Schaller Security Locks

Raymond

Schaller Strap Locks

I want to installed a pair of these on my guitar but fear that I will ruin them so before I do I have a few questions so would be grateful if someone can confirm something for me:

1 - is it easy as remove old strap buttons and put them in?
2 - which screw do I use, the PRS one or the Schaller ones?
3 - where can I get some fabric/felt to go under the strap lock?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have these on all of my guitars.
Use the stock screws, and if one does not fit, no worries, the Schaller will work OK too.

The new supply of Schallers for 2014 are shipping now with black felt pads, as I needed new locks for my ZM.

I have used Schallers for years. Only issue I have with them is if your strap does not have a very thin end then it is a pain in the a$$ to install the locking nut down onto the threaded portion, or the hole is so small that the threaded end does not fit in well/correctly. On nice leather Levy's straps the ends are thick and I have had to hammer the hole area flat with a ball peen hammer so the locking unti will start onto the threads.

In the last year I started testing the Dunlops which are also very good units.

Yeah what Wedge said too.
Some straps are easy to get the parts put on, others are harder.
I actually stripped one of the nuts threads one time putting it onto a thick Levi leather strap, and others I had to open up the hole a bit with scissors.

My current straps I am using now it is much easier to put them on.

I just like the extra security of using these.
As a kid, I almost lost my '73 Les Paul Deluxe due to a strap falling off, not cool.

Never had a strap fall off the stock strap buttons on any guitar; playing live shows and in studio since 1967.

Yes, this even includes late 60s psychedelicized shows...when I was...well...let's just say the Crab Nebula was closer to Earth than where my mind was during some shows... ;)

So what the heck do you guys do on stage (or in your music rooms) that the relatively huge PRS buttons aren't enough to secure your straps? :iamconfused:

Just remember to check the nuts on the Schallers each time you hook the guitar up. I've used them since they first came out and never lost one yet, but I did catch the nuts coming loose from time to time.

I believe the stock screws are #6 x 1 1/4" (oval head Phillips). I bought some extras, but didn't need them. The only thing that would make me say, "I quit" would be if I had to fill in the screw holes to use a smaller screw. If your guitar uses a #8 screw, the head won't fit in the Schaller button without getting out the Dremel. As others said, putting the fitting on the strap is a bit more complicated.
You'll need to take some small cutters, and nip a tiny bit off the hole in the strap. The stock strap has a hole about 1/4" and the Schaller will need to put something about 1/2" through. It's easy. Just nip the corners of the "keyhole". Then, add the washer, nut, make sure the "U" is facing up and tighten the nut. I'd recommend a drop of Locktite, but that's just me. A drop of fingernail polish would work too.
It takes longer to describe this than to do it.
As far as Dunlops, To me, they stick out too far and put a sideways load on the screw.

My Schallers came with felt washers, and the stock screw also had them.

If you leave the strap on your guitars, then the stock PRS buttons are the way to go.

Last edited:
Straplocks are an absolute requirement on old Gibson Explorers. The worst strap button positioning ever and so tiny to boot. Personally, I've never even come close to having a problem with the PRSi strap buttons, unless you count actually getting a thick PRS leather strap to go over them in the first place!

I've used Schallers for years on my Explorer and Strat. You MUST check them before each use or you will eventially be sorry! Never lost a guitar with them yet, but I've come dangerously close. I just picked up a used Lester Custom that had Dunlops already on it. I really like those, but I have only had < 1 month actual experience with them, but they certainly seem very well designed.

I've put Schallers on most non-PRS guitars. Like everyone else has said, use the original screws and don't crank down so hard that the screw strips the hole.

I've never put locks on a PRS. I love the stock buttons. Cool repurposing of a piece of guitar history!

I didn't like the Dunlops because you can't use a strap without locks in an emergency, and the strap ends up being farther out from the body, which puts more torque on the strap button. I never had an issue, but the thought bothered me. I DID leave a strap at home! and had to pray the replacement wouldn't slip off the end of the smooth Dunlop button during a show. Not cool.

I didn't like the Dunlops because you can't use a strap without locks in an emergency, and the strap ends up being farther out from the body, which puts more torque on the strap button.

The new versions of Dunlop's address this and have what look like normal buttons that can hold a strap and also accept their normal strap end securely. They don't stick out much farther, if any, than a normal button.

There are some strap makers that will make bigger holes in their straps to accommodate strap locks.

put a little but of blue loctite on the threads of the straplock nut if you go with Schaller - will prevent it from backing out

Raymond - sent you a PM.

I've been able to use the original PRS screw for all my Schallers on PRSi. And I haven't had to nip the straps, but it is a bit of work to get the strap component started. Once that's done, it's fairly easy. And a definite +1 on periodically checking the hardware for tightness.

Trampoline-needing wuss...

I do backflips up to a raised platform while flipping two guitars in opposite directions.

I'm a klutz and I've had one experience with an old SG taking a nosedive and surviving it and that was enough for me. Schallers on EVERYTHING no matter the brand or value. It's worth it for me. But I'm not a very physical guy onstage as far as thrashing around, it's just that I'm accident prone.

I will give credit to PRS in that their buttons are by far the best I've seen on a stock guitar, but I'm so used to Schallers and the comfort of using them. And I can change out straps on guitars quickly and with wireless packs that's handy sometimes.

Back