Safe picks to use with prs

fgeorge097

Getting my first prs, a P245. I was wondering if there are any picks in particular that are good for not scratching the finish? My playing tends to lead to lots of contact on the body with the pick, and I don't want to ding up the finish if I can help it.

Silk picks....o_O

If you are the kind of player that strikes the body, you are going to dig a hole in the finish no matter what pick you use. You could put one of those stick on plastic sheets on where you strike the body and let the cover take the beating.
Products24440-1200x1200-306768.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think there's really a great solution for this. Sure, there are softer compound picks out there, but using those won't necessarily guarantee no scratches. Plus, you'll be going through them quickly if your picking habits have been known to cause scratches in the past.

PRS guitars use a very durable finish, so major damage shouldn't be a concern. If it really bothers you, your best bet is to focus on your picking hand and try to lighten or soften up your picking. I had the same concerns when I purchased my first PRS and tried to make adjustments to my picking, but eventually lost that focus and just played it.

My other suggestion is to find a good polish that works great for removing light scratches and do your best to clean up your guitar after playing.

Again, you really shouldn't have too many issues, PRS finishes are tough and can take quite a bit. However, keeping it pristine will be challenging....for that I'd suggest finger-picking.

If I were you, I'd reconsider the purchase, or get some lessons. Every PRS guitar comes with this warning:

Warning: If you're going to cock up the guitar because you can't control your picking hand, your license to play a PRS may be suspended, and further violations may lead to revocation of your guitar playing license, and/or a lifetime sentence to playing the banjo. In addition, any damage to the finish is on you, not on us.

;)

Every PRS guitar comes with this warning:

Warning: If you're going to cock up the guitar because you can't control your picking hand, your license to play a PRS may be suspended, and further violations may lead to revocation of your guitar playing license, and/or a lifetime sentence to playing the banjo. In addition, any damage to the finish is on you, not on us.
;)

Yep, after reading the warning, Pete decided that he had to stick with:

It takes skill to be able to mute all unwanted strings with the lefthand and go nuts bashing on the strings with the right.

I just don't want to beat up the finish with the pick if it can be avoided

Yep, after reading the warning, Pete decided that he had to stick with:

Yup. I remember him being so angry about his inability to prevent scratches to his guitars that he smashed up all his guitars after every show.

That of course was why he did it, right? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tag
It takes skill to be able to mute all unwanted strings with the lefthand and go nuts bashing on the strings with the right.

If you've gotta bash, have at it and don't worry about the finish.

Seriously, a pick soft enough not to scratch the finish of a PRS would be useless as a pick. You can rub the finish of most guitars (including a PRS) with a cotton cloth, and get swirl marks. There's no pick that won't mar it.

Last edited:
I find that the gray, Dunlop .73 nylons do a good job of not scratching the wood and finish of a guitar. I find the worst to be the Fender MOP picks made out of hard plastic. Just me. The gauge doesn't matter, just the material.

My finger sitting on the body usually are what causes ware on the finish near the bottom e-string. My nails must do the scratching. I have kind of stopped doing that since I got my P245.

Congratulations on your guitar. Is it in route, on its way, in transit? Must show pic when you get it.

If muting the strings is your concern get a fretwrap, but worrying about pick scratches is like hoping your new car never ever gets one dent.
http://www.gruvgear.com/fretwraps

Because the the deep carve on the core PRS I don't have any issue with pick and body contact

PRS guitars use a very durable finish, so major damage shouldn't be a concern. If it really bothers you, your best bet is to focus on your picking hand and try to lighten or soften up your picking. ...
Again, you really shouldn't have too many issues, PRS finishes are tough and can take quite a bit. However, keeping it pristine will be challenging....for that I'd suggest finger-picking.
They can't stand up to a heavy pick. This is a Ce24.
CE_close_liten.jpg

They can't stand up to a heavy pick. This is a Ce24.
CE_close_liten.jpg

So...you know...there's this whole "aiming" and "eye-hand-coordination" thing that seems to be missing...

Not that I want to tell someone else how to live their own life, but...it's entirely possible to play, and play hard, and only hit the strings with the pick.

I find that the gray, Dunlop .73 nylons do a good job of not scratching the wood and finish of a guitar. I find the worst to be the Fender MOP picks made out of hard plastic. Just me. The gauge doesn't matter, just the material.

Thanks! Very helpful. Any more suggestions?

I don't have any issue with pick and body contact
Neither do I, none of my PRSi are scratched up nor my others apart from my Strat. The pick guard on that is scratched but by my fingernails as I rest them on there while finger picking but that's what Strats do, my previous one was the same. If it bugs change the pick guard.

It takes a lot of woodshedding to stop playing like that. I used to do it all the time. I learned I can play a lot faster if I concentrated on my picking technique for a while. Side benefit is a lot less time coming in contact with the body with my picks. Now the only body scratches on my gear is on the pre-owned stuff.

Back