridge guitar is easier to keep in tune, and easier when changing strings. Some feel they also resonate better.
On the other hand, if you *do* use a Trem, even sometimes, PRS makes great ones and it makes that guitar more versatile to have it as an option for when you want it.
Of course the real answer is to ultimately buy both. And then another PRS. And another, and another...;)

I saw that Paul said the fixed bridge is basically a Private Stock bridge on a cheaper guitar - but how does the bridge effect playability if you never use the trem in the first place? What I mean is, both guitars seem to have the same (ish) price, same colour (for me, faded blue burst) same electronics, same pups - with only the bridge & neck carve being different.

Are neither superior to each other?

Thanks,

Kx

The bridge on the Pauls is aluminium with brass inserts. It’s a nice piece of engineering on an instrument of its price range.

The trem bridge will give a different tonal response due to construction of the guitar, with it having a trem rout and springs, as well the rest of the trem machinery.

Both instruments are very versatile.

I’m sure you’ve watched them, but there are a lot of great YouTube vids of both these guitars.

Either one will serve you well. As others have stated, it's going to come down to preferences. I for one would take the SE Pauls over an SE Custom 24 for a couple of reasons, I prefer 22 frets to 24, I tend to prefer fixed bridges to tremolo bridges as my playing style doesn't have me using the trem, I also like a slightly beefier neck profile (i.e. wide-fat or pattern regular as opposed to wide-thin or pattern thin), and I also like that I don't have to do anything in the trem cavity to tame the vibrations from the tremolo springs.

I have a Paul's SE and a 35th, which save for a few cosmetic things is basically the same thing as a 24-08.

The biggest plus on the PG is the bridge. It's literally the same one on the $4000 core. It's a great bridge! I don't care for the SE trem saddles. I had a few intonation issues that all went byebye once I put mannmade saddles in.

The biggest things the 24-08 (or 35th in my case) has going is the trem system, 24 frets, and objectively better stock tuners. It will be more versatile in the end.

The neck pattern is a matter of preference. I can feel the difference between the wide fat and thin. I can't say I like one over another, they both feel good.

In the end, with one will be a stellar axe for you! Personally...I do like my PG a little more, but I think that's sentimental value.

Last edited:
Trem or no trem, what's your preference? What's your playing style? Do you have any guitars now with a Trem, and if so, how much do you use it? A fixed bridge guitar is easier to keep in tune, and easier when changing strings. Some feel they also resonate better. [..]
Last but not least a fixed bridge facilitates palm muting.

I've played both, and liked both, but I feel the Paul's Guitar is on a different level than the 24-08. The few I've played have some of the lightest and most resonant woods I've experienced on an SE. In addition to the differences others have listed above, I also prefer the mahogany neck on the Paul's, to the maple neck on the Custom. Not so much because of the shape - like you @The Badger I can get along with either shape very well - but the tone of the mahogany neck is warmer and with more note bloom, vs more percussive and immediate with the Custom.

Back