School Me on Growth Rings

HERE'S HOW IT ALL WORKS:

Pages-from-June_2000_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg

Wow, you learn something new everyday! Didn't know this even had a name and that some people liked it!

I have growth rings in my SE Santana and I've had them in a Les Paul in the past. I've always thought they got in the way of the flaming, thought it meant a lower rate top. They don't bother me, but can't say I love them, I think pure flame looks cleaner. Sometimes, from a certain angle it looks cool.

Wood is a very cool material.
Flat sawn at the back, quartersawn front left and radial sawn front right?

The back is FLATSAWN.
The front left is PLAINSAWN, I believe.
The front right is QUARTERSAWN. All describe how the FLITCH was cut from the log. A FLITCH is a successive stack of boards cut from the same log. You may hear of FLITCHCUT blanks, meaning they were cut from the same log in order and numbered.

The following link will help explain the differences between GRAIN, FIGURE, FIBER, MEDULLARY RAYS, and all else. Every piece of wood has all of these. Knowing the differences allows gifted lumber cutters to get wood's maximum character to pop out.

http://workshopcompanion.com/KnowHow/Design/Nature_of_Wood/1_Wood_Grain/1_Wood_Grain.htm

Enjoy.

As you can see from my NUGDs post earlier this week, I really like the look of tops where prominent, generally vertical growth rings intersect with regular horizontal flame. The Santana in my avatar is a good example:

fBkeQzV.jpg

Two questions for you congnoscenti:

1) How persuaded are you that narrowly spaced growth rings, as in the Violin guitars, makes for an appreciable difference in maple-topped electric guitars?

2) Many of the select quilt tops on PS guitars show little evidence of growth rings: e.g., this stunning 594 on Brian's site:
http://briansguitars.com/product/paul-reed-smith-private-stock-mccarty-594-sub-zero-glow.
Am I correct that the process that creates quilting in the first place tends to minimize the growth rings?

And a third for the rest of us:

3) Do YOU like prominent growth rings and, if so, do you prefer them parallel to the neck, wavy or even circular?

1) Depends on how many beers I've had

2) Depends on how many beers you've had

3) Too many questions in one sentence, gonna need more beer :)

Back