Safe picks to use with prs

I dunno... ...I'd love to have a guitar on which I'd put enough hours and gigs to result in this. And this is a player who is as completely in control of his picking technique as it gets. Take note, as well: this guitar has been a flagship model for the company since the 1920s. It's something a lot of people would baby and stress over every scratch.

photo09.jpg

If digging hard with your pick is your playing style and you are comfortable with that, there is nothing wrong with that. But expecting a guitar not the feel the aggression is unreasonable. Get a pic guard - that's what they are for!!!

I'm in the camp of wanting my picking to be more accurate and precise. If my pick ever touches the guitar surface, I, personally, feel as though I'm getting sloppy and will take steps to correct.

I dunno... ...I'd love to have a guitar on which I'd put enough hours and gigs to result in this. And this is a player who is as completely in control of his picking technique as it gets. Take note, as well: this guitar has been a flagship model for the company since the 1920s. It's something a lot of people would baby and stress over every scratch.

photo09.jpg

Respectfully, I disagree. If he were in complete control, there would be no scratches. That scratch below the f hole certainly has nothing to do with control.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Respectfully, I disagree. If he were in complete control, there would be no scratches. That scratch below the f hole certainly has nothing to do with control.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Well some scratches happen when you gig the crap out of a guitar for 40+ years.

But the picking technique that wears a divot in the wood is 100% intentional and thought-out. Not "standard" perhaps but art > standardized/safe/careful technique.

Lots of fabulous players chew hole into their guitars with their pics. Doesn't make it right, doesn't make it wrong.

I use clear vinyl film as a pick guard. Even on my Lowden acoustic. Nothing wrong with some prevention, since even people with great technique can get overly enthusiastic if the mood strikes. And on my Private Stock? Dang right I'm going to try to prevent scratches if I can.

The film adheres with water, pulls off in a flash, and doesn't hurt the finish.

Getting my first prs, a P245. I was wondering if there are any picks in particular that are good for not scratching the finish? My playing tends to lead to lots of contact on the body with the pick, and I don't want to ding up the finish if I can help it.

They can't stand up to a heavy pick. This is a Ce24.
CE_close_liten.jpg

That ain't playwear! THATS playwear! ;)

IMG_2667_zpsbo3wmlu9.jpg

IMG_2668_zps8byyx1cj.jpg

Dunlop Jazz III Max-Grip picks have worked well for me. They require you to focus more on controlling your pick hand motion (since they are smaller) and they have made my playing much tighter and less sloppy. A regular sized pick feels oversized to me now. That being said, I have some pick scratches on my PRS from getting overly aggressive time to time.

Warning: If you're going to cock up the guitar because you can't control your picking hand, your license to play a PRS may be suspended, and further violations may lead to revocation of your guitar playing license, and/or a lifetime sentence to playing the banjo. In addition, any damage to the finish is on you, not on us.

;)

I play mine like it owes me money. I couldn't care less if I get pick scratches or pick dings (and that includes my employee HB II). But, i only play mine like that. I treat other peoples with kit gloves.

I play mine like it owes me money. I couldn't care less if I get pick scratches or pick dings (and that includes my employee HB II). But, i only play mine like that. I treat other peoples with kit gloves.

I remember my mother wearing kid gloves in the 50s. Very soft stuff, baby goatskin.

You realize that I was kidding about the scratch warning, of course.... ;)

Of COURSE you should play yours the way you want!!

I use 2.2mm chicken picks now and love them. No gouges on my beauties and even after throwing them through many different styles of music.

Learn control over your right hand as much as your left.

Neither do I, none of my PRSi are scratched up nor my others apart from my Strat. The pick guard on that is scratched but by my fingernails as I rest them on there while finger picking but that's what Strats do, my previous one was the same. If it bugs change the pick guard.
Either cut your nail. Or your
finger tips Lol. But seriously keep your nails nice and short andPolish them, I have the same problem and starch up some of guitar, until I became aware

Last edited:
Getting my first prs, a P245. I was wondering if there are any picks in particular that are good for not scratching the finish? My playing tends to lead to lots of contact on the body with the pick, and I don't want to ding up the finish if I can help it.
FWIW,I actually play with the wide side of the pick (Dunlop Nylon .88) having the narrow end pointed toward the web of the hand between my thumb and index finger Maybe give that a try ? I can't blame you for wanting to keep it pristine, but I think "battle scars" are pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Most of the time the starches that you think are made by pick it actually made by your fingernails, cut your nails and sand them with a nail stick. At least that would take care of the starches coming from nails.

Most of the time the starches that you think are made by pick it actually made by your fingernails, cut your nails and sand them with a nail stick. At least that would take care of the starches coming from nails.

Luis pacheco
New Most of the time the starches that you think are made by pick it actually made by your fingernails, cut your nails and sand them with a nail stick. At least that would take care of the starches coming from nails.

I just got 2011 Santana prs USA in mint condition ,and I intend to try to keep in that condition , one obout a prs they play and sound like a dream but it a shame you always have to be so careful with them ,became one dink or scratch the value drop significant

Back